What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

See in the Telecrap today:
SPORTS CONFIDENTIAL: South Sydney have not tried to shop Robbie Farah, but Canterbury have floated the idea of luring the No.9 in a swap deal for one of their big-name stars

Funny if it was a case of Woods to Dogs to play with his mate Klemmer but it was Klemmer that the Dogs were trying to offload.

Tiger05

First Grade
Interesting news on Robbie. Canterbury could probably use him.

The thing is if that comes from the Telecrap it's likely to have come from their get on the piss and create a story for tomorrow meeting.

Well not a Tiger yet but a good read anyway.

With a name like Tyson Gamble, you'd expect he would go all in with a pair of kings – but holding out for a better hand will see the 21-year-old head to Sydney next season truly believing that he is ready to make it in the NRL.

After missing last week's 6-4 loss to the Hunters in Port Moresby due to suspension, Gamble returns at five-eighth for Redcliffe in Sunday’s preliminary final against the Sunshine Coast Falcons with the winner to progress to the Intrust Super Cup grand final next Sunday at Suncorp Stadium.

It will be the first Intrust Super Cup final for Gamble who will join the Wests Tigers in October on a two-year deal; three years after knocking back an offer to play Under 20s for Cronulla; hitting pause on a childhood dream he hoped he would one day again get to hit play on.

Speaking from inside a ceiling doing the type of work all third-year electrical apprentices are required to do, Gamble admitted his first instinct was to accept the invitation to join the Sharks – but now realises how much better prepared he is to take the next step in his career after a full season in the top grade with Redcliffe.

“The move to Sydney was pretty daunting, moving away from my family so young; and in the end I'm glad I did make that decision, because it's all worked out really well for me,” Gamble said.

“It had a lot to do with work and starting my electrical apprenticeship, but I also thought the 20s comp probably wasn't as good as staying up here and trying to play Intrust Super Cup which I had a chance to do.

“My first instinct definitely was to accept it and go to Sydney, but I spoke with my parents and ‘Crush’ [Redcliffe football operations manager Grant Cleal] and ‘Moggy’ [Redcliffe coach Adam Mogg] and made me realise that I was probably better off staying.

“I had a lot of mates that were playing 20s at the time, so I just thought it was better for me personally to stay at Redcliffe.

“I was 18 when they first asked me to move down and I’m 21 now. I’m a third-year apprentice, so I’ve lived my life a little bit and (I am) ready for the next step in my footy career.

“I'm really looking forward to it. It's not something that every footy player can say they've done, so I've got to take the opportunity with two hands and just run with it.”

Praising the work ethic Gamble has displayed throughout his time at the club to get him into this position, Cleal said he was delighted he could make the full progression through the Dolphins grades before moving to Sydney.

“The NYC contract from Cronulla was a bit of a stumbling block for us because we could see the kid was going to be a handy Intrust Super Cup player and we explained the plan for him and the benefits of our competition over what was going with the NYC,” Cleal said.

“When that came along, his mum and dad were excited and so was Tyson, but we had a plan for him that we probably hadn't communicated to him.

“We had been fast-tracking him through the junior rep teams and as an 18-year-old, he was playing Under 20s for us and the following year he moved into the BRL.

“He handled each step along the way and that was what we'd hoped with our plan for him.

“If you could draw a diagram of Tyson's transition from junior player into an NRL-contracted player, that would be the test pattern for clubs and their development.

“And I know he'll handle the jump because all the years he played up a grade coming through he always handled the jumps well and made it look easy.”
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2017/09/14/tyson_s_gamble_pays_.html

Tiger Ted

Bench
Hopefully he can put pressure on Brooks
Somebody ought to put pressure on the b grade impostor Brooks.His had it to easy thus far whereby his continued to hold down a 1st grade spot over the last 4 yrs by continuing to display a total lack of ability to manage

Tiger Ted

Bench
.....,a team around the park.

