What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have borderline personality disorder (BPD). AMA.

Patorick

Staff member
Do BPD men feel true love?

https://www.quora.com/Do-BPD-men-feel-true-love

Elinor Greenberg, Psychologist, Author, Lecturer, and Consultant on Narcissistic Disorders

Answered 4h ago

Everybody feels their own unique version of “true love.” Men with Borderline Personality Disorder are no exceptions. People who share the same diagnosis can be very different from one another and they will each experience love in their own way.

Some Examples…..

Barry: Barry’s ideal woman was a few years older than him, had big breasts, and was very nurturing. He fell in love with a busty, slightly over weight nurse who loved to take care of him. Barry’s version of true love involved getting the attention and nurturing that he yearned for from his mother and did not get.

For Barry, “true love” = Loving someone because she made him feel nurtured.

Biker Billy: Billy rode a big Harley Davidson motorcycle with a batch of “brothers” every weekend. He fell in love with Sandy, the tattoo artist who did the giant eagle on his back. She was as wild as he was. They got drunk, fought violently, and had passionate makeup sex. Their relationship was volatile, but loving. Billy spent his childhood being told thst he needed to stop misbehaving or he would never amount to anything. He didn’t want a woman who would badger him to behave himself.

For Billy, “true love”= Being with someone as wild as him.

John: John never felt ready to be an adult. Women seemed to love him anyway. He was happiest playing beach volleyball, smoking weed, and solving the world’s problems while ignoring his own. He had plenty of therapy, mostly for anxiety and depression, but none of it seemed to make a lasting difference in his life. He started lots of projects that he never got around to finishing. He had thought he would never marry because he felt that he would never be able to really commit to the responsibilities that he believed marriage entailed.

Betsy fell in love with John. She said that she would take him as he was. They got married.

For John, “true love” = Finding a woman that would let him stay a kid and avoid growing up.

Punchline: Everybody has a different conception of “true love.” A couple does not have to share the same conception of love to fall in love. In my experience people with Borderline Personality Disorder can be extremely loving and often fall in love very easily. Is this “true love?” It is for as long as it lasts— and for a few lucky couples it lasts a lifetime.

A2A

Elinor Greenberg, PhD, CGP

In private practice in NYC and the author of the book: Borderline, Narcissistic, and Schizoid Adaptations.

www.elinorgreenberg.com

Patorick

Staff member
gmdc7x.jpeg

Patorick

Staff member
10 Things My Friends Need to Know About My BPD

https://themighty.com/2017/08/things-friends-need-to-know-about-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/

By Katie Clark

I write about Borderline Personality Disorder

August 16, 2017

Everyone has demons. Some lay dormant for years and never truly escape the confines of the human body; others reveal themselves slowly until they have become so powerful, the human body is no longer able to retain them, and they reveal themselves to the outside world with such strength it becomes almost impossible to ignore. My demons do not lay dormant; they are completely exposed to not only the ones I love, but also to those who merely see me walking the streets of my college town. These demons are fueled by my borderline personality disorder (BPD).

I carry them with me wherever I go, unable to release myself from the chains that connect us. I carry them to class, to student org meetings and to parties, unable to escape. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to hide them from the ones I love, and now it has gotten to the point where the veil has been lifted completely and my ability to hide it is no longer an option; my demons are out there for everyone to see. The ones I love and care about experience firsthand the ugly side of my BPD, and as hard as they try, they can never look past the demons associated with my illness. All they see are the symptoms and this ugly and uncontrollable side of me that haunts me each and every day. They no longer see me. It is because of this I felt compelled to write to the ones I love, so they can begin to understand the inner monologue that is my BPD. Here are 10 things my friends need to know about my BPD.

