What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Broncos

j0nesy

Bench
Looking at the positives...
1. Its great to be on here and not blaming the refs for the loss
2. The team showed a lot of ticker tonight. Especially if you believe that several of them came down with the flu today and yesterday.
3. Vaughan, Thompson and Dufty were good tonight.
4. If we win both of our remaining games there's still a good chance that we make the 8.

This Year?

Immortal
I'm so angry about how bad we played with our season on the line. I just shook my head when Dugan dropped it both time and Widdop kicked on the 2nd tackle and *edit* Mann's nice kickoff from halfway.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Just got home from the game and that comment sums it up perfectly . Nothing more to it .

Totally agree , that was and will always be the difference until there are huge changes made in the coaching structure etc. There were some errors tonight that proved costly in the final outcome of the game .

But perhaps what is even more amazing , is the fact that with the exception of metres run , the Dragons came out ahead of the Brisbane side in all of other stats , yet we still could not get close to them .

Cold comfort I know , however it shows that there is certainly a lack of on-field cohesion . A bit like a gearbox not clicking into the right gear , it's not in sync .
The boys went much better then I thought that they would . As disappointing as tonight's result is , they can regroup and end the season on a high .

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
Totally agree , that was and will always be the difference until there are huge changes made in the coaching structure etc. There were some errors tonight that proved costly in the final outcome of the game .

But perhaps what is even more amazing , is the fact that with the exception of metres run , the Dragons came out ahead of the Brisbane side in all of her stats .

Cold comfort I know , however it shows that there is certainly a lack of on-field cohesion . A bit like a gearbox not clicking into the right gear , it's not in sync .
The boys went much better then I thought that they would . As disappointing as tonight's result is , they can regroup and end the season on a high .

They are interesting stats, before the game I would have bet it would have been completely the other way around. After watching the game I really don't think we did the tough stuff well enough in that game. Brisbane were there for the taking tonight. Stupid, school boy errors aside, I don't think we used our forwards as well as we could have there should have been a few more forward runs. JDB played ok, but I thought he propped and stopped far too many times when he got to the line. We needed the forwards to do the hard yards. Could have been Brisbane's defence, I'm not sure, but I thought they were sitting back in defence a bit in the first half. I think someone else said it earlier, our forwards needed a couple of quick offloads to one another or even a couple of short balls.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Irrespective of how Dugan went tonight can someone tell me what the McGregor logic was originally having an internationsl centre on the wing and Aitken returning from a bad shoulder injury and lacking match fitness marking a strong and robust centre in Moga.....sorry I just dont get it...please enlighten me gentlemen....

Last edited:

mobels

Juniors
Irrespective of how Dugan went tonight can someone tell me what the McGregor logic was having an internationsl centre on the wing and Aitken returning from a bad shoulder injury and lacking match fitness marking a strong and robust centre in Moga.....sorry I just dont get it...please enlighten me gentlemen....
Dugan played centres all game and was turned into Moga's bitch throughout it.

Bench
We got beat. No excuses. Hunt next year is going to be what we need.
We lacked direction in attack. Our kicking options were bad again.
Dufty played a solid game took two bombs and did ok.
The broncs didn't have it all like the last two weeks.
The worst thing from the game is Lafaii's hair cut

MilanDragon

Juniors
Irrespective of how Dugan went tonight can someone tell me what the McGregor logic was having an internationsl centre on the wing and Aitken returning from a bad shoulder injury and lacking match fitness marking a strong and robust centre in Moga.....sorry I just dont get it...please enlighten me gentlemen....

He actually had Dugan at centre and Aitken on the wing. Doesn't matter when Aitken came back from injury he was always going to mark up against someone strong in centre/wing. The other option was Milne - know who I'd rather!

If let's say McGregor went outside of Aitken/Milne and kept Mann at 7, McDonald was out, who else you suggest? KFFL? Or bring someone in for their debut? Then we could criticise McGregor for giving a debut to someone in such a game against Oates and Moga.

JDHD

Juniors
I know it's a team sport and no individual player can ever cost you a game, but Josh Dugan absolutely cost us this game. Take away his gift try and give us the one he bombed, it's 18-all. f**king hell, what an absolute merkin

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Brisbane were slick, fast and clever while we were clumsy, slow and error ridden. The team needs a good cleanout as it seldom
plays with any cohesion or application.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Putting Dugan on the wing would've shot his confidence hence the dropped balls errors from out of position plays. Only ran 44m !

It was also the Milford show and he was the classiest player and well above all players on the field. Broncos too good.

Nice kick from Ben Hunt to his winger though. Looking good for 2018!

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fall to the Broncos
Fri 18th August, 10:00PM
A A

By Eden Richards‌, Queensland Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

The St George Illawarra Dragons have gone down 24-12 to the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Milford had a hand in two tries and scored one of his own as he ran riot over a desperate Dragons side that now sits ninth and on the verge of missing out on the finals.

St George Illawarra must now win their remaining two fixtures and hope results go their way and it is a task that will be made even harder, with Euan Aitken set to miss time after going down with a shoulder injury late in the match.

