What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
In more good news for the game here:

On behalf of the Applecross-Mt Pleasant Rugby League Club, I would like to announce for the first time since 1995 we will be aiming to field a Premiership grade side! Along with reserve grade, Val Murphy Cup and Women's league tag! And who can forget our Junior jets!

This wouldnt be possible without the hard work and dedication from Drew Lister, Kevin Wood, Tamara Baran, Matthew Gowland, Jad Meale and all of our members and life members.

This is an exciting time for the club and the NRLWA with signed registration for senior players and women's league tag exploding.

So in conclusion jump on board be apart of the ride because we are hear to stay!

#upthejets!!!!!!

King hit

Coach
As much as I hate union with a passion I feel for Force fans. Seems neither rugby code is good enough to make it here.

On a positive note for RL in the West, as the WA govt pours hatred on the ARU they have just given nrlwa $100k for mental health promotion via the game

http://nrlwa.com.au/nrl-wa-clubs-healthy-state-of-mind/

I was on holiday in Perth (loved it btw) last year and when i was at the WACA there was an exhibit about the Reds and I asked the person there about them. He said they had some great support and the local league was going great when the Reds kicked off but then Super League came along and killed all of that off. They lost half of their support the day they signed with the rebel league. It's such a shame when you think about what could've been for the Western Reds.

I feel a league team could work well in Western Australia. It is a Rugby League outpost, there does seem to be some Rugby League and Union exposure and there have been WA talent in the NRL. It would also work well for TV with the time difference.

As much as I hate union with a passion I feel for Force fans. Seems neither rugby code is good enough to make it here.

On a positive note for RL in the West, as the WA govt pours hatred on the ARU they have just given nrlwa $100k for mental health promotion via the game

If the commission show some spine not only would a NRL club in Perth pick up the union fans it would also pick up junior union players combine that with Rugby League fans already there and Rugby League juniors and surely that must be a recipe for success.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...western-forces-departure-20170812-gxuuu6.html

Western Australia rugby league officials have revealed plans to introduce under-20s and reserve grade teams into NSWRL competitions in a move that will provide professional pathways for players affected by Western Force's departure from the Super Rugby scene.

The ARU ended months of speculation by announcing the axing of the Force, although Rugby WA has indicated it will consider challenging the decision in the Supreme Court. The Forces' likely demise is a boost to rugby league officials as the codes battle to attract sponsors, viewers and playing talent.

NRLWA funds the West Coast Pirates to play in the NSWRL's SG Ball competition and officials recently met with NRL head of football Brian Canavan to discuss other potential pathways. The ambition is for an under-20s and then a reserve grade presence in the NSW Cup, viewed as the first steps towards potentially fielding an NRL team in the west.

The Force's closure will leave Perth without a professional rugby code following the demise of the Western Reds in 1997.

"If the Force were to depart the sporting landscape in Perth it would be advantageous for rugby league," said NRLWA boss John Sackson.

"People's lives would be affected by that decision, and I am sympathetic, especially after the devastation that followed what happened to the Western Reds.

"Competitively speaking, rugby union is our No.1 competitor and for many years they have cherry-picked many of our best young players due to their ability to lure them across to the Western Force academy with the prospect of playing the game at an elite level without leaving the state.

"If they were to depart the scene it would probably make it a more level playing field between rugby league and rugby union."

The Pirates program has unearthed the likes of Waqa Blake and Curtis Rona, and Sackson hopes an additional presence in the NSWRL competitions will boost the 13-man game in the region.

"We're mapping potential pathways for the game in Western Australia and we're exploring all possibilities," Sackson said.
1502543241088.jpg

Former Western Reds captain Mark Geyer takes a hit up.
"Obviously there's a lot of work to be done and we've got a business plan we're working on with the NRL in liaison with the NSWRL.

"We all still harbour that great desire for one day having a franchise back in Western Australia, that's the jewel in the crown moving forward."

Western Australia is increasingly becoming a destination for premium league content. The state hosted a Kangaroos-Kiwis Test last year, 2018 will mark a decade of South Sydney taking NRL games to the region, Manly remain committed to the area and there will be a Rugby League World Cup double-header there on November 12. Perth's new stadium will also host a State of Origin match in 2019.

"It's terrific to see the NRL supporting rugby league by bringing across those major events here," Sackson said.

"They are all terrific opportunities for us to showcase rugby league. It will give us a chance to battle more competitively for the hearts and minds of sports fans over here."

