What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

FlameThrower

Bench
Brad Fittler on the Footy show stated something along the lines of he couldn't understand how a player like Mann was not in our starting lineup on a regular basis.. Pretty much sums up the poor selections by our coach..
Agreed... way to conservative and reluctant to bring in changes. We also need to develop a Plan B or C - the power game is not sustainable over the full season..,

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Let's hope it doesn't take you another 23 games to realize.4 forward rotation some of the Young guns need looking at,Luciano,is first in line go for it mary.and try and stick to the current team unless injury .

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm happy we signed Hunt but if Dopey had of tried & given Mann a real go like he has with McCrone we might have saved some $. No matter what happens from here on in he needs to be told that the position is yours for the rest of the year & go out & play what's in front of you. Who knows he could be our missing X factor.
This ..... main point here is play whats in front of you ...... Players like Mann and Dufty are players that play on instinct that is something that cant be coached . X FACTOR ....

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
Mann had a great game and I am stoked that he finally got his shot and showed what he can do but I think its a bit early to be saying "we may not have needed the 1.2 million dollar man" ?
Hunt looked pretty bloody good last week when he scored 3 tries, albeit with the 9 on his back. I am really looking forward to having Hunt and Widdop as our halves and Mann has to be in there somewhere too.
Maybe it was a bit early for you & others to say he wasn't a half after 15 min game time only.LOL

slippery5

Juniors
The fact that some were quick to say Mann is not a Half, were probably the same people to say that Dufty is not up to 1st grade. The fact that we needed to inject some strike power into the side should have been enough for McNOIDEA to say "you know what, we've got nothing to lose" when it comes competing at the pointy end of the season we will not be able to match it. I just hope that the board can see that he has been pulling the wool over their eyes, in continually picking the same side he thought was our best options in those positions.

Frank Facer

First Grade
hunt will be great at hooker though

How about Mann playing hooker next year?
Any team in this competition would kill to have a player like Mann in their team. He is on that same level as Gutherson in my opinion.
Throw him on the wing? No worries, leading try scorer last year.
Put him in the centres? Too easy, shows up the current Australian international right centre.
Put him in the halves? Not a problem, puts together a man of the match performance and straightens up our attack beautifully.

He is the complete utility mr-fix-it player who NEEDS to be in the 17 every single week.
As for next year, I think he locks down that right centre position and we begin Aitken's transition into the back-row.
I can see Mann being on the bench as a utility next year. He can cover any position is the backline. I am now starting to wonder how he would go coming on to play hooker/dummy half? I doubt that he has ever played hooker, but from yesterday's game, he does look like he should be closer to the ball. He does have a football brain, he does have a kicking game and he can defend. Some have already likened Mann to Gidley. Gidley did also play hooker and go alright at it too. If Mann could play hooker too, then I think he and Gutherson would be my top 2 contenders to be NSW utility back/hooker next year.

My biggest reservation about Mann at hooker is that I do prefer us to have an 80 minute hooker. I prefer to have the same spine for the whole of the game, as I think it provides a more stable base.

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
How about Mann playing hooker next year? He should definitely be

I can see Mann being on the bench as a utility next year. He can cover any position is the backline. I am now starting to wonder how he would go coming on to play hooker/dummy half? I doubt that he has ever played hooker, but from yesterday's game, he does look like he should be closer to the ball. He does have a football brain, he does have a kicking game and he can defend. Some have already likened Mann to Gidley. Gidley did also play hooker and go alright at it too. If Mann could play hooker too, then I think he and Gutherson would be my top 2 contenders to be NSW utility back/hooker next year.

My biggest reservation about Mann at hooker is that I do prefer us to have an 80 minute hooker. I prefer to have the same spine for the whole of the game, as I think it provides a more stable base.
Flick Aiken from right centre for Kurt.
Hunt to Mann in attack, sounds real good to me.
No brainer.
CC

Have watched the tape a couple of times now and the post match interview.

Mary is the new winner of "red faces".

Mary looked to me to be somewhat shocked and embarrassed by Super Mann's performance as a half.

Combined exceptionally well with Widdop.

Speed, elusiveness, instinctive. Defence was excellent. A clear upgrade on poor old Josh McCrone.

So much for the Mann not having a kicking game. Would like to think Widdop is now comfortable with Mann at 7. The chemistry is already on shw and will only get better.

The team now has real weaponry.

Dufty/Mann/Widdop.

The attack is now equally as potent on the left and right particularly with Duges at right centre.

Dufty/Mann and Widdop all possess excellent passing skills.

Pressure has now been relieved from Widdop. The additional speed and elusiveness creates doubt in the minds of defenders. Scoring points won't be a problem now.

Time to focus again on our defence.

Como Connection

First Grade
Agree
Have watched the tape a couple of times now and the post match interview.

Mary is the new winner of "red faces".

Mary looked to me to be somewhat shocked and embarrassed by Super Mann's performance as a half.

Combined exceptionally well with Widdop.

Speed, elusiveness, instinctive. Defence was excellent. A clear upgrade on poor old Josh McCrone.

So much for the Mann not having a kicking game. Would like to think Widdop is now comfortable with Mann at 7. The chemistry is already on shw and will only get better.

The team now has real weaponry.

Dufty/Mann/Widdop.

The attack is now equally as potent on the left and right particularly with Duges at right centre.

Dufty/Mann and Widdop all possess excellent passing skills.

Pressure has now been relieved from Widdop. The additional speed and elusiveness creates doubt in the minds of defenders. Scoring points won't be a problem now.

Time to focus again on our defence.
Agree, however dopey Mary, and support staff, couldn't figure it out for a couple of seasons.
Unbelievable I say.
CC

Dragsters

First Grade
He showed something he hasn't shown before when put in the halves or fullback, and that's confidence.

You almost need a touch of arrogance when playing in the key positions as the team is looking to you to direct the play.

He showed that for the first time today, and a great game was the result.

Because they actually played to him this time.

Previously he may have been picked there but the game plan was clearly for mcinnes to go to widdop all day.

Today he got a fair share of the ball and showed the doubters what he is capable of and the true believers what we knew he had.

This team is far stronger with him at 7 rather than mccrone...

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I heard Johns say that Gidley wasn't the most naturally talented footballer .. but he was the hardest worker .. he wanted it more than anyone else.

I suspect Mann is a very talented footballer .. hamstrung by a peanut ..

Apart from ability he obviously has a great temperament to put up with our coaching buffoons.

I think what is underestimated is his defense.. he is good.. which is no surprise as that is the main element Bellamy looks for when scanning youngsters

A good kid .. appears well liked in the group .. and has that 'something' about him.

I believe Mann was given the opportunity today because McNugget was injured .. hopefully the peanut doesn't revert to normal transmission if he comes good during the week.

Surely he can't be that senseless?
I sincerely believe he can be that useless, but I hope I'm wrong. Mann gives us some X factor so that we may be able to beat some top teams. McCrone does not.

Latest posts