What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Millward

BankstownDragon

Juniors
It is still not known what the salary cap will be. If teams like the rorters suffer the NRL may bow to their commands allowing a high salary cap. If this happens we have more tough years ahead.

Agree and I believe this be the more likely outcome.
We never seem to get it right with ref to the balance of the salary cap. We always seem, and I say this because we are not privi to anything behind the Iron curtain, to be too conservative in our approach to recruitment. Always too slow and tentative, missing out on our top targets and picking up the second tier players, praying that they come good.
I would rather we be a little more aggresive and have to shed a player or 3 (McDonald, Lafai, Aikten) than this living in hope for a "bargain" player and the NRL keeping the salary cap to a min (which IMHO believe will not happen).

j0nesy

Bench
We never seem to get it right with ref to the balance of the salary cap. We always seem, and I say this because we are not privi to anything behind the Iron curtain, to be too conservative in our approach to recruitment. Always too slow and tentative, missing out on our top targets and picking up the second tier players, praying that they come good.
I would rather we be a little more aggresive and have to shed a player or 3 (McDonald, Lafai, Aikten) than this living in hope for a "bargain" player and the NRL keeping the salary cap to a min (which IMHO believe will not happen).

We don't have the money mate. Which is why I'm very supportive of the junior development strategy being adopted by Millward.

possm

Coach
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Millward is doing a poor job is genuinely moronic.

We are now one of the only clubs in the NRL who didn't overestimate the cap and are sitting in prime position to poach players from other clubs for bargain prices.
Letting Dugan, Packer and Milne go was absolutely the right decision. We didn't get sucked into paying overs for them and now we are sitting comfortably under the cap as a result. Had we have been drawn into playing the bidding game, we would have paid too much and been in a position where we would have to shed players to stay cap compliant (most likely losing guys like De Belin, Vaughan, Mann etc). We've locked in ALL of our promising juniors as well, and some of our experienced heads are finally hitting their prime.

This was the plan all along and it was brilliant. The "Millward mess" is a myth.
According to Millward himself, he wanted to sign Dugan on centre money 750k and Packer on a 3 year deal 600k. If this is true the Dragons would also be over the predicted salary cap. At best Millward stumbled to be in this position. The real test for Millward will be is who is to replace Packer. Dufty is doing the business even though Millward said it would be Field at fullback in 2018.

possm

Coach
Craig Young had us in a real mess salary cap wise. At the time he was supervised by Doust. Somehow I'm fairly sure Doust has a lot of say with Millward maning the job now. Doust is always after an unrealistic bargain thus the reason we miss so many deals.

The Damo

Juniors
According to Millward himself, he wanted to sign Dugan on centre money 750k and Packer on a 3 year deal 600k. If this is true the Dragons would also be over the predicted salary cap. At best Millward stumbled to be in this position. The real test for Millward will be is who is to replace Packer. Dufty is doing the business even though Millward said it would be Field at fullback in 2018.
Can you tell where those numbers were specified please? I must have missed those and would be interested to see.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Maybe that really means that we have 1.35 mil left to spend on our salary cap?

watatank

Coach
Townsend has been asking for around 700K for his next deal. Maloney wants close to 1 Mill...Widdop is on similar money to Townsend according to sources...maybe even slightly less.

Is Townsend worth that much? Or Maloney for that matter. Considering Townsend has already signed, will Maloney's high asking price allow the Sharks to keep them both at that price?

Most clubs don't have two halves that are their highest paid players and that's pretty much the way we have gone. Hope it's worth it.

getsmarty

Immortal
Is Townsend worth that much? Or Maloney for that matter. Considering Townsend has already signed, will Maloney's high asking price allow the Sharks to keep them both at that price?

Most clubs don't have two halves that are their highest paid players and that's pretty much the way we have gone. Hope it's worth it.

