What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 First Grade 17

leaguelegend21

Juniors
With most of our signings now finalised, I though I'd look at our best 17 next year.

1. Lolohea
2. Nofoaluma
3. Milne
4. Suli
5. Fonua
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Matulino
9. Reynolds
10. Packer
11. Taylor
12. Lawrence (c)
13. Eisenhuth

14. Twal
15. Marsters
16. McQueen
17. Sue/Ailoai

18. Liddle

This team impresses me a lot. The only contentious point is Reynolds at Hooker. Given Josh originally came into FG as a hooker (but did not continue there due to Ennis' presence at the Bulldogs) I feel he is a good fit for this position. He also played all his juniors there. He will combine well with Benji and Brooks. I feel our forward pack is very impressive and our backs have the speed and control to allow the halves to sign.

Very excited for next year. Go Tiges!

Clifferd

Coach
I like the idea but I have a feeling next year is set up to make number 9 liddles

He's always been touted as hot property and one of the best juniors coming through, we just haven't seen his full potential come into 1st grade yet

His injury this year didn't seem to help though, sure is injury prone.

I'm in the minority here but I honestly believe Killer should be there in front of Liddle next year. I think his game is simpler and will suit the forwards better. Liddle is a creative hooker and too many cooks may spoil the broth. I suppose it hinges on who else lines up in the spine, if Brooks doesn't come on next year Liddle may need to be starting hooker.

Sue is a bench forward, his best footy this year has come from playing from the bench.

My 17 for round one:

1. Lolohea
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Suli
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Matulino
9. McIlwrick
10. Packer
11. Taylor
12. Lawrence (c)
13. Eisenhuth

14. Twal
15. Sue
16. McQueen
17. Marshall

Milne is unlucky to miss out, but I cannot overlook Marsters. Not quite ready for the second row yet, but certainly offers plenty as an 80 minute back and could slip into the second row in a pinch.

Perth Tiger

Bench
who says the signings are over? I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of horse trading this off season and we should be in a good position to pick up a couple more players.

Also with the Force gone hopefully those rumors about Rona come true

who says the signings are over? I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of horse trading this off season and we should be in a good position to pick up a couple more players.

Also with the Force gone hopefully those rumors about Rona come true

Can only go off whats in front of us I guess.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd have the following:-

Liddle at hooker - I just think he may turn into a good one.
A bench of Sue, Twal and Aloiai all playing up the middle. I just think we need muscle throughout the game.
I'd keep Marsters in the centres for the moment.
Benji goes to the utility role on the bench.
Players like McQueen and Milne miss out on our top team.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No Marshall for me in the Top 17 as there are better starting options at 1, 6 and 7, and sorry I just don't rate him as a small, slow, low impact bench substitute that might only play limited minutes if none of the backs get hurt....

Also, I don't believe that they have signed Reynolds and paid him $800K to play 9.. not in 2018 anyway...

Masters in the centres at beginning of 2018, but could move into back row half way through the season...

Hopefully Twal can be starting mid season as well...Maybe move Mautilino to bench at that stage to help prolong his career a bit...

Also hoping that Liddle can own the 9 next year....

Based on signings to date ( Im still hoping for at least one more forward, and if Rona was to join could look at moving Marsters into the backrow maybe at the start of the season...)

1. Lolohea
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Suli
5. Milne
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Matulino
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Taylor
12. McQueen
13. Eisenhuth

14. Twal
15. Sue
16. Lawrence
17. Ailoai

Clifferd

Coach
1. Lolohea
2. Nofoaluma
3. Suli
4. Marsters/Milne (leaning towards Marsters ATM)
5. Fonua
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Twal (call me crazy but I think he can make this his own
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Taylor
12. Lawrence
13. Matulino

14. Einsenhuth
15. Aloiai
16. Sue
17. McQueen

My strongest 17 doesn't have McQueen in it but seeing as we paid massive overs we're gonna have to put him in somewhere.

What about matulino to lock/middle forward? I really like it. He can ball play a bit too

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Woking on the premise that Ivan is trying to simplify things and not create players out of recent position, Im going on with this:

1 Lolo
2 Nofo
3 Suli
4 Milne
5 Funoa (Rona if the rumours are true)
6 Grub
7 Brooks
8 Matulino
9 Mc
10 Packer
11 Lawrence
12 McQueen
13 ET

14 Liddle
15 Twal
16 Eiso
17 Sue

Clifferd

Coach
Woking on the premise that Ivan is trying to simplify things and not create players out of recent position, Im going on with this:

1 Lolo
2 Nofo
3 Suli
4 Milne
6 Grub
7 Brooks
8 Matulino
9 Mc
10 Packer
11 Lawrence
12 McQueen
13 ET

14 Liddle
15 Twal
16 Eiso
17 Sue

Good side but Marsters is a must imo.

Put him on the bench in the utility role as a fill in for injuries / impact player

Reminds me of a stockier Jack Bird. Can create something from nothing

Ron's_Mate

Bench

1 Lolo
2 Nofo
3 Suli
4 Milne
6 Grub
7 Brooks
8 Matulino
9 Mc
10 Packer
11 Lawrence
12 McQueen
13 ET

14 Liddle
15 Twal
16 Eiso
17 Sue
I think that looks a likely 17 for the start of the season, based on current signings. There will be some depth to cover injuries and suspensions and to keep those players up to standard. I think the depth in the backs is pretty good, could do with a bit more in the forwards.

Shredder

Juniors
Rons mate - I agree, I cant remember us ever having this much back depth. I think we have two roster spots left, hopefully they are forwards.

Talk of Rochow signing to, if so, that would leave one - need another prop IMO.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I can see.

1. 6. and 9. changing through out the 80 minutes.

Lolohea, Marshall and Reynolds with Brooks playing the organiser.

Tigerm

First Grade
Rons mate - I agree, I cant remember us ever having this much back depth. I think we have two roster spots left, hopefully they are forwards.

Talk of Rochow signing to, if so, that would leave one - need another prop IMO.
Has ET signed yet?

Tiger05

First Grade
Has ET signed yet?

This is a concern isn't it. I reckon we need him.

The good thing about this discussion is that I think we will have a better team next year whatever team Ivan picks plus we will have a lot more depth.

Latest posts