What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Opposite performance to last week but thankfully opposite result. Looks like at 16-0 they thought the job was done.

Putting my positivity hat on 3 of their 2 tries came from errors and one a forward pass. We also bombed at least 2 tries.

Flash had a stinker in the first half.

Anyways, onwards to next week probably without JWH

3 Cords
2 Latrell
1 Fergo

horrie hastings

First Grade
Disagree about Gordon having a stinker in the first half, he had a great match considering he has been out for 6 weeks, the only blunder I can think of was bombing a certain try from the Latrell kick.

3- Gordon
2- Fergo
1- Aubbo or Latrell or Cords. Both Latrell and Cords also had a try bombing moment.

Valheru

Coach
Really? He dropped the ball to gift them possession for either their 1st or 2nd try, forget which one and he looked tentative all half. He did improve in the 2nd and it was his first game back and he has been immense all year.

3. Cords
2. Fergo
1. Latrell

Does anyone think they were already thinking about Cronulla at 16nil? Maybe it was a lack of respect for the opposition given our record against them. And how sh1t are we when Cordner leaves the field? We just can't put 80 minutes together this year. On the plus side, Fergo has been pretty good for a few weeks and looks dangerous when a kick is on. It's like the club has finally worked out what to do with him or maybe a change in attitude after Origin criticism. Bogey team awaits.

Really? He dropped the ball to gift them possession for either their 1st or 2nd try, forget which one and he looked tentative all half. He did improve in the 2nd and it was his first game back and he has been immense all year.

He looked uncomfortable under every high ball too but as Horrie mentioned, it was his first game in a while. The wind made things tricky too I guess.

Tommy Smith

Referee
3. Fergo. He's in great form.
2. Latrell. Also very consistent.
1. Cords. Excellent runs punching holes.

Re: Cordner how frustrating is it to watch him streaking down field with a 3-on-1 situation against the fullback?

He has no idea how to execute as I've never seen him pick out the inside or outside man.

Dear me. Great player but that's one skill he can't get right.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Didn't see him drop the ball for the Tigers to score, Jake Friend spilled the kick off that gifted the Tigers possession for their first try, not sure what happened in the lead up for the Tigers try on half time though.
It was Gordon's cool head that lead to the Roosters match winning try with the pass to Latrell.

horrie hastings

First Grade
He looked uncomfortable under every high ball too but as Horrie mentioned, it was his first game in a while. The wind made things tricky too I guess.

Yes he did look a bit uncomfortable under the high ball but he didn't spill one [ well maybe he did one but the ref missed that one ;) ] .Tedesco also looked a bit shaky under the high ball too, as you say it think it was more the wind making it tricky.

Tommy Smith

Referee
He dropped a bomb which led to a drop out and the Tigers try right on half time.

Coupled with his fumbling of the try that Latrell put on a plate for him and that was two crucial errors.

But it was his first game back and he was super reliable pre injury so he can be afforded one dodgy game.

horrie hastings

First Grade
He dropped a bomb which led to a drop out and the Tigers try right on half time.

Coupled with his fumbling of the try that Latrell put on a plate for him and that was two crucial errors.

But it was his first game back and he was super reliable pre injury so he can be afforded one dodgy game.

Ok, I don't remember or had forgotten him dropping the bomb which led to the drop out which lead to the Tiges try right on half time. Yes do agree he should have scored off the Latrell kick though, but not to much damage was done from that because Guerra scored just after it. I also think he showed a cool head in the Roosters match winning try when it looked like they were going to bomb another try like the 2 they had bombed a few minutes earlier. He may have been a bit rusty but I saw more positives than negatives from him during the game.

3 points: Boyd Cordner.
2 points: Latrell Mitchell
1 point: Blake Ferguson.

The turning point was the head clash between Cordner and JWH. We lost them both to a HIA at the 27 minute mark, and that is when the defence around the ruck started getting scrappy.

Yes Cordner bombed a certain try by passing too late, but what didn't help was everyone telling him to pass on the inside (Keary was very noticeably gesticulating at him to do so) and all the Tigers players picked up on it - in fact Keary had slowed down as a consequence of his call.

Additionally, we still have players not trusting their team mates in defence. Case in point. In the lead up to Tedesco's try, Pearce was following the ball carrier (i.e. Naiqama) across the field towards the western touchline, with the only player outside Naiqama being his winger. Pearce had both Aubusson and Ferguson outside him, as such when Pearce kept sliding, that is where the hole opened that Naiqama put Tedesco through top score. Pearce should have told Aubo to take him and held his position.

Finally, as much as I like Jake Friend, in attack he had a poor game I thought. He put in a good grubber in the first half that forced a drop out. Thing is in the second half he tried to do it 5 times on tackle 5, when we were deep on the attack with the halves calling for the ball, yet he went himself with an attempted grubber which never found the in goal. The Tigers were awake for it, whilst none of our guys bar Friend seemed to know it was coming as there was no chase. Also his service from dummy half in the second half was poor for a good chunk of it. He kept picking up the ball, taking a step or two, before passing it. This put the receiver under more pressure than he should have. It was noticeable when Watson came on he slotted into dummy half for a minute or two and the service was much crisper, when Friend resumed the role he was much better from then till the end of the game.

Latest posts