1. I do not mean to be annoying.

2. I never mean to hurt anyone.

Loving someone who lives with BPD can be extremely difficult; those struggling with it know that. I blame myself every day for everything that has happened, and have to constantly live with the fact I’ve hurt the ones I love. I love and care about others so much, and I beat myself up every morning when I think of all the damage I’ve caused and can cause to others. At times I even loathe myself for it. Those who have protected me and care for me are so important in my life, and it breaks my heart knowing I could do anything to break their hearts as well. I never mean for my anger or unstable moods and irrationality to affect anyone. I never mean for my demons to become so powerful I no longer had a choice in the matter, and begin to act in ways that hurts my friends. That is the last thing I want, and if I have hurt anyone because of it, know I’m so sorry if I’ve had a negative impact on your life. All I want to do is make people smile, and to think I’ve done the opposite breaks my heart.

3. I don’t mean to attach myself to others.

This comes from the combined workings of my insecurity and my fear of abandonment. All I want in life is to be independent. I’m ambitious and motivated, but one thing holds me back — my dependency on others. I try my best to control it and prevent it from happening, but I have not yet learned the skills to combat it. I put these individuals on a pedestal, and latch onto them as a way to ensure they never leave my side (whether I want this or not). I spend all of my time with them and begin to think my world would be over without them. This is a thought process I do not like. I do not like feeling as if I need others — in fact, I actually hate it. There have been times when I’ve wanted space, where I’ve wanted to focus on myself instead of spending time with the person I love; but I can’t. It’s as if once again I’m in shackles, unable to detach myself from them for fear that when I do, they will leave. Because of this, I lean on them, never leave their side and constantly need them to ensure our friendship will last forever so I can feel more confident about us. While trying so hard to make them stay, I end up forcing them to leave, and that is the last thing I wish to do. All I want is to be independent in life, and not need others to validate my existence. Trust me, this has been something I have been working on through my treatment, with the help of medication, in the hopes I never lose someone because of this reason ever again.

4. I hate being angry.

5. I know my self-destructive behaviors are unacceptable.

6. Patience and understanding go a long way.

7. I am not my illness.

It’s difficult for those not living with a mental disorder to differentiate between my identity as a human being and my condition. My illness is only one small aspect of my life that at times takes control over me; that is still though not who I am. I am an animal lover, whose favorite move is “Fever Pitch,” and who hates being called her full name. That is who I am. At times, many of the ones I love morph the two together, and begin to believe I am just the girl with borderline personality disorder. I am so much more than that. I need the ones I love to remember why they became friends with me, and why I became such an important part of their lives before they even knew I was living with this disorder. That is the true Katie; that is truly who I am, and yes, recently I seem to have lost her a little bit, but she is still there. Once I’m healthy again, you will be able to see that Katie more than ever before. Just give me a chance to show you I am not my illness; I’m just a human being, and I am Katie. Just wait, and you’ll see; I am not my illness.

8. Please do not ostracize me or give up on me because of my illness.

9. If you have any questions, just ask.

10. Recovery is hard, but it’s a fight worth fighting for.

If you or someone you know needs help, visit our suicide prevention resources page.

Patorick

Staff member
http://bpdfoundation.org.au/bpd-awareness-week-2017-from-stigma-to-strength.php

logo-bg.png

Support Promote Advocate for Borderline Personality Disorder

BPD Awareness Week 2017: From Stigma to Strength

In 2017 an expanded group of clinical and not-for-profit organisations who have an interest in BPD are collaborating to continue to promote understanding of BPD in the community and the need for equitable access to evidence based treatment options and support (including families) to improve the quality of life for everyone impacted by BPD.

This year the group has decided to follow on the theme for the annual BPD conference to be held in Perth later in October. The theme for this year’s conference is “From Stigma to Strength”.

The group is very grateful for the generous financial support provided by Mind Australia Limited, NEAMI National, Project Air Strategy for Personality Disorders NSW, and Spectrum Personality Disorder Service for Victoria which has enabled us to contract The PR Collaborative to undertake a public relations and media campaign for BPD Awareness Week.