The Broncos are not without injury concerns of their own, with bench forwards Jai Arrow and Tevita Pangai Junior both struggling to finish the match.

Brisbane went into half-time with a 14-6 lead and it was not long before they extended it after the break.

Alex Glenn grabbed his second try in the 50th minute, crossing the line courtesy of a superb short-ball from lock Josh McGuire. Milford added the extras to give the Broncos a 14-point lead.

The Dragons returned serve in the 57th minute when Tim Lafai crossed for a four-pointer, and when Gareth Widdop kicked truly moments later his side were back in it, trailing by just eight.

But any chance of a St George Illawarra comeback was snuffed out in the 68th minute, with winger Corey Oates scoring a spectacular diving try in the left corner. Milford sprayed his conversion attempt and the score stayed at 24-12 with ten minutes to go.

That is how it remained and the signs were there early for St George Illawarra when the scoring opened in extraordinary circumstances, much to the Dragons' detriment.

Josh Dugan knocked on trying to diffuse a Milford cross-field kick and Glenn pounced on the loose ball to give his side the perfect start to the clash.

Dugan continued his horror beginning to the match in the 11th minute, knocking on over the try-line courtesy of a desperate Oates tackle.

But class players do not stay down for long, and Dugan proved it in the 16th minute, putting through a beautiful grubber kick for Paul Vaughan to score under the posts. Widdop then put his side up 6-4 with the conversion.

The Broncos hit back in the 20th minute, with Milford stepping his way through the Red V's defence to score. He could not convert his own try to keep the score at 8-6 in Brisbane's favour.

Wayne Bennett's men continued to show their strength in attack and this time it was Ben Hunt who stepped up. Hunt showed his future club what awaits them in 2018, latching onto a Herman Ese'ese offload before putting in a flawless cross-field kick for Kahu. Kahu scored untouched and Milford kicked his first of the night to give his side a 14-6 lead at the break.

Brisbane Broncos 24 (Glenn 2, Kahu, Oates, Milford tries; Milford 2 goals) defeated St George Illawarra 12 (Vaughan, Lafai tries, Widdop 2 goals) at Suncorp Stadium. Half-time: Broncos 14-6. Crowd: 31,832. Holden Cup: Broncos 46-12.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/18/dragons_fall_to_the_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Broncos put major dent to Dragons finals hopes

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

18 Aug 2017, 9:30 p.m.
r0_0_4558_3120_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOO GOOD: Brisbane ran in five tries to two in a 24-12 win over the Dragons on Friday night. Picture: AAP

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s finals hopes are hanging by a thread after slipping to a 24-12 loss to Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

It was their 10th straight loss in Brisbane and their sixth in their past nine games, leaving them needing to win both their remaining clashes against the Panthers and Bulldogs to book a finals date.

It was a gallant performance that could well have been encouraging for Dragons fans were it not for their precarious position on the ladder that could see them four points adrift of the top eight should other round 23 results go against them.

Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford proved their chief tormentor, scoring a try and having a hand in three others, though his two from five off the tee was all that kept the Dragons alive deep into the match.

If their horror record at Suncorp Stadium wasn’t enough, the visitors endured a nightmare preparation with the worst flu season in 15 years sweeping through the camp in the lead-up.

Hame Sele was a late withdrawal with the virus while Nene Macdonald (knee) and Tyson Frizell (ankle) both suffered injuries in Thursday’s captain’s run.

It saw Macdonald ruled out while Frizell again showed his warrior qualities to play out the match but it wasn’t enough to get his side over the line.

To make matters worse, centre Euan Aitken re-injured the shoulder that had kept him out of his side’s three previous games in the 79th minute and looks to be facing another stint on the sidelines.

The Dragons will now turn their attention to next Sunday’s showdown with Penrith at Pepper Stadium that will have a huge impact on both sides finals prospects.

The Broncos were on the board early through Alex Glenn who collected the scraps after Josh Dugan fumbled a kick from Milford. Milford’s conversion attempt bounced off the upright, keeping the margin at 4-0 after just four minutes.

After withstanding an early onslaught, the Dragons looked certain to level up in the ninth minute only for Dugan to spill the ball cold over the try-line.

Dugan quickly redeemed himself, laying on a try for Paul Vaughan with a perfectly weighted grubber with Widdop’s conversion taking a 6-4 lead after 17 minutes.

It was short-lived with an error from Vaughan in the ensuing set opening the door for Milford to step his way across from close-range and re-take the lead 8-6.

Widdop put the kickoff dead on the full but a mistake from Milford at the other end gave the Dragons a brief reprieve before Dragons-bound Ben Hunt produced an inch-perfect kick for Jordan Kahu to cross out wide.

Milford broke his duck off the tee, extending the margin to eight six minutes before the break. The Dragons forced two repeat sets in the minutes before halftime but couldn’t put a dent in the deficit.

Glenn grabbed his double nine minutes after the resumption to give his side a 14-point buffer after Milford slotted the extras.

Tim Lafai pegged it back slightly when he scored off a fumble from Kahu with Widdop adding the extras the get back within eight with 22 minutes to play.

