What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 23

SEAT 1A

Bench
They didn't put the clue in the rack today. Titans got quick ball to our left and calved us up however, we were able to recover.

The defence for the first 10 minutes of the second half was brutal and Sims defence was brutal all game.

thebigredv

First Grade
Joel Thompson just gets better with age. I feel it took him a year or two to find his feet at our club but every season now he has been so consistent both with and without the ball. I hope he gets a premiership before he's done.

JDHD

Juniors
The only negative is that we played with our food. We knew we were bigger, faster, stronger, more skilful, etc etc and only did as much as we had to to win after we crushed them in the first 40. The fact that we dropped off and still put 40 on them is a good sign.

I agree, Luciano would be ideal on the bench ahead of Milne.

I like the idea of players in the lower grades sticking around to watch the firsts .. I may be a bit old fashioned in that respect. I think there is something to gain in club culture .. and who knows, you might learn something.

I was surprised to be walking in the northern gate this afternoon .. only to see Luciano heading home.

It is obviously not compulsory .. but surely it could add the comradery and culture..

You never know when opportunity knocks.. and sometimes it knocks because your a better fit for team culture.

Drag Queen

Bench
I like the idea of players in the lower grades sticking around to watch the firsts .. I may be a bit old fashioned in that respect. I think there is something to gain in club culture .. and who knows, you might learn something.

I was surprised to be walking in the northern gate this afternoon .. only to see Luciano heading home.

It is obviously not compulsory .. but surely it could add the comradery and culture..

You never know when opportunity knocks.. and sometimes it knocks because your a better fit for team culture.
Are you pissed OT ? Not that I'm judging.

thebigredv

First Grade

Forget about that one hit wonder. His career has plateaued. I agree with your sentiments.

MilanDragon

Juniors

I'm shocked it's not compulsory.

Even if it wasn't I'd still be sticking around! Shows where his head is at.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm very much hoping we will smash the Broncos. My kids have shouted me a ticket to the game and organised all 5 kids and their partners to be there with me. Would surely be a shame if we lost.

GO THE MIGHTY DRAGONS![/QUOTE
For your sake and all us Dragons fans, sure hope we don't disappoint.

The best thing I saw today?
Dufty, staying on the feild well after full time with a beaming smile, local junior stoked with playing on Kogarah oval, priceless.

Even better, JDB, had to be dragged off the field, well after full time to let the kids on to play.
Playing on Kogarah oval means a lot to some players.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons finals hopes stay alive with 42-16 win over Gold Coast Titans
Andrew Parkinson
12 Aug 2017, 5 p.m.
r0_187_3751_2383_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Double trouble: Renown United junior Jason Nightingale scores his second try against the Gold Coast at Kogarah on Saturday. Picture: Craig Golding/AAP Image

For Paul McGregor, St George Illawarra’s finals campaign has already begun.

The Dragons’ top eight hopes remain alive after a dominant first half performance helped St George Illawarra to a comprehensive 42-16 win over the Gold Coast Titans.

The Dragons skipped out to a 22-0 half-time lead at Kogarah before the Gold Coast launched a spirited second half fightback. But the damage was done in the first 40 minutes as the Dragons’ left-side attack tore the Titans apart.

St George Illawarra were without halfback Josh McCrone with a groin injury, with Kurt Mann celebrating his return to the starting side in his place with the opening try.

“Our finals started today,” McGregor said.

“We had to win three of our last four and that was one today. Next week [against Brisbane] is another test.”

It will be some test. The Dragons haven’t won in Brisbane since 2009 and will face an in-form Broncos outfit, fresh from a 54-point thrashing of the Titans and a convincing 22-point win over reigning premiers Cronulla.

But if St George Illawarra can replicate their first half attacking spree over the next three weeks they will be play finals football. The Dragons took the lead inside 10 minutes when Mann and Josh Dugan combined. A lovely cutout pass from Mann put Dugan through a gap, allowing the NSW centre to draw Blues teammate Jarryd Hayne before finding Mann with a return pass.

