What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing Consistency

OzDragon

Coach
I didn't have a problem with it tbh. Vunivalu was first in line, no defenders in front and 5 metres from the line. Gets tackled before he can get the ball. Penalty try or possibly sin bin imo

thebigredv

First Grade
We have a real big problem with refereeing in our game. Today at Kogarah was atrocious.

- strip on Dugan, ummmmm how was that anything but a strip?
- about ten forward passes let go, mostly from the Titans
- and, once again, no control of the ten metres for the opposition, letting 9 go and then penalising for every 10th offside
- a terrible call where Hayne knocked on when Widdop kicked through
- Frizell picked up the ball when Peats, I think, knocked on, refs got confused so suddenly called him offside
- Proctor was out of the ruck but McInnes threw the ball at him (this happened against us two weeks ago) dumb interpretation of the rule
- calling six again when the defender goes for the tackle and inadvertently punches a lose ball, when did that rule change?

My memory is only so good, there were several others...

Nanadragon

Juniors
We have a real big problem with refereeing in our game. Today at Kogarah was atrocious.

- strip on Dugan, ummmmm how was that anything but a strip?
- about ten forward passes let go, mostly from the Titans
- and, once again, no control of the ten metres for the opposition, letting 9 go and then penalising for every 10th offside
- a terrible call where Hayne knocked on when Widdop kicked through
- Frizell picked up the ball when Peats, I think, knocked on, refs got confused so suddenly called him offside
- Proctor was out of the ruck but McInnes threw the ball at him (this happened against us two weeks ago) dumb interpretation of the rule
- calling six again when the defender goes for the tackle and inadvertently punches a lose ball, when did that rule change?

My memory is only so good, there were several others...

Red V for life

Juniors
There is no refereeing consistency. That no doubt will be seen when the next team who is deprived an opportunity to potentially score gets a penalty and a sin bin rather than a penalty try.

Generally though, referee mistakes I can begrudgingly handle (but some do defy belief like the Perenara call in the Eels/Knights game about passing from the ground when tackle looked all but complete).

However, I cannot handle the shite that comes out of the bunker. I mean that call on Duges today (strip/knock on) is a perfect example. Voss, Blocker and Gaz were speechless in commentary.

Get rid of it I say.

1st & 10

Juniors
The refs are there to no enforce the laws of the game. They are there to play conductor and best buddies with players

Refs must assert their authority, once done the players will fall into line

Ref the ruck, it's a disgrace

Stop calling players by first names, it's unprofessional and suggests a personal relationship between the ref and player. Accountability and integrity must not only be seen to be done, but also appearance of being done. Without that the game loses all credibility (not that much is left)

Refs must be the COP on the field, not one (two) of the people being policed

This two ref rubbish, just seems to double the errors.

As for the bunker, they need a rule book and sponsorship by OPSM

Gareth67

First Grade
Many have mentioned the referee inconsistencies throughout the season . Today the setbacks in some of their calls we were able to overcome , simply as we were able to scored more points .

But once we play the top-of-the-ladder teams , you can bet that this will be a different story story . We simply will not be able to overcome their poor decision making , as the defence of the opposition will be much stronger then we faced today .

It will cost us the game in a tight contest and our season . Mary would do well to seek an audience with Tony Archer to clear the ground rules , as it would only help us .

This Year?

Immortal
I didn't have a problem with it tbh. Vunivalu was first in line, no defenders in front and 5 metres from the line. Gets tackled before he can get the ball. Penalty try or possibly sin bin imo

Friz wasn't given a penalty try last week and the situation was the same,

The difference was it was raining and Vunivalu had a slight change of knocking it on while gathering the ball or grounding it.

The 1st half of the Storm game the Roosters got raped so bad I thought it was being played at Suncorp.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The refereeing in both our game and The Roosters was abysmal again......have to say the officials in 2017 have been the worse Ive seen for many many years.....was noted again tonight how Cameron Smith gets away with arguing the point with the refs for almost as long as he likes.....the usual ploy to give his tired defence a rest or to put doubt in their mind for any future penalties......Sutton actually makes me sick he was almost apologising to him for awarding the opposition a penalty....once again like Brisbane the Storm are the darlings of the NRL competition

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Ref consistency? ......about the same a freshly laid dog turd.

I rest my case.
img_0369-jpg.76143

blacksafake

First Grade
A penalty try can only be given If the attacking player is 100% going to score.
IMO there was no such guarantee he would have scored with a rolling ball on a wet ground. There was more chance of Frizell scoring last week than that.
The bunker, refs, Archer & Greenburg are all so incompetent it's embarrassing at times. There is more chance this year than ever where a grand final could be decided by these fools.

Crossbow

Juniors
I'm a dragon thru and thru but the refs are shocking this year.I cannot for the life of me understand why they cannot cope any flak.My mrs is always telling me to settle down but I can't cop any team getting duded by these incompatent morons.Maybe that's why I'm banned to the club now to watch footy.Roll on the semis.

SET2JT

Juniors
I can cop the odd miss from the Refs here and there.
What i cant is when they deliberately try to even the game out. Happend against Manly as well. They gave penalties to GC for holding on when the tackles we made were dominant and 1 was around the legs , wich i think they are supposed to be lenient. And we couldn't buy a penalty in the 2nd half and we were the home team.

Crush

Coach
I always feel that the refs referee the games according to the scoreboard. If a team is getting hammered they try to bring the losing team back into the game. And they always try to even up the penalty count by fulltime.
If I was a coach I would instruct my team to give away 10 penalties in the first 20 mins down their end of the park and then come home with a wet sail as the refs blow penalty after penalty in the second half to even up the penalty count.
Luckily I am not a coach though.