What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup / Sydney Shield 2017

rightleftin

Juniors
Of the 17 that played for Cabra in their 34-20 loss to Wenty in RMC on Saturday, Brent Anderson has been elevated to NSW Cup, Kisi Taulani has the week off and the other 15 have been named in a 20 man SS squad to play East Campbelltown this week.

Razor12

Juniors
Good to see Trent Jennings back after a bad injury for Penrith in their trials in 2016. Hopefully he can remain injury free and get a contract off Chris Yates for 2018 who is coaching Cabramatta again next season.
are you certain Chris Yates will return to cabramatta next year as he wasn't happy years ago unless things have changed iIonto see him coming back

Pantherman72

Juniors
are you certain Chris Yates will return to cabramatta next year as he wasn't happy years ago unless things have changed iIonto see him coming back
Wenty had won 4 GFs in 5 years - since Chris went there they havent made one. Cabra won the GF and then Chris took over and havent made one since. Dave Norman runs Cabra now and used to drink with Chris on NSW Cup Rep team trips and they are mates so the job is Chris's as Wenty want him gone and will have Hutchinson who was at Mounties. Its a shame as Cabra need a clean out of players and new coaching IMO.

rightleftin

Juniors
The GF has come a week early in each of the last 2 seasons and ironically it has been due to the fact that the Premiers, Mounties failed to win in the first week of the finals, meaning that they met Wenty in the second last week and each time won by very narrow margins and then blew away inferior Asquith and St Marys sides in the fake GF's. This problem can only arise by having 8 teams finals.

Pantherman72

Juniors
And what was the score 3 years ago when they got knocked out with ex NRL players such as Liam Foran and Nathan Smith in the spine?

rightleftin

Juniors
Results | Ron Massey Cup Round 23
Mounties 18 (L Li, H Raiwalui, C Taripo tries; M Kennedy 3 goals) def Hills District Bulls 10 (S Walpole, C O'Donnell tries; C O'Donnell goal)

St Marys Saints 62 (J Vaegaau 3, J Hill 3, P Nay 2, V Lilimaiava, J Tuliatu, D Zammit tries; M Place 9 goals) def Western Suburbs Magpies 24 (J Davis, B Goodman, T Mapesone, K Tia Kilifi, K Coakes tries; V Mapesone 2 goals)

Results | Sydney Shield Round 23
Mounties 44 (J Ellul 2, B Dooley 2, M Stig 2, B Speechley 2, F Tagiilima tries; J Ellul 4 goals) def Hills District Bulls 18 (S Shephard, I Gorman, B Pauls tries; J Horvat 3 goals)

St Marys Saints 54 (S Faafua 4, A Eisenhuth 2, A Glanville 2, F Enese, C Smith tries; A Glanville 4, A Davis 3 goals) def Western Suburbs Magpies 12 (B Shaw, H Taala tries; B Higgins 2 goals)

Asquith Magpies 36 (J Pickering 3, A Nicholls-O'Neill 2, A Bou-Sleiman tries; S Jarvis 6 goals) def Moorebank Rams 26 (Z Hetherington 2, M Stanley, J Timoti, K Hayman tries; K Hayman 3 goals)

Belrose Eagles 28 (M Tweedie 2, M Leach, C Bate, T Noovao tries; A Layton 4 goals) def Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 12 (C Davis, B Benjamin, A Soni tries)

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC
Concord-Burwood-Glebe Wolves 50
(K Seru 4, S Latu 3, P Siolo, H O'Toole, L Schaumkel tries; K Aldridge 5 goals) def Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 26 (B Fritz, G Tsikrikas, M El Boustani, K Manu, P Aupaau tries; A Manu 3 goals)

Guildford Owls 34 (L Ngaluafe 3, J Camroux, N Masima, J Carlaw tries; J Camroux 5 goals) def Wentworthville Magpies 18 (J Miller 2, Z Nicholls tries; J Rafferty-Butfield 3 goals)

SS
Guildford Owls 44
(N Okladnikov 3, C Eyles 2, T Sapienza, C Alaalatoa, J King tries; T Sapienza 6 goals) def Wentworthville Magpies 20 (J Rika 2, S Sisifa 2 tries; K Cryer, S Sisifa goals)

East Campbelltown Eagles 40 (C Moustakas 2, S Kimi-Ioane 2, M Talolua 2, F Tevaga tries; E Connor 6 goals) def Cabramatta 30 (T McDonald 2, D Thompson 2, J Thompson tries; T Jennings 5 goals)

MountainMan

Juniors
Be interesting to know how many Ron Massey cup players Cabramatta used today?

