What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? G.C. bears for 2017 ??

Barkley

Bench
I like the Bears angle here....they are desperate to get back into the comp and they know the NRL are too narrow minded for expansion so they are targeting an NRL owned club. Pretty clever, I won't work but you have to admire their tenacity.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Will they even be allowed to use the Bears logo? They weren't allowed to use the Dolphins mascot because of the Sunshine Coast. Will Burleigh be more accommodating?
I guess they could try and engage them as a feeder club. Burleigh are technically using the North Sydney logo so that could also be a factor.

They should buy the licence, merge with Burleigh and use their own (North Sydney) old logo with the Burleigh Bears name to.give it a genuine local feel

Sydney11–17°C

campaign.json
template

Titans
The Bears ready to take over Gold Coast Titans — and could play footy at North Sydney Oval
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
August 24, 2017 8:58pm
Subscriber only
THE Bears could play two historic matches at North Sydney Oval next year — one possibly against old foes Manly — if successful in buying the Gold Coast Titans.

The NRL is expected to seek expressions of interest in the sale of Gold Coast as early as next week.

The Bears are ready to pounce and they may bring NRL footy back to North Sydney Oval sooner than you think.

Gold Coast will be kicked out of their home ground at Robina, Cbus Super Stadium, for rounds three to six next season due to the Commonwealth Games.

That equates to two home matches.

FANS SURVEY: Bring back suburban footy

COACHES: Toovey joins Titans race

87b909fb0360f382dc849744924c3c08

North Sydney Oval could host a classic rivalry again.
If they become the successful bidder, the Gold Coast Bears could relocate those two home games to North Sydney Oval.

And the Bears would likely ask the NRL to play a nostalgic match against Manly at Bear Park.

Should the Bears be trumped, Gold Coast would open talks with the Queensland Government about taking those two games to regional centres.

Gold Coast, who are under pressure after sacking coach Neil Henry this week, are ready to be put up for sale.

The Bears believe they have prepared a convincing bid which they are ready to submit.

They would take one or two games to their spiritual home, North Sydney Oval, each season.

Titans director and businessman Darryl Kelly is also pursuing the Gold Coast licence, while there is reportedly a third consortium showing considerable interest.

Manly can secure finals spot
The NRL won’t place a financial figure on the club. Consortiums will be asked how they can run and sustain the financially troubled club long-term.

It would take around $10 million to ensure sustained viability.

Norths believe there are 750,000 to one million fans living on Sydney’s north shore and the NSW central coast who would instantly be Gold Coast Bears fans.

Research shows these fans are desperate to reintegrate into a top-flight rugby league club. The Bears’ bid has the necessary finances, history and support.

937ef10ad412307b796d33a48c77e084

The Bears believe they are well placed to take over the Gold Coast franchise.
Kelly, a self-made property tycoon, first saved the Titans five years ago by personally investing $5 million.

There would be a concern about changing Gold Coast’s brand again but the red and black of the Bears carries historical clout.

Gold Coast have previously been known as the Seagulls, Giants, Gladiators and Chargers.

The Bears claim to have the cash and resources to make Gold Coast work.

NRL officials hope to have chosen the winning consortium by October 31.

Pommy

Coach
750,000 to one million?

I think they mean 75,000-100,000.

Sydney has a population of what 4.5 million? Lol

adamkungl

Immortal
750,000 to one million?

I think they mean 75,000-100,000.

Sydney has a population of what 4.5 million? Lol

The North Sydney region has 600,000 odd population based on LGAs of North Sydney, Mosman, Lane Cove, Ryde, Hunter's Hill, Willougby, Kuringai, Hornsby. source wikipedia.

Central Coast has 300,000.

If it wasn't for the perceived 'congestion' of Sydney region teams already, the Central Coast could easily support a team based on population comparable to other regional teams. Northern Eagles was the right idea, if only the 2 clubs holding it up didn't despise each other.

Pommy

Coach
The North Sydney region has 600,000 odd population based on LGAs of North Sydney, Mosman, Lane Cove, Ryde, Hunter's Hill, Willougby, Kuringai, Hornsby. source wikipedia.

If it wasn't for the perceived 'congestion' of Sydney region teams already, the Central Coast could easily support a team based on population comparable to other regional teams. Northern Eagles was the right idea, if only the 2 clubs holding it up didn't despise each other.

Norths believe there are 750,000 to one million fans living on Sydney’s north shore and the NSW central coast who would instantly be Gold Coast Bears fans.

No matter what the population is they are not going to instantly become Bears fans.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I still think its a shame we didnt get the North Sydney Tigers (blood orange-black) and the Wests Panthers (Magpies jersey).

A StGeorge-Illawarra style splitt between northern sydney and CC would have been a great set up (and we wouldnt have the weird geographic spread of WTs to deal with)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sydney11–17°C

campaign.json
template

Titans
The Bears ready to take over Gold Coast Titans — and could play footy at North Sydney Oval
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
August 24, 2017 8:58pm
Subscriber only
THE Bears could play two historic matches at North Sydney Oval next year — one possibly against old foes Manly — if successful in buying the Gold Coast Titans.