Corey Oates snuffed out any hope of a comeback with an incredible finish in the left-hand corner 12 minutes from fulltime.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4865804/broncos-too-good-for-dragons-in-brisbane/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Brave St George Illawarra Dragons fall 24-12 to Brisbane Broncos
Andrew Parkinson
18 Aug 2017, 10 p.m.
r0_247_3272_2094_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

No way through: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan is tackled against Brisbane on Friday night. Picture: Dan Peled/AAP Image

On the face of it, this was simply another loss. St George Illawarra’s 11th of the season and one that could prove fatal to their top eight hopes.

But look past the score – the Dragons went down 24-12 to Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night – it was a spirited display from the undermanned red V. While they may have been outclassed by a quality Brisbane side, St George Illawarra refused to give up. They were still in the game with 15 minutes to play.

The Dragons remain two points outside the top eight with the three teams above them on 28 points – Penrith, Manly and North Queensland – all yet to play this weekend. Wins for any of that trio would see them open up a gap on St George Illawarra. Though the Dragons will particularly have an eye on the Panthers’ clash with 10th-placed Canberra (24 points), with St George Illawarra to take on Penrith next weekend in what could still be a play-off for a finals place.

The Dragons were without Hame Sele and Nene Macdonald, with Euan Aitken returning from a shoulder injury. Tyson Frizell passed a late fitness test to take his place in the side.

It was a horror start for Josh Dugan, who gifted the Broncos the opening try after four minutes. The NSW centre failed to mark an Anthony Milford kick as he attempted to place a foot in the in-goal area, only for Alex Glenn to dive on the loose ball.

Corey Oates puts in a last effort and stops what would have been a brilliant @NRL_Dragons Try!#NRLBroncosDragons#NRLpic.twitter.com/VOp0994GH0

— NRL (@NRL) August 18, 2017
Dugan then bombed an almost certain try five minutes later thanks to a Corey Oates try-saving tackle after Dragons halfback Kurt Mann had produced an excellent run and offload.

Luckily St George Illawarra didn’t have to wait long for their first points, with Darius Boyd gifting the Dragons possession after failing to catch a high Widdop kick. Dugan earned some redemption from the next set, placing a tidy grubber kick into the in-goal for Paul Vaughan to charge through and score.

But the Dragons failed to complete their set after scoring points and were punished by Milford, who turned Gareth Widdop inside out to score out wide.

Brisbane could have been further in front when St George Illawarra put their kick-off dead on the full. The Broncos charged downfield, only for Mann to produce a superb try-saving tackle on Glenn.

Paul Vaughan scoring tries front-rowers dream about!#NRLBroncosDragons#NRLpic.twitter.com/N660QynaNk

It wasn’t until just after the half hour mark that Brisbane extended their lead. Dragons fans would have watched with mixed feelings as 2018 recruit Ben Hunt came off the Broncos’ bench to produce a moment of magic. On the second tackle, Hunt ghosted towards the defensive line and put in a deft crossfield kick in behind Jason Nightingale, hitting Jordan Kahu on the chest for the winger to touch down. It was the sort of creativity and vision Paul McGregor will hope to see from the 27-year-old in the red V next season.

The Broncos took a 14-6 lead to half-time and appeared to be cruising 10 minutes after the break when Glenn extended the advantage. It was the same play as the first half, only this time Mann was unable to stop the back-rower from scoring out wide.

But the Dragons refused to quit. They were back in the game with 20 minutes remaining when Tim Lafai crossed after Kahu had failed to deal with a Widdop kick.

Ben Hunt conjures something out of nothing!#NRLBroncosDragons#NRLpic.twitter.com/OgmKvxSf8F

It was a superb finish from Oates that would seal the result for Brisbane in the 70th minute, with the giant winger holding off two Dragons defenders as he dived over in the corner.

There was injury added to insult for St George Illawarra, with Aitken appearing to suffer another shoulder injury during the final play of the game.

St George Illawarra’s dismal record in Brisbane may have continued – this was their 10th loss in a row at Suncorp – and their finals destiny may be now out of their own hands. But if this performance is anything to go by, the Dragons won’t give up on 2017 without a fight.

Leader Scoreboard

Brisbane Broncos 24 (Alex Glenn two, Anthony Milford, Jordan Kahu, Corey Oates tries. Anthony Milford two goals)

defeated

St George Illawarra Dragons 12 (Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai tries. Gareth Widdop two goals)

at Suncorp Stadium

Leader man of the match: Anthony Milford (Broncos)

Dragons’ next two: Panthers (away), Bulldogs (home)

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4865845/report-video-brave-dragons-fall-to-broncos/?cs=3833

The calm one

Juniors
Looking at the positives...
1. Its great to be on here and not blaming the refs for the loss
2. The team showed a lot of ticker tonight. Especially if you believe that several of them came down with the flu today and yesterday.
3. Vaughan, Thompson and Dufty were good tonight.
4. If we win both of our remaining games there's still a good chance that we make the 8.
I honestly thought our second half attack was some of the best I had seen all year. We threw the kitchen sink at them. We were just beaten by a better side. Showed great signs for next season somethin to look forward to