What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 23

hewi

Bench
Good points, we got two points, Kurt Mann.
Bad points, Titans down to I think 1 sub , we let them score some very soft tries no it was not a convincing win against a side that really struggling. I'm sure At the press conference we will hear the coach wax lyrical about how things have been turned around, well IMO they haven't .

Slackboy72

Coach
They just go to sleep when they start feeling comfortable.
It's a huge improvement over last year but in some ways we've gone back to the Steve Price years where we would fade out of games for ten or twenty minute stretches. The difference this year we're doing it while 10 or 20 points in front.

Gareth67

First Grade
Can only repeat what has already been said - great to win , but that certainly was not a full 80 mins. of footy from a semi contender . Leaves a lot to be desired , however at least the fans can leave today knowing that we have an extra 2 competition points .

Wether or not the performance was a polished one , at least we are that bit closer to the final eight . We live for another week, our fortunes are entirely in our own hands . I believe that the Dragons can get there , as long as they can concentrate more on their defence .

As the good Lord knows , that is what will make the difference next week against the Broncos . A tremendous effort by young Mann . Oh , if only our Mary had preserved with him at half earlier on this season , what could had been ?

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Gotta say, Lawries defence is shocking. Don't think he's ready for FG tbh
Tend to agree...I know he hasnt had much of a go in First grade and when he does get his chance he should get stuck in, especially against a tired opposition....he will be there one day but not sure its just yet

Gotta say, Lawries defence is shocking. Don't think he's ready for FG tbh
Still able to play under 20's so that itself tells you something.

A prop takes time to develop and he will in time and after watching Illawarra today Kerr also isn't ready and i see why Millward is looking for another one.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I'm very much hoping we will smash the Broncos. My kids have shouted me a ticket to the game and organised all 5 kids and their partners to be there with me. Would surely be a shame if we lost.

GO THE MIGHTY DRAGONS!
Go Dragons, hoping Mann sparks them into a brilliant run home and we run in as finals dark horses!

possm

Coach
You can tell when the Dragons begin to lose it at times during a game. They just stop moving up in defence and fail to lock up the ball. In attack they revert to the one pass and run game plan.

kit66

Bench
Very impressive game from Mann. No way should McCrone get another game this year. Another game where we make huge metres, 1800 today I think, excellent work from everyone, combine that with good possesion / low error rate and we can beat anyone.
We seem to struggle when the opposition gets quick play the balls and goes wide. When we get numbers in the tackle and slow them down we're in total control but as soon as we start giving them quick play the balls and backpeddling we're screwed. We should hold them down, give away a penalty or two but slow that shit down and get our defence set.
Good game today, wish I'd been there. Next 3 games on Free to Air woohoo !

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Great to get a win but rubbish defence there towards the end. Very soft but we needed the win and got it.
Still won't trouble the better sides on that performance

LINESPEED

Juniors
Tend to agree...I know he hasnt had much of a go in First grade and when he does get his chance he should get stuck in, especially against a tired opposition....he will be there one day but not sure its just yet

Just by the way, we should make sure we sign Hind.
Kennedy looked the goods today as well

Would love to see Field given a run on the wing - he was all the rage with u guys earlier in the year.
Mann, Field ( great goal kicker & has everyone forgotten Auckland?) & Dufty in open space will set the turnstiles spinning again.
For me it'd be like watching Gasnier, Raper & Langlands again
Shit this scotch is going down well.
A perfect weekend, what with the Dogs & Sharks getting smashed as well. Funny how I don't mind Manly so much these days now that Barrett's coaching them
Cheers!!

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons snap two-game losing streak
Sat 12th August, 05:00PM
A A

1502521969976.jpg;pv3908842e3bd3298a

St George Illawarra have temporarily forced their way back into the top eight following a 42-16 win over the Gold Coast Titans at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday afternoon.

Replacement halfback Kurt Mann was the recipient of the game's first try when he and Josh Dugan worked the right-hand side of the field over in the ninth minute.

Winger Jason Nightingale followed the Dragons' initial efforts up midway through the first half when he scored in the corner thanks to slick hands in the lead up.

Back-rower Joel Thompson followed suit in the 33rd minute when he sliced through and slammed the ball down over the white stripe.

Nightingale had his second try four minutes later, falling over in the corner following a special Tim Lafai offload.

The Dragons quickly followed their first half success in the 48th minute in magical circumstances when Cameron McInnes finished off a special play that involved nine passes and a bullocking Tariq Sims run.

The Titans finally found some success through Dale Copley who finished off a long range movement with half hour remaining.

Titans winger Anthony Don's spectacular effort to catch a Ash Taylor kick across field came in the 56th minute, but the Dragons went ahead by 20 points soon after courtesy of a Gareth Widdop penalty goal.

McInnes had his second in the 64th minute when he forced his way over from dummy half but that was almost immediately cancelled out when Paterika Vaivai scored under the posts two minutes later.

Mann's second try in the final three minutes confirmed the win for the Dragons, securing the 26-point win.

St George Illawarra Dragons 42 (Jason Nightingale 2, Cameron McInnes 2, Kurt Mann 2, Joel Thompson tries; Gareth Widdop 7 goals) defeated Gold Coast Titans 16 (Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Paterika Vaivai tries; Tyrone Roberts 2 goals) at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah. Crowd: 8973. Half-time: Dragons 22-0

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/12/dragons_snap_two_gam.html