That's their asking price.... We didn't pay anywhere near 1 mill for Hunt and that's why Millward stated he was very happy with what we paid. Widdop would be on similar money to Townsend....
Maloney has been asking for a release because he is currently getting better offers elsewhere.

He will be gone at the end of 2018 or earlier if they get Cronk. How the Sharks could fit Cronk in is beyond me but that is what the press are reporting.

giboz71

First Grade
We're actually pretty close to being a genuine contender. One prop and a speedy left winger is all we need. We're well covered in all the other positions and have genuine depth in ISP and in the 20's.

We shouldn't underestimate what Ben Hunt will do for this team. His form for the Broncos has been outstanding and brings toughness, speed and a running game. Teams will no longer be able to gang up on Widdop (we saw that yesterday with Mann playing half).

If teams need to shed players due to the cap, hopefully a prop and winger will become available. Latu would be a great addition to replace Packer and a winger like Mosby would also be great to play outside Lafai.

Imagine a backline containing Hunt, Widdop, Dufty and Mosby...much more threatening to anything we've seen in the last 4 years.

watatank

Coach
That's their asking price.... We didn't pay anywhere near 1 mill for Hunt and that's why Millward stated he was very happy with what we paid. Widdop would be on similar money to Townsend....
Maloney has been asking for a release because he is currently getting better offers elsewhere.

He will be gone at the end of 2018 or earlier if they get Cronk. How the Sharks could fit Cronk in is beyond me but that is what the press are reporting.

So the Sharks pay Townsend whatever Widdop is getting and then the other half who is asking for more will probably have to leave to get what he wants? What a shocker.

Whatever we paid (the specifics are not important), an educated guess says it was a substantial amount. I'm just saying that we will probably wonder whether we could have got better value out of someone cheaper like say Mann. Same goes for Hunt, mind you but I think he is a better player and worth whatever we paid.

getsmarty

Immortal
So the Sharks pay Townsend whatever Widdop is getting and then the other half who is asking for more will probably have to leave to get what he wants? What a shocker.

Whatever we paid (the specifics are not important), an educated guess says it was a substantial amount. I'm just saying that we will probably wonder whether we could have got better value out of someone cheaper like say Mann. Same goes for Hunt, mind you but I think he is a better player and worth whatever we paid.

All good points watatank. Problem is the coach has had the opportunity to find a regular spot for Mann for 2 years and he hasn't done it. Brad Fittler stated on the footy show that he couldn't understand why Mann was not a regular starter in our side.
The club has paid unders for Hunt compared to where the market is now. Compare Mybe ..allegedly on 700K..Townsend wants 700K Moses...easily similar amount ( most likely higher ) and I think Widdop would be around this amount and Hunt slightly higher.

The Sharks will lose Maloney ( Contracted to the end of 2018 ) as he is on unders at the moment. If they don't get Cronk, they have 1 year to find a replacement.

giboz71

First Grade

Despite what happened yesterday, Mann is still an unknown as an elite spine player. Hunt and Widdop are proven premiership calibre players. I feel much more comfortable with them as our starting halves as they are not easy to find. Other than Cronk and JT, Hunt is the next level down, in the same bracket as DCE and Norman. I'm absolutely stoked we have him.

Having said that, I'm glad we have Mann as an emergency should one of the halves starters goes down.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
We don't have the money mate. Which is why I'm very supportive of the junior development strategy being adopted by Millward.
I know mate you are right.
But the cap spending is whole and full covered by the NRL grant, correct?
So we are suppose to be on a level playing field, unless we are using some of those funds to re pay the debt.

Gareth67

First Grade
I most sincerely hope that the Rorter clubs are heavily penalised if they are indeed over the 2018 cap , regardless of who they may be . They were warned on two occasions about this , yet the Bulldogs did not give a bluudy damn .

Their attitude , along with the rest of the rorters , is just not in the true spirit of the game , quite simply , they have and shall continue , to bend the rules to suit themselves . NOW is the time for Mr. Greenberg to finally stand up and be a true leader of our game and penalise the bastards ! !