If Brooks doesn't finally aim up in '18 & consequently we aren't able to find a competent game manager within our ranks we will have Buckleys of playing finals footy !!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
Said this a million times but I'll say it again, Brooks has been playing like shit for so long because he's always been playing alongside an inexperienced half and a beaten pack.

Next year he will have neither, Reynolds is not the type of half to interfere with Brooks' organisation + our pack will cut it with the best next year. I'm confident we will see a more mature and composed Brooks next year and once we get on a role his confidence will skyrocket brining him back to his best.

And if he doesn't...well we have a rookie pushing for a spot and a club legend who can slot straight in.

Vic Mackey

Referee
From my limited viewings of Gamble and from speaking to a couple of people who watch QLD Cup he is very much a running half. He doesn't appear to be the type of guy who organises a team. I don't think he'll put pressure on Brooks, moreso Reynolds. Benji would be more likely to put pressure on Luke.

However the common theme seems to be the thought that he can, and will, handle first grade.

I wonder if he might be an option at center or even bench utility/hooker?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL grand final 2017: North Queensland Cowboys tyro Te Maire Martin to face Melbourne Storm after knocking them back twice
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
September 24 2017 - 6:00PM

Te Maire Martin has knocked back Melbourne. Twice.

The first time was when he was still at Wests Tigers, unable to crack it for an NRL game because he was behind Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses in the pecking order. When the joint-venture club baulked at triggering an option in its favour - $110,000 seemed too much at the time - Martin was given the chance to leave. His options were St George Illawarra, where his idol was playing, Melbourne, North Queensland and Penrith. Believing his best chance of getting a first grade game was at the foot of the mountains, he headed west.

"I had real close talks with my manager about what was best for me and who I could learn from," Martin said.

"It was between Melbourne, the Cowboys and Penrith. At the time it seemed a clearer path to go to Penrith. That's how it happened, but I ended up at Cowboys and I'm stoked I came up."

The Cowboys finally got their man, but not before the Storm had another dip. Martin had fallen out of favour at the Panthers and the southerners were after a replacement for the departing Cooper Cronk.

However, the chance to learn from Johnathan Thurston resulted in him heading to Townsville instead of being on the other side in Sunday's grand final.

"It was just the thought of Johnathan Thurston being here. I'm still in the early stages of my career and who better to learn off than the best player in the world," Martin said.

"That's what it came down to."

The plan was to learn from Thurston. Within a week of his arrival, he was replacing him.

"I was just going to come up here, learn off JT and play Q Cup," he said.

"I was playing reserve grade anyway, so it was going to be playing reserve grade but learning off the best player in the world every week at training. I was just trying to be a sponge. It's unfortunate he got injured and that opened up a window for myself.

"The week I came up Greenie (Cowboys coach Paul Green) sat me down and said 'we won't play you this week, we'll let you go through the game plan and we'll play you next week.'

"That's how it worked out."

The move was a timely one. Thurston's season-ending injury occurred within a week of Martin's arrival. He has subsequently played a dozen games for the Cowboys en route to the unlikeliest of grand final appearances.

"It's crazy to think I was playing reserve grade not so long ago," he said.

"I got an opportunity to come back here and I haven't looked back. It's been the best time of my life."

Replacing arguably the greatest player the game has seen is no small feat. But even Thurston has been impressed with how seamlessly the 21 year old has fitted into the side.

"He's been great since he arrived at our club," Thurston said.

"He's not overplaying his hand, he's been doing his job and that's what we expect of anyone who pulls on the Cowboys jersey."

The Junior Kiwis star showed a glimpse of his potential when he scored the opening try against the Roosters on Saturday night. Showing all the class of the man he replaced, Martin dummied, sliced through the gap and stepped the fullback to put his team in front.

"It all went really fast, I can't really explain how it went.," he said.

"I blinked and was at the tryline. I think the defence was worried about the boys I had outside me, I had some x-factor out there with Coops (Gavin Cooper) and Justin O'Neill and Antonio Winterstein they were worried about.