Dugan could have extended the lead five minutes later, only to be denied by William Zillman who appeared to strip the ball short of the goalline, though the video referee bunker officials ruled Dugan lost the ball.

The @NRL_Dragons shift left and find space!#NRLDragonsTitans#NRLpic.twitter.com/3r50GNyZs7

— NRL (@NRL) August 12, 2017
It wasn’t to cost the Dragons. St George Illawarra didn’t have to wait long for more points, with Jason Nightingale scoring his 14th try of the season midway through the half after a slick shift to the left highlighted by a long, spiral pass from young fullback Matt Dufty.

The Dragons went left again to extend their lead five minutes before the break. This time a short pass from Gareth Widdop saw Joel Thompson slice through and power his way over the line.

St George Illawarra had a fourth and Nightingale a second try before half-time to give the Dragons a 22-0 lead at the break. They were good value for their lead, in truth it could have been more. The Dragons’ faithful gave them a standing ovation as they left the field.

“If you talk about our first half, I thought it was probably the best of the year, to be honest. Defensively and attack wise,” McGregor said.

“We were quite comfortable going in with a nice lead… at the start we attacked aggressively early but [we played] pretty simple. Getting over the advantage line and created a couple of offloads which created second phase. Then we got in our positions really well to play some shape once we’d done that.

“Obviously we put the opposition under pressure, we had high finishes to our sets and every game this year when we’ve started well we’ve been in the game right to the finish.”

Mann’s performance was good enough for McGregor to indicate he would keep the halfback spot against Brisbane. And halves partner Widdop wasn’t surprised with the way they combined despite not playing together since round 17.

This Try had everything!#NRLDragonsTitans#NRLpic.twitter.com/DlqBM6g2SS

“Kurt’s been doing a fair bit there throughout the year. We’ve got a pretty simple game plan which hasn’t changed all year,” Widdop said.

“I thought he did really well today. He’s been in and out of positions all year but every time he’s put on a jersey he’s gone out there and tried his hardest. And today he was good, pretty composed and dangerous with the ball. We’ll be better for the run next week.”

St George Illawarra didn’t look like they were going to slow down in the second half either. It took them less than 10 minutes after half-time to score again thanks to one of the team tries of the season. There were nine passes, they started down the left, shifted to the right, Tariq Sims ran over Nathaniel Peteru, they came back to the left for Cameron McInnes to eventually dive over.

But the Gold Coast gave themselves a flicker of hope, finally getting on the board through Dale Copley despite the pass from Anthony Don appearing forward. They narrowed the gap further shortly after and, if the McInnes’ try was one of the team tries of the season, Don’s must go close for individual skill.

The winger leapt high above Nightingale to catch an Ash Taylor cross field kick. While Nightingale had hold of him, Don somehow managed to twist while in the air to plant the ball down one-handed and give the Titans a flicker of hope.

Always has some acrobatics in him.

Anthony Don!#NRLDragonsTitans#NRLpic.twitter.com/jlaMmhkqIS

A Widdop penalty goal had the Dragons back out to a 20-point lead heading into the final quarter of the game before McInnes looked to have sealed the result with his second try, this time from close range, diving over from dummy half.

But the Titans wouldn’t go away. Gold Coast won possession from a short kick-off and marched downfield for Paterika Vaivai to crash under the posts. The Gold Coast went close again shortly after when Don again got the better of Nightingale in an aerial duel, only for Tim Lafai to steal the ball as he was heading to ground.

The Dragons had time for one more, with Mann becoming the third St George Illawarra player to score a double.

It was another disappointing result for the Gold Coast, beaten 54-0 last week by Brisbane and 26-4 by the Wests Tigers the week before. They have now conceded 122 points in their last three matches and look destined to finish their season with a whimper.

The win lifts St George Illawarra back into the top eight, though it may be a brief stay if Penrith down North Queensland. A potential play-off for a finals place against the Panthers in a fortnight follows the trip to take on the Broncos. But the Dragons are still breathing fire for now.