The BPD Awareness Week Collaboration group is also extremely appreciative of the pro bono support that Titan Digital are providing to refresh and manage the website they developed for BPD Awareness Week in 2016.

This year the Australian BPD Foundation is coordinating the BPD Awareness Collaboration group which includes:
• Australian BPD Foundation including the NSW, SA & Victorian Branches
• BPD Awareness ACT
• BPD Community
• Fenix Borderline Network WA
• Guy Ellies, Volunteer Project Coordinator 2016 BPD Awareness Week
• Helping Minds WA
• Mental Health Carers BSW
• Mental Illness Fellowship Australia
• Mind Australia Limited
• NEA-BPD [National Education Alliance for BPD (Aust)] and ‘Family Connections’
• NEAMI National
• Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health (Vic)
• Private Mental Health Consumer Carer Network (Australia)
• Project Air Strategy for Personality Disorders (NSW)
• SANE Australia
• Spectrum Personality Disorder Service for Victoria

It is great to see the group constantly expanding! We are building on the excellent foundation established in 2016 and look forward to building the momentum in 2017.

GET INVOLVED!

Check out the bpdawareness website to strengthen efforts to raise awareness of BPD and get involved!!

Patorick

Staff member
10 Ways to Support a Friend with Borderline Personality Disorder

By Kelly Oribine
November 11, 2016

http://www.kellyoribine.com/2016/11/10-ways-to-support-friend-with.html

Last winter my life fell to ****. I couldn’t function. My substance abuse and reckless behaviour escalated and began to frighten the people around me, and myself. After a short stay in my friendly neighbourhood psych ward I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD is a devastating mental illness characterized by intense and raw emotions, a frantic fear of abandonment, reckless and impulsive behaviour, and often self harm and suicidality.

For me, the diagnosis made a world of sense. All of a sudden the previous 15 years of my life made sense. I finally had an explanation for my pain, an observable reason for my chaotic behaviour. I could finally begin healing because we knew what was wrong. But my friends didn’t have that same aha! moment. They were left wondering how to love and support me, both in times of crisis and on ordinary grey days. This list is for them, and for anyone who loves someone living with BPD.

Each person's experiences with BPD is different, and I can only speak for myself about what will help me when I’m suffering, but there's a good chance that if a friend with BPD shared this article with you that these are ways they would like to be supported as well.

1. When I am discouraged, Remind me of past successes. I often cannot remember anything that doesn't coincide with my current feeling. If I am depressed I can’t remember ever feeling happy, If I’m anxious I can’t recall ever feeling safe. Be specific if you can, remind me that I've survived some pretty ****ty stuff and I can survive this too.

2. Remind me that normal is relative. That I'm not a freak or hopeless. Anyone who has been through what I've been through and has the challenges I have would be struggling with whatever I am in this moment. So in that respect, my fears and feelings are perfectly normal.

3. Distract me. Tell me about the great new book you are reading or that great new man you are dating or what you ate for dinner last night. Remind me to journal or exercise or create something. When my thoughts and feelings are spinning out of control I sometimes need help refocusing that energy in a safer and healthier way.

4. Don't be afraid to ask me if I'm safe, if I have a plan to hurt or kill myself. Asking me point blank reminds me that it is safe to tell on myself. And that somebody cares whether I live or die. If you fear for my safety, get a professional involved. I want to live, but I have moments where all I can see is a way out. If thinking about suicide turns into making plans, I cannot be alone until I’ve been assessed by a mental health professional.

5. Play up my successes and play down my crises. Nobody likes to be pegged as "attention seeking" but a very present temptation for me is to engage in risky behaviour so that people will come to my aid and tell me that I matter. So celebrate with me when my life is ticking along quietly with no big crisis. A quick text to say “hi” when nothing is wrong shows me that I don’t need to act out in order to be cared about.