"That left me a gaping hole I had to take."

Before he had even played a first-grade game, Martin was offered a train-on spot with the Kiwis on a tour to England. He may well get a chance to cap a grand final appearance with New Zealand selection after Kieran Foran pulled out of the World Cup.

"If it happens I'd be stoked, but I'm more worried about the Cowboys jersey at the moment," he said.

"I'll focus on the Cowboys and if I do a good enough job that help out my chances of getting there."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...knocking-them-back-twice-20170924-gynpzh.html

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Well done to Liam. A good clubman, champion bloke and nowhere near as dumb as he tried to let on.

FORMER WESTS TIGERS FORWARD LIAM FULTON COACHES CAMPELLTOWN CITY TO HISTORIC GROUP 6 TITLE

LIAM Fulton admits he’s “no super coach”, but the former Wests Tigers forward did a sterling job to lead the Campbelltown City Kangaroos to their first Group 6 title in 33 years this season.

Just two years after being beaten by 100 points, Campbelltown City capped off one of league’s most remarkable turnarounds to beat favourites Thirlmere in last weekend’s decider.

The 22-point triumph was the dream introduction to first grade coaching for Fulton, but he has revealed he received plenty of influential support along the way.

20e42f3e680eaa7ab1e2dc7d835cba2e

Campbelltown City Kangaroos win the Group 6 first grade premiership against Thirlmere Roosters
“Any time I had any coaching questions I called Todd Payten,” Fulton grinned about his former Tigers teammate, who is now an assistant coach at North Queensland under Paul Green.

“I would have spoken to him every single week and he was always happy to chat and go over some game plans.

“He told me some plays and a lot of the time it worked.

“I was quite shocked myself in some of the set pieces that worked, but the players were good enough to put them on.”

f55c04e9aad47b02e33f6f72cd4941e9

2005 premiership winner Liam Fulton inspired Campbelltown City to a drought breaking title
A week has passed since Campbelltown City’s premiership, but the shock hasn’t worn off for Fulton.

“I still don’t know how we did it — I’m shocked,” he said.

“Most of the players hadn’t played many finals before and even the guys we purchased hadn’t had too much success in the competition either.

“I think our front-rower Aaron Sweeney was the only won who had won a Group 6 comp.

“But we turned up to play, worked hard and got the job done.

4982038da1db8c9470a6ec05c24f0071

The victory was 33-years in waiting for the Kangaroos
“I really enjoyed it. I got brushed by Parra as a junior and Wests gave me a start out there, so it was just good to give back to the community.

“The best they had finished in the last 10 years was fifth, so you could imagine there were a lot of happy people around.”

As for coaching Campbelltown City again next season, Fulton said: “I’m not sure yet, we’ll see what happens.”

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Josh Addo-Carr's blistering form no surprise to those who watched him grow

Joe Gorman

Wednesday 27 September 2017 04.00 AEST
Last modified on Wednesday 27 September 2017 09.28 AEST

He has bamboozled opposition defences, impressed the experts and inspired supporters across the competition. For the man they call “the Fox”, Josh Addo-Carr, 2017 has been an almost perfect season. He scored the winning try in his first home game for Melbourne Storm against Brisbane Broncos three rounds into the season. A week later, he scored a long range wonder try against his old club, Wests Tigers. And in the preliminary final last Friday night, he scored the Storm’s first try to set up a 30-0 victory over the Broncos. This weekend, he could be the player to decide the NRL grand final.

Signed by Melbourne from the Tigers, where he struggled for game time last season, this year Addo-Carr has played all 26 games for the Storm and crossed over for 21 tries. Remarkable though his breakthrough season has been, for those who have watched his him play from a young age, it comes as no surprise.