Leader Scoreboard

St George Illawarra Dragons 42 (Jason Nightingale two, Cameron McInnes two, Kurt Mann two, Joel Thompson tries. Gareth Widdop seven goals)

defeated

Gold Coast Titans 16 (Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Paterika Vaivai tries. Tyrone Roberts two goals)

at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah

Crowd: 8,973

Leader man of the match: Gareth Widdop (Dragons)

Dragons’ next three: Broncos (away), Panthers (away), Bulldogs (home)

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...ll-alive-after-dragons-thrash-titans/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons stay in finals hunt with win over Titans

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

12 Aug 2017, 4:30 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2080_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK IN FORM: The Dragons ran in seven tries in a 42-16 victory over the Titans on Saturday to keep their finals hopes alive. Picture: AAP

ST GEORGE Illawarra aren’t done with yet in 2017 after breathing new life into their finals charge with a convincing 42-16 win over Gold Coast at UOW Jubilee Oval on Saturday.

Back to back losses to lowly Newcastle and South Sydney had put their top eight hopes on tenterhooks, but they remain in the hunt after putting the Titans to the sword in a near faultless first half display.

The hosts completed 21 of 22 sets in the opening stanza in which they had 65 per cent of the ball and churned through a whopping 1100 run metres.

The dominance showed on the scoreboard, with four tries giving them a handy 22-0 buffer at the break before seeing off a mini-resurgence from the Titans to close out the match.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said his side hasn’t produced a better 40 minutes this season.

“I thought was the best [half] of the year, attack-wise and defensively,” McGregor said.

“We attacked aggressively early on but it was pretty simple, getting over the advantage line, getting some off-loads away and creating some second phase.

“Once we did that we put the opposition under pressure, we had high finishes to our sets.

“Every game this year when we’ve started well and gone seven from seven [completions] or six from six, we’ve been in the game right to the finish.

“The boys did that today. It’s not about doing a lot different, it’s about just knowing your role and doing it the best you can.”

Utility Kurt Mann made a fine fist of his start at halfback after Josh McCrone was a late withdrawal with a groin injury, scoring two tries and linking well with Gareth Widdop as the Dragons ran in seven tries to three.

It was a performance that will force McGregor to consider leaving Mann at the scrum-base for next Friday’s tough away clash with Brisbane.

That match will provide a much sterner test of the Dragons finals credentials than the Titans could muster on Saturday, with Neil Henry’s men having now conceded 96 points in their past two outings.

“Our finals started today,” McGregor said.

“We’ve got to win three of our last four and that was one today. Next week’s another test.

“We certainly know what we’re up against because [Brisbane] have put 80 points on two sides the last two weeks.”

The win saw the Dragons momentarily leapfrog Penrith into eighth spot with their looming round 25 clash shaping as make or break for both sides’ finals aspirations.

Mann opened the scoring in the ninth minute, latching onto a deft offload from Dugan. Widdop’s attempted conversion bounced off the upright keeping the score at 4-0.

The Dragons extended their lead through Jason Nightingale, who crossed off a sweeping back-line movement to push the margin to 10 after Widdop’s conversion.

The lead swelled further six minutes before the break with Joel Thompson charging onto a pass from Widdop and carrying two defenders across the line for the Dragons third four-pointer.

Widdop slotted the extras and when Nightingale crossed for his second three minutes before the break the Dragons had a handy 22-point buffer.

Cameron McInnes provided the ninth set of hands on a fantastic team try nine minutes after the resumption as the lead ballooned to 28.

The Titans briefly got back in the match with tries to Dale Copley and Anthony Don – who produced stunning grab of an Ash Taylor kick – before a Widdop steadied the ship with a penalty goal.

McInnes burrowed over for his second but the Titans hit straight back through Paterika Vaivai to give themselves a slight sniff with 13 minutes to play.

They looked to have more than that when Ryan James crossed two minutes later but the bunker found he knocked on in trying to ground the ball.

It was as close as the Titans got with Mann bagging his second try four minutes from fulltime to close out the victory.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4850472/dragons-keep-finals-flame-burning/?cs=3713

Latest posts