6. Affirm and validate instead of criticizing and dismissing. When I feel abandoned or betrayed or vulnerable, my perception of the events is more powerful than the reality. Accept that I feel the way I do, acknowledge and validate those feelings. You don’t have to agree with my sometimes skewed understanding of the scenario in order to accept that my feelings about it are legitimate and genuine.

7. It's okay to set boundaries. If I'm texting or calling you too much, tell me. Preferably kindly and when I'm not in distress. Remember that my greatest fear is being abandoned by someone I think I need, so assure me that you aren't going anywhere and that you are setting these boundaries because it's what is best for both of us and our friendship.

8. Know that I don't mean to be clingy. Since I am sometimes unable to sooth my own difficult emotions and I have an ever changing sense of identity, I tend to attach myself to people who help me to feel safe and loved. I might latch on to you, don’t get weirded out. Understand that I don't consciously choose who I will latch on to, and I don’t want to be this way. Through therapy and practicing of new skills I will learn to be more independent. In the mean time, refer to tip #7.

9. Have normal conversations with me. My life right now is a whirlwind of appointments and meetings and self care, and it can be hard to relate to friends who are living with a more ordinary set of challenges and experiences. But please don’t let that stop you. I need to laugh and chat and feel like a regular part of the human race, to feel like I did before mental illness blew my life into fragments. A good chat over a cup of coffee can go a long way to making me feel like there is hope for a normal-ish life again someday.

10. Don’t give up on me. I know that when I hurt myself, it hurts those who love me. I know that I can be needy and clingy and irrational. And although I am making progress, some days I return to old habits of thinking and behaving. I start conflicts and push people away. But those times that I am difficult to love are the times I need it most, so please continue to be patient with me.

Loving each other well is hard work, but it is a sacred work. I am thankful for all the people engaged in the hard and sacred work of loving me when I am most unlovable.

http://www.kellyoribine.com/2016/11/10-ways-to-support-friend-with.html

Patorick

Staff member
Why are some people with certain mental illnesses, such as BPD and psychopathy, frequently surprisingly good at understanding people?

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-...tly-surprisingly-good-at-understanding-people

By Keisha Vida (Multiple diagnosis, autodidact)

The actual diagnostic criteria for BPD and psychopathy dictate they actually know very little about understanding people. However, I would say that high functioning people with BPD and psychopathy are absolutely excellent at it.

To become high functioning, you have to learn to question and override your reflex reactions and emotions (or lack thereof, in psychopathy). You have to study people, and in my case, psychology, to understand yourself and how your thought process differs from that of neurotypicals. To be high functioning dictates that you need to learn A LOT about neurotypicals, and we can, because we are surrounded by them. If you were surrounded by BPD and/or psychopathic people, you would learn a lot about us.

To be like someone, you have to learn how to think like them, or become very, very good at mimicry. I find mimicry suitable only as a secondary method of employment; if you mimic without understanding it can become somewhat of a Russian roulette.

Psychopaths have blunted and/or absence of some emotions from which they can build upon (understanding wise, they cannot gain emotions). They can learn cognitive empathy and love. BPD people have an abundance of emotions that are all experienced more intensely and for a longer period of time than NTs; we have too much emotional empathy and do better in learning to practise cognitive and compassionate empathy.

With BPD, I often say I’ve experienced more emotions than some people could in two lifetimes. BPDs have likely experienced every emotion that you can think of and have felt them more strongly than you ever will. We are also programmed to pick up on any and all emotions in others to protect ourselves from potential dangers. We can often experience other’s emotions as our own (emotional empathy).

So, us high-functioners are forced to understand neurotypicals to get by in their world; we develop a “mask” so that we may blend in.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-...tly-surprisingly-good-at-understanding-people

BadSport

Juniors
Pat, I think they've conditioned you to think about yourself and describe yourself in a certain way, that is disempowering to yourself.

They are describing you to yourself through the lens of a mental illness, instead of encouraging you to think for yourself and make up your own mind.

Latest posts