What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests legend retires

Vic Mackey

Referee
I felt that he never got the recognition he deserved from the wider RL community. At this club we obviously love him but Morley, Surgess and even Graham are spoke about as legend yet for some reason Ellis doesn't appear to be held in as high regard as them. Maybe because he wasnt a grub. Personally I'd take Gaz over any of them. Congrats Gareth on a stellar career!

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Enjoy

Also just saw he did a best 13 he ever played with, few Tigers made it:

2. Tuiaki
4. Lawrence
6. Marshall (said he was the best player he played with or against)
11. Heighington

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
My absolute favourite all time WT player.A phenomenal world class forward & player with exemplary attitude.He really was pleasantly out of place at a club accustomed to fielding soft cock skirt - wearing sluggish forwards.

Difference between our 2 greatest players Gareth & Benji is Gareth was consistently stupendous for us whereas Benji unfortunately was shithouse over the last 2 yrs.The reason Benji is forgiven is 05-11 especially 05 coz he was uniquely mercurial & when he was on it was euphoric.

Thanks for the great memories Gareth & ur immense contribution particularly towards our wonderful 10 & 11 seasons!!

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Enjoy

Also just saw he did a best 13 he ever played with, few Tigers made it:

2. Tuiaki
4. Lawrence
6. Marshall (said he was the best player he played with or against)
11. Heighington

"No neck" Heighington....the soft shoe shuffler...hahaha....more for his training than playing I think that might be.
Lawrence was good when Gareth was around..playing centres back then.

Clifferd

Coach
He was so fckin good and probsbly one of the poms you could say "if he was Australian, he'd make the Australian team"

It's a shame his career wasn't that long here but I'm forever grateful for the memories.

I'd like to see the stats but I reckon he's better than Surgess, only difference is Surgess has been here longer and lucky enough to win a premiership.

In saying that, brings back bad nostalgic memories of how close we were to winning '10 / '11 premiership and it would've been mainly off the back of him

Tiger05

First Grade
How good was he. He had footwork as well as size. He was a great edge player. His defence was also awesome.

bjm8

Juniors

Such a brilliant video as it really shows what a complete player he was... Ivan should make our forwards watch this compilation on loop. What stands out most to me is the brilliant lines he ran off Benji & Lui. Several examples of receiving the ball 10-15 mtrs from the sideline, 10 metres out and scoring under the sticks untouched.

Despite 2 top 4 finishes I still reckon we massively underachieved in 10 & 11.

Clifferd

Coach
Such a brilliant video as it really shows what a complete player he was... Ivan should make our forwards watch this compilation on loop. What stands out most to me is the brilliant lines he ran off Benji & Lui. Several examples of receiving the ball 10-15 mtrs from the sideline, 10 metres out and scoring under the sticks untouched.

Despite 2 top 4 finishes I still reckon we massively underachieved in 10 & 11.

I felt we overachieved in 10 & underachieved in 11

Really thought we were cooked heading into that semi vs Canberra yet hung in there somehow. Then thought we were complete cactus in the prelim yet probably were the better team and lost. We couldn't have played any better in that game, we were perfect

11 I felt more confident heading into the finals but choked. Although Melbourne were very good that year, unsure if we would've beat them in the prelim

I felt we were better in '10.

We should have won that game against St. George. Still cannot understand how Tuqiri being kneed in the back was let go.

Clifferd

Coach
I felt we were better in '10.

We should have won that game against St. George. Still cannot understand how Tuqiri being kneed in the back was let go.

That was disgraceful

St merge were the fairy tale team that year though, they got the 50/50 calls all year so no surprise