The 22-year-old flyer is the product of two Indigenous clubs from Sydney: La Perouse Panthers, where he played junior footy, and the Redfern All Blacks, who he helped win the NSW Koori Knockout in 2015 and 2016. Speaking at Queensland’s Murri Carnival last weekend, Redfern All Blacks coach and NRL legend Dean Widders said Addo-Carr is “one of the best wingers in the competition”. One of his junior coaches at La Perouse, Clint Cooke, said “every time I see him on the field it gives me a massive smile”. And ABC Indigenous affairs editor Stan Grant, who has watched Addo-Carr since his junior days in South Sydney, believes he has “taken the confidence of playing in the Koori Knockout into the NRL”.

Founded in 1971, the Koori Knockout is the largest Indigenous rugby league tournament in the country. Two years ago in Dubbo, when Addo-Carr was an unknown rookie with the Wests Tigers, he was a standout player in Redfern’s famous golden point win over the Newcastle All Blacks. Redfern were trailing by eight points with just a few minutes remaining when Addo-Carr changed the game. First, he crossed over for a magnificent try to bring Redfern within two points. Then, in the dying moments, he came in off his wing, stole the ball from a Newcastle player and earned a penalty.

Shane Nolan-Carr converted the resulting penalty kick from the halfway line to send the game into extra-time. From there another NRL star, Jonathan Wright, scored in the corner to win the game for Redfern. The incredible grand final, as NITV later reported, was “the best of all time at the Knockout”.

Widders believes Addo-Carr’s never-say-die performance in that grand final proved he had what it takes to make it in the NRL. “He hadn’t played first grade when he came and played for us up in Dubbo,” explained Widders. “So he was still a bit of an unknown. He came up with some massive plays. He scored a try on the left side, and then he came up with probably the play of the century when he stole the ball with only a minute to go. That’s a winger stealing one to win the game.

“I thought, ‘This kid’s got the toughness and a hunger and a passion that not many people do.’ Most wingers would be standing there, game over, just catching their breath. He was in there still fighting for that win. That tells you he’s just got something about him, and it’s coming through now [in the NRL].

“It was the first time he’d been to a final at Knockout, so to learn how to get through that mental battle, to fight through it and come out the other side, that puts you in a good place for first grade where you have to do that every weekend.”
Guardian Australia sport newsletter: subscribe by email
Read more

La Perouse junior coach Clint Cooke, who coached Addo-Carr in the Under-14s, said “Foxy” has always been a great team player. “He was always the life of the party, a funny kid who was always happy and smiling,” remembers Cooke. “I tried to watch him play in the Under-20s with the [Cronulla] Sharks, and I’ve watched every Knockout game he played. He’s definitely one of the stars. He’s the kind of young man that would do anything for his community and for his team-mates, which I’ve seen through the Knockout and when he’s playing in the NRL.

“La Perouse and Redfern have formed quite a strong bond, in my opinion – both from Sydney and both predominately Aboriginal communities. We both support each other. Whenever La Pa plays Knockout, if we get knocked out we’re always cheering on the people we know in the Redfern community.”

The Koori Knockout is held over the October long weekend, meaning that every year it clashes with the NRL grand final. That doesn’t stop players and supporters flocking to the Knockout, however. In 2014, former South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt missed the Rabbitohs’ NRL grand final celebrations to play Knockout for the Redfern All Blacks in Raymond Terrace. And every year many NRL players ignore the advice of their clubs to return and play for their mob.

“Some managers don’t like us playing in the tournament,” Addo-Carr told Guardian Australia last year, “but it’s very important and we won’t back down on it.
Stan Grant, whose son Dylan plays for the Redfern All Blacks, said the Knockout is “a huge cultural event”.
“I think the football reflects that,” said Grant. “The football that is played at the Knockout is an expression of who we are – our culture, our sensibilities. The freedom that people play with is something that you don’t get in a structured club environment, and I think for a lot of NRL scouts, they see players with raw talent that they can develop.

