What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "if I won lotto, I'd do.........."

Legit surprised at the relatively lowball goals listed.

A roadtrip across the states in a classic car? That's proper do-able with a $10 grand budget and some long service leave.
A roadtrip across Oz in a Winnebago... Not that hard and hardly costs millions.
Every metal fest? Slightly harder than the above but with some budgeting and free time you can pull it off.
Have your own mechanic workshop? Why don't you bundy down with your mechanic buddy and set up a business that restores classic cars? Hell, it might make you rich. Sounds like you'd be much happier than what you are doing.
A top of the line Ford Ranger? Sheesh! You can pick one up a couple of years old in mint nick for $50,000. That's like 250 a week in loan payments.

Of course having unlimited bank means you can really achieve these goals in fine style (flying first class, 5 star hotels) but nothing I see is even remotely unachievable, even on a battlers wage if you want it bad enough.

It seems to me that the thing we most covet is free time and a bit of coin to sustain us through that time. Interesting.

Me. I want a genuine mid 20th century modernist house. Then I want to spend northern hemi winter on snow for the entire season (a different location every year) in a mint lodge starting in Whistler then going around the map. Regular heliskiing. Then do autumn and spring near the surf. Same set up. Full season in the one place. First Byron, then Indo, then Maldives. Rinse and Repeat. And for my family to be debt free. I'd also start a hobby business doing hot sauce but I wouldn't want to run it day to day. I'd have regular, legendary, massive coke parties in remote locations and fly family and friends to them.

d8468178cedae844f6a3b7c4f9f57927--palm-springs-style-old-houses.jpg

Lambretta

First Grade
Frank - for my road trip I want to buy / have made a proper classic hot rod
Budget $40,000 before accommodation, fuel, food etc are taken into account
It would be a 4 month trip so would probably mean leaving the US and re-entering on tourist visas

I reckon the trip I have in mind would cost me $100,000 - so it's a bit more than a budget $10k trip

The other idea I have kicking round in my brain is that I'd like to build a row of terraced houses
By a block, knock down any existing structure(s) and build a row of terraces
Old school style, but with modern everything

But yeah - your observation that most people want the time to indulge in something and a bit of coin to achieve it is probably spot on. Of course we'd all pay off mortgages / buy houses so that would take a couple of mill in Sydney anyway!

adamkungl

Immortal
It seems to me that the thing we most covet is free time and a bit of coin to sustain us through that time. Interesting.

Bingo..
Yeah most of the things listed are achievable.. if you make potentially crippling sacrifices in other parts of your life and throw everything you have left into it.

You could save and budget for years to be able to afford a 12 month trip around Europe, put your job and relationships on hold, then have to come back and start fresh dead broke afterwards.

If money's no object it makes the idea a whole lot more realistic. And when you're done you can just pick the next thing on your list!

Plus, I certainly can't buy St George and tank them into the ground so hard they never recover on $250 a week repayments.

Frank - for my road trip I want to buy / have made a proper classic hot rod
Budget $40,000 before accommodation, fuel, food etc are taken into account
It would be a 4 month trip so would probably mean leaving the US and re-entering on tourist visas

If you sold the car at the end of it you get that $40k back. The unattainable cost is in the 4 months with no income.

I did a 3 week road trip in the states in 2010. Was awesome.

Bingo..
Yeah most of the things listed are achievable.. if you make potentially crippling sacrifices in other parts of your life and throw everything you have left into it.

You could save and budget for years to be able to afford a 12 month trip around Europe, put your job and relationships on hold, then have to come back and start fresh dead broke afterwards.

Bang on. I guess I'm just looking at things from a lens of career planning. I do some work with year 11 and 12s on life planning. One of the exercises we do for those who say "I dunno" is ask 'em what they'd do day to day if they won lotto after the big party.

Fix up old cars? Big chance the kid should be a mechanic.
Collect horses? Get into the equine industry.
Do nothing but surf? Surf coach/guide/sales rep for billabong

I see plenty of this in this thread from middle aged dudes. It's cool.

Lambretta

First Grade
If you sold the car at the end of it you get that $40k back. The unattainable cost is in the 4 months with no income.

I did a 3 week road trip in the states in 2010. Was awesome.

Sif I'd sell it if I were loaded
I'd ship it back here and put it in a f**k off huge man cave

I'd buy a Jag Mk V, and a villa near San Mames stadium.

Depending on how much I won I'd make a considerable donation to the Victor Change Institute.

Iafeta

Referee
A journey is more than the destination
It's the journey that means something. Driving is far superior to flying
I have driven and flown to Queensland on a number of occasions

I'd take the drive over the flight purely for the experience of the journey and the things you see on the way. You can still stay in nice places on a road trip. You don't have to slum if you don't want to

I tip my hat in agreement to that. I've just driven the Californian coast and through the Mohave to Sin City, and I've previously driven the East Coast of the States, and it's the unknown random spots that make it always. And finding some classic road rock stations to boot.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd buy Leichhardt Oval, fix the existing stands so that can be used, Install a permanent big screen on the hill and on weekends when no games are played there, play old footy games on the screen and everyone can sit on the field.

Reminds me of something I recently saw in LA. At the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, on Saturday nights in summer they play old movies :movie_camera: off a wall on a grassy noll there. Generally with the :sparkles: stars who are resting there in the movies.

Latest posts