Top 8 is sorted in both comps.
Top 4 spots still up for grabs (4th spot)

rightleftin

Juniors
Be interesting to know how many Ron Massey cup players Cabramatta used today?

13 players from the side that lost to Wenty RMC last week played today in the loss to East Campbelltown by 10 points but a number of those 13 would not have played RMC earlier in the season, as over the last few weeks Newtown has called back all its players that have been with Cabra for most of the season.

Regardless of how East Campbelltown finish the season, they should be pushed into RMC next season along with Asquith.

Can anyone please tell me what the finals playoff structure is for RMC and SS?

I think this is how it works but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Week 1 (QF/Elimination Finals)
1 vs 4 (QF 1)
2 vs 3 (QF 2)
5 vs 8 (EF 1)
6 vs 7 (EF 2)

Week 2 (Semi Finals)
Semi Final 1:
QF 1 Loser vs EF 1 Winner
Semi Final 2:
QF 2 Loser vs EF 2 Winner

Week 3 (Prelim Finals)
Prelim Final 1:
QF 1 Winner vs SF 2 Winner
Prelim Final 2:
QF 2 Winner vs SF 1 Winner

Week 4 (Grand Final)
PF 1 Winner vs PF 2 Winner

LADDERS

Shield

View attachment 14681

Just 9 teams fighting for the 8 now, BWSE a remote outside chance of displacing Belrose or Cabra but can't see it happening.

What's looking good is Round 24 (not this round but next) where the top four all play each other - Mounties v Asquith and St Marys v Wenty on the Saturday. Might go a ways to deciding the minor premiership.

Massey

View attachment 14682

Similarly here Round 24 shapes as a big one with St Marys v Wenty essentially to decide the Minor premiership.

At the other end of the table the eight is pretty much sorted, Wests a mathematical possibility but won't happen.

Auburn and Cabra had the bye in Rd 23 so do they both get the 2 pts for the bye round too? Which would put Auburn on equal 28 pts with Blacktown and Concord Glebe. If so, dependant on the competitions Rd 24 & 25 byes, wins and losses, Auburn could possibly sneak into 5th spot heading into finals....... Not a bad turnaround considering they were helping hold up the bottom of the ladder a few months ago!!!

Last edited:
The advent of one club teams means that every time Auburn and CBGW played at home the opposition also have to send their SS sides to Belrose and Moorebank so my suggestion is not unique and it would have meant a third trip to 2 grounds instead of the RMC side sitting around doing nothing, sometimes playing 1 game in 4 weeks, and the 2 team clubs would receive more occasions with 2 games at home.

The weakness in the suggestion is that 22 games for 10 teams means that not every team is played 3 times, but given that there are no easybeats in the comp and only the bottom 2 miss out, it does not really matter.

In on field matters today, Mounties had their first win in 2 months by beating Auburn 24-16. After Mounties scored early, Auburn dominated the rest of the first half but only led 10-6 at the break when forced to take 2 penalty goals from constant infringements in the Mulga red zone that did not result in a sinbinning.

In the second half Auburn stood back and Mounties took advantage. The Mounties backline was unclogged by the presence of the Kennedy bros at 6 and 7 with Speechley relegated to SS where he will provide some value.

Cabra are under significant pressure today with only 25 players being used in the 2 games with a 3 man bench in SS with 8 playing in both grades after Newtown used 5 players today from last week's RMC side.

I have been avoiding commenting on the RMC Rd 22 Mounties vs Auburn game as I don't want to sound like I'm whinging through team coloured tinted glasses.... BUT I can't not comment anymore because I was so appalled with how deliberately dirty Mounties played in the first half especially that I'm hoping I was not the only person on here that was there watching that game as I'd like your thoughts on the game too!