“Josh is a great example. Here’s someone who has had to overcome obstacles, who has had some highs and lows in his career and then goes back to that football that he knows, in the community that he’s from, and shines. “This time last year he was playing for the Redfern All Blacks. This year he’s playing in the grand final for Melbourne. But the thing is, he’s playing the same football for Melbourne. This shows the brilliance of Craig Bellamy’s coaching. Josh is playing the football that he played at the Knockout. It’s exuberant, he’s free to back himself… I think that’s been really instrumental in his success.”

Widders confirmed that Addo-Carr would have played for the Redfern All Blacks this weekend had the Storm not qualified for the NRL grand final. As the RAB prepare to host the Knockout this weekend, they will be following one of their own on the biggest stage of all. “He said he’s definitely playing [for Redfern All Blacks] if he’s not in the [NRL] grand final,” said Widders. “But everyone wants him in that [NRL] grand final. He deserves it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...orm-no-surprise-to-those-who-watched-him-grow

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Jamal Idris retires from NRL aged only 27
Published: October 19 2017 - 8:28PM

Injury-hit NRL player Jamal Idris has announced his retirement from rugby league aged just 27.

Idris took a break from the NRL in 2016 before resuming his career this year on a one-season deal with the Wests Tigers.

He played only five games for the Tigers before being ruled out for the season with a ruptured ACL suffered at training.

On Thursday evening, Idris took to Instagram to announce the end of his career.

"Thank you all for sharing this game and journey with me unfortunately due to injury it's ended my time at 27 in this great game," he wrote.

"The game has given me so much, more than anything it has given me character a way to express myself and the ability to change the lives of others, but as my brother once told me 'football is a very small part of your life and you will not finish growing when football stops, if anything that is when life will truly begin for you'.

"I just want to thank everyone that has stood by me through the good times and the bad throughout my amazing time in the nrl, so thank you to my amazing family my awesome friends and the truly amazing fans that make the game what it is ... onto the next chapter where ever that may be."

Idris played a total of 136 NRL games from 2008. He had four seasons with Canterbury, before two-year stints at Gold Coast and Penrith and his 12 months with the Tigers.

Idris played one State of Origin match in 2010 for NSW and represented Australia the following year in one Test.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...es-from-nrl-aged-only-27-20171019-gz4jxy.html

super_coach

First Grade
Jamal Idris retires from NRL aged only 27
Published: October 19 2017 - 8:28PM

Injury-hit NRL player Jamal Idris has announced his retirement from rugby league aged just 27.

Idris took a break from the NRL in 2016 before resuming his career this year on a one-season deal with the Wests Tigers.

He played only five games for the Tigers before being ruled out for the season with a ruptured ACL suffered at training.

On Thursday evening, Idris took to Instagram to announce the end of his career.

"Thank you all for sharing this game and journey with me unfortunately due to injury it's ended my time at 27 in this great game," he wrote.

"The game has given me so much, more than anything it has given me character a way to express myself and the ability to change the lives of others, but as my brother once told me 'football is a very small part of your life and you will not finish growing when football stops, if anything that is when life will truly begin for you'.

"I just want to thank everyone that has stood by me through the good times and the bad throughout my amazing time in the nrl, so thank you to my amazing family my awesome friends and the truly amazing fans that make the game what it is ... onto the next chapter where ever that may be."

Idris played a total of 136 NRL games from 2008. He had four seasons with Canterbury, before two-year stints at Gold Coast and Penrith and his 12 months with the Tigers.

Idris played one State of Origin match in 2010 for NSW and represented Australia the following year in one Test.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...es-from-nrl-aged-only-27-20171019-gz4jxy.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I had high hopes when we signed him, but in retrospect it seems like a typical (old) Tigers signing, ala Jason Cayless - sign someone injury ravaged, or out of form, and hope for a miracle.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I had high hopes when we signed him, but in retrospect it seems like a typical (old) Tigers signing, ala Jason Cayless - sign someone injury ravaged, or out of form, and hope for a miracle.

Matt Ballin and Jamal Idris easily were the most unlucky signings by JT. If they had both been injury free who knows what could have happened...

Latest posts