It is sickening to say the least , if there was any truth to the ' Chinese Whispers ' dinner, which was proposed by the Bulldogs Chairman Ray Dib to discuss a way around the new cap so as they would not lose their new signings - Foran and Woods .

And just what in the name of hell would our own Mr. Johnson be there for , to serve the coffee ? Enough said , this subject has me boiling .

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
I know mate you are right.
But the cap spending is whole and full covered by the NRL grant, correct?
So we are suppose to be on a level playing field, unless we are using some of those funds to re pay the debt.

My guess is, and I could be wrong, that the NRL will only guarantee grant funding up to what they have stipulated the cap to be. In which case we would be operating within our means. Other clubs, who have the funds to do so, are speculating on the cap being higher. They have the money to gamble with and can afford to lose. I doubt we do. Just my view, but I'm not privy to the inner workings of the cap or grant conditions.

monsterkev

Juniors
Bulldogs are trying to get 5 teams onboard to overturn the nrl salary cap issue that is why Johnstone was at the meeting
My understanding is that if the Bulldogs can get support the salary cap will change so that the rorters can keep their rosters and add incoming buys they have made
The top clubs will join with the Bulldogs to change the cap
While the dragons,Titans,Knights,Tigers will have to sit in the corner and do what the nrl tells them
Saints should take Klemmer off them and say no to the rest

BankstownDragon

Juniors
My guess is, and I could be wrong, that the NRL will only guarantee grant funding up to what they have stipulated the cap to be. In which case we would be operating within our means. Other clubs, who have the funds to do so, are speculating on the cap being higher. They have the money to gamble with and can afford to lose. I doubt we do. Just my view, but I'm not privy to the inner workings of the cap or grant conditions.

Well explained thanks.
TPA s have been a problem for us.

My company sponsors the Dragons as a minor partner and (ive metioned this before im sure) when I approached Peter Mulholand and later Ian Millward with the question of TPAs, I was meet with a lot of uming and arring about the complexities of it all.
Sums up where we are really....not quiet sure, still working on it, blah blah.

Cheers

Gareth67

First Grade
Bulldogs are trying to get 5 teams onboard to overturn the nrl salary cap issue that is why Johnstone was at the meeting
My understanding is that if the Bulldogs can get support the salary cap will change so that the rorters can keep their rosters and add incoming buys they have made
The top clubs will join with the Bulldogs to change the cap
While the dragons,Titans,Knights,Tigers will have to sit in the corner and do what the nrl tells them
Saints should take Klemmer off them and say no to the rest

Yes that is indeed the case . However an announcement was made to all clubs to work within a given amount , which was later stated to be $9.14mill. Yet , as mentioned earlier , that did not stop the Grubs from continuing to make some big-name signings .

Surely they must had realised that they had ' back ended ' contracts that were to be paid . The NRL should stick to the announced salary cap and those clubs that are over should be made to adhere to it by 2018 , and if not be heavenly penalised .

The calm one

Juniors
I agree with much of the OP. I agree with the general direction of where we are at with recruitment and the development of the squad (coaching aside)

One of the things I disagree with is the hype of Jai Field. He had only played a year of U20s . He has talent but he was only hyped up because of all the questions over who was going to play halfback. Don't really care much for the talk of fullback, I think that has been over exaggerated. It's not unreasonable to expect that he might play there but the previous hype has meant that this is all out there more. He always needed time and should have just been allowed to develop quietly, much like say Herbert or Garrick who are the same age and also played a year of U20s. Even Dufty benefited from being a little under the radar before his debut.[/QU
Townsend has been asking for around 700K for his next deal. Maloney wants close to 1 Mill...Widdop is on similar money to Townsend according to sources...maybe even slightly less.
I'd have Widdop over Maloney any day. Watch him, Hunt, and a maturing Aitken and Dufty next year

Last edited:

Latest posts