Now I know for a fact that Mounties train their players to be dirty in defence especially when in the ruck and wrestling an opposition player to the ground, so I did expect it, but what I witnessed was absolutely not in the spirit of the game!!! The amount of deliberate dirty penalties called against Mounties in that first half and the copious amount of deliberately obvious penalties when Auburn had them camped on their try line late in the half were terrible and at least one or two sin-bins were a sure thing but for whatever reason the ref didn't send any Mounties players off, even after giving them a final warning and they continued to penalise!!! Which resulted in Auburn having to take 2 penalty goals before half time!

I don't know if the ref had a word to Mounties at the break but they came out with a slightly minuscule better attitude in the 2nd half like they decided they actually wanted to play some footy but their first half tactics obviously had their desired effect on Auburn, taking out their sting in attack and resilience in defence while also rattling some Auburn players, especially their dominating try scoring centre Addison D, which allowed Mounties to control most of the 2nd half.

However, Auburn made a late comeback in the 2nd half and came within 4 pts but Mounties got down and dirty again, even deliberately eye-gauging the Auburn fullback as he tried to score a try, and no sin bin for it either, Auburn just couldn't hold the same resilience they showed in the first half and allowed Mounties to score again and come away with the win.

In hindsight Auburn did need the loss after a few wins on the trot to bring them back to reality leading into finals, but here's hoping they learn from it so if they do meet Mounties in the finals they're not only ready for it but they've learnt how to overcome it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
@footyfeverforever the ladders posted were from prior to Round 23 - updated ladders below.

RMC - each team will finish having played 18 games across the 25 rounds. St Mary's are more or less minor premiers unless Wenty can record two massive massive wins.

The eight is decided apart from positioning 3rd-8th.

upload_2017-8-18_11-4-41.png

Shield - each team will finish having played 22 games across the 25 rounds. BWSE are a *very* outside chance of eighth but would need two big big results themselves. Minor prem wide open between Mounties and Saints with Mounties in the box seat on F/A.

upload_2017-8-18_11-4-15.png

As for the finals structure, the good folk at NSWRL advise that RMC, SS and ISP are all top eight same as the NRL.

rightleftin

Juniors
Blacktown SS need to win both games as well as Cabra lose both games and improve the relative F/A by 84 points. Blacktown won 4 of their first 5 games with a side roughly equivalent to their current RMC side and have then won only 2 games in the last 15 after all the players went to other clubs, so while the might beat Hills this week the chance of flogging Mounties will probably be redundant after Cabra play Moorebank on Saturday afternoon.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Absolutely - was only pointing out that it was mathematically possible.

rightleftin

Juniors
In an extraordinary move, Asquith have forfeited to Mounties in SS, in a move that could cost them a place in the top 4.

In contrast, St Marys have demonstrated their desire to win the SS by recruiting 3 experienced players from the Penrith A Grade for the end of season games. On the bench today are forwards Eddie To'o, who has played the season with the St Marys feeder team, Colyton (finished outside the top 5) as well as Pat Hollis, who has played both NSW Cup and Qld Cup and Luke Aitchison, who were both playing with Windsor, who were eliminated from the finals last week. In addition, ex NRL player, Sonny Tuigamala is back after a 2 month break.

kbw

Bench
I have been avoiding commenting on the RMC Rd 22 Mounties vs Auburn game as I don't want to sound like I'm whinging through team coloured tinted glasses.... BUT I can't not comment anymore because I was so appalled with how deliberately dirty Mounties played in the first half especially that I'm hoping I was not the only person on here that was there watching that game as I'd like your thoughts on the game too!.

It was interesting watching their SS side (same day as RM v Auburn), not too dirty apart from one absolute moron #18 who was an average player at best but relished in the filth. But one the field they did not stop whinging and it was obvious why, their coach ( I am assuming it was) never shut up whinging about every single call the referee made, right or wrong.

But your post leads me to what I saw at Cabra today, They were very dirty. Not all, their big hard working props played hard but fair as did a couple of others But there were some more intent on being thugs So much so I was questioning whether Cabra had signed a new deal with Melbourne. But it went beyond the head and the neck, to the fullback with a very dubious history punching players while they were held in tackles
The funniest was the #16 who couldn't tackle trying to bait the Moorebank 5/8 who then turned tail and ran to the edge when the Props gave a bit of lip back to him

Latest posts