Perth has been constantly earmarked as a potential destination should the NRL create or relocate a franchise.

"In the meantime, if the sporting public of WA can come out and demonstrate their interest and desire for top-level rugby league, that will send back a very positive message to Rugby League Central," Sackson said.

"Participation continues to grow in Western Australia, we've been delivering year on year growth.

"If the Force were to depart it would certainly create opportunity for rugby league, no doubt about that. At the end of the day it's up to the game as to how they capitalise. Hopefully they see some value in continuing to invest in the game and create pathways. There's a lot of talent over here in the junior rugby league ranks."

RoosTah

Juniors
They're doing something and that's the main thing.

They don't want to make Union's mistake, so they're going to try and build a solid foundation first and I respect that.

The next step is to try and attract the Andrew Forrests etc to support the pirates. If they can arrange a private ownership model, it eases a massive amount of pressure off the NRL and makes the whole thing much more sustainable

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been hearing it for ten years since we announced we were joining the Jim beam cup in 2007 as first step to nsw cup then nrl.

RoosTah

Juniors
Been hearing it for ten years since we announced we were joining the Jim beam cup in 2007 as first step to nsw cup then nrl.
Fair enough - either way it's good to have this announcement though surely?

If the guys over in WA can build this thing with private investors it'll be truly sustainable

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair enough - either way it's good to have this announcement though surely?

If the guys over in WA can build this thing with private investors it'll be truly sustainable

What announcement? That were talking to the nrl about a possible nsw cup team? Excuse me if I'm not very excited given I've been hearing this talk for ten years.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The NRL - National Rugby League, NRL WA, Deputy Premier Roger Cook and the Commission have all joined forces to bring the State of Mind grassroots program to WA.

This means more young people in WA will have a better understanding of mental health and how it affects them, their friends and their family.

Read more here: http://bit.ly/2hNg3Du

j5o6hn

Juniors
I did not know you were an Applecross man Always thought you were a South Perth follower who to me are Perth's version of the Rorters.
Any of old 60s blokes back, I know Listers name may have played against him or managed a team that did,they were a good bunch,any idea where they will play out of

Perth Red

Post Whore
I did not know you were an Applecross man Always thought you were a South Perth follower who to me are Perth's version of the Rorters.
Any of old 60s blokes back, I know Listers name may have played against him or managed a team that did,they were a good bunch,any idea where they will play out of

Not sure what you mean? North beach are my local club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No that was a Facebook post. Great to see them back after 20 years! The force decision will help them as it's a strong union area and might get more kids taking up league instead.

Re the nsw cup team, I do have concerns about how competitive we can be and how it might damage the nrlwa comp if they take the top 25 players out of the local clubs? I can still see the best u18's and u20's being picked up by the nrl alligned nsw cup east coast teams. Until we have a nrl club to have that direct path to the top it will remain an issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some exciting development plans

On August 3rd & 4th , NRL WA Chairman Bob Cronin , NRL WA General Manager John Sackson and NRL WA Operations Manager Tony Crowe attended two days of meetings in Sydney with NRL’s Head of Football Brian Canavan ,Affiliated States Manager Martin Meredith along with input from a number of other key NRL Executives.

The aim of the WA Focus meetings was to create more strategic vision for the ongoing development of the local game.

The discussions were very positive and at this stage NRL WA, NSW RL and the NRL are committed to building a strategic business plan aimed at achieving the below goals

NRL WA 2020 Pathways Vision
· 2018 – Maintain Cash Converters West Coast Pirates involvement in Current NSW RL SG Ball Under 18’s Competition

· 2019 – NRL WA to introduce High Performance Pathway role to support all development programs

· 2019 – Proposed entry into NSW RL Under 20’s Competition

· 2020 – 2022 – Proposed entry into NSW Intrust Super Premiership.

http://nrlwa.com.au/pirates-we-are-wa-vision/

Perth Red

Post Whore
WC Pirates start preparing to join the nswrl under 20’s comp in 2019 with an under 19’s elite development program in 2018.

RL WA 2020 Pirates Pathways Vision
  • 2018 – West Coast Pirates involvement in Current NSW RL SG Ball Under 18’s Competition
  • 2018 – NRL WA to introduce Under 19’s Development program
  • 2019 – Proposed entry into NSW RL Under 20’s Competition
  • 2020 – 2022 Proposed entry into NSW Intrust Super Premiership.