The NRL is expected to seek expressions of interest in the sale of Gold Coast as early as next week.

The Bears are ready to pounce and they may bring NRL footy back to North Sydney Oval sooner than you think.

Gold Coast will be kicked out of their home ground at Robina, Cbus Super Stadium, for rounds three to six next season due to the Commonwealth Games.

That equates to two home matches.

FANS SURVEY: Bring back suburban footy

COACHES: Toovey joins Titans race

87b909fb0360f382dc849744924c3c08

North Sydney Oval could host a classic rivalry again.
If they become the successful bidder, the Gold Coast Bears could relocate those two home games to North Sydney Oval.

And the Bears would likely ask the NRL to play a nostalgic match against Manly at Bear Park.

Should the Bears be trumped, Gold Coast would open talks with the Queensland Government about taking those two games to regional centres.

Gold Coast, who are under pressure after sacking coach Neil Henry this week, are ready to be put up for sale.

The Bears believe they have prepared a convincing bid which they are ready to submit.

They would take one or two games to their spiritual home, North Sydney Oval, each season.

Titans director and businessman Darryl Kelly is also pursuing the Gold Coast licence, while there is reportedly a third consortium showing considerable interest.

Manly can secure finals spot
The NRL won’t place a financial figure on the club. Consortiums will be asked how they can run and sustain the financially troubled club long-term.

It would take around $10 million to ensure sustained viability.

Research shows these fans are desperate to reintegrate into a top-flight rugby league club. The Bears’ bid has the necessary finances, history and support.

937ef10ad412307b796d33a48c77e084

The Bears believe they are well placed to take over the Gold Coast franchise.
Kelly, a self-made property tycoon, first saved the Titans five years ago by personally investing $5 million.

There would be a concern about changing Gold Coast’s brand again but the red and black of the Bears carries historical clout.

Gold Coast have previously been known as the Seagulls, Giants, Gladiators and Chargers.

The Bears claim to have the cash and resources to make Gold Coast work.

NRL officials hope to have chosen the winning consortium by October 31.

Their pitch is that they will take games away from the GC? Where do we sign....

adamkungl

Immortal
No matter what the population is they are not going to instantly become Bears fans.

Well yes assuming an entire population is going to do anything is flimsy at the best of times.

I still think its a shame we didnt get the North Sydney Tigers (blood orange-black) and the Wests Panthers (Magpies jersey).

A StGeorge-Illawarra style splitt between northern sydney and CC would have been a great set up (and we wouldnt have the weird geographic spread of WTs to deal with)

Probably would have made more sense in hindsight. The Balmain-Campbeltown split doesnt really work too cohesively.

With the current situation, I think there's a lot of merit in in Saints focusing more on Wollongong, Tigers putting more into Campbeltown, and Manly into Gosford.

If Bears do buy into the Titans it's interesting to note that they are effectively abandoning the Central Coast once and for all.

Pommy

Coach
They should probably arrange to play away games v Sydney teams at NSO rather than take home games away from GC

What teams are likely to give up a home game to play in north Sydney?
I'm not saying I don't agree with the sentiment just that it's not likely to happen.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Can someone from the Nrl tell the bears to f*@k off. The Gold Coast need to stay as the Gold Coast titans. Why the hell would a qld team want a nsw owner? Why would the nrl want more 10k games in Sydney at a oval field? The bears don't have the support that they want everyone to think. The Roosters are taking over the central coast more and more. Manly should increase there footprint and share the central Coast border with the roosters. I feel the only chance north Sydney have now is if they started a team in Adelaide. They can still play a few games at the north Sydney OVAL.

I just wish someone from the Nrl would tell them.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Can someone from the Nrl tell the bears to f*@k off. The Gold Coast need to stay as the Gold Coast titans. Why the hell would a qld team want a nsw owner? Why would the nrl want more 10k games in Sydney at a oval field? The bears don't have the support that they want everyone to think. The Roosters are taking over the central coast more and more. Manly should increase there footprint and share the central Coast border with the roosters. I feel the only chance north Sydney have now is if they started a team in Adelaide. They can still play a few games at the north Sydney OVAL.

I just wish someone from the Nrl would tell them.

I still think the Titans should be rebranded as "South Queensland Titans" (similar to the Warriors going fron Auckland to New Zealand)...

Any games they take away from the GC should go to places like Logan, Tawoomba, Ipswitch, etc.

NOT F*CKING SYDNEY!!!!!!!!!

siv

First Grade
I still think the Titans should be rebranded as "South Queensland Titans" (similar to the Warriors going fron Auckland to New Zealand)...

Any games they take away from the GC should go to places like Logan, Tawoomba, Ipswitch, etc.

NOT F*CKING SYDNEY!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you like the idea of the Ipswich Jets playing out of Henson Park

Well yes assuming an entire population is going to do anything is flimsy at the best of times.

Probably would have made more sense in hindsight. The Balmain-Campbeltown split doesnt really work too cohesively.

With the current situation, I think there's a lot of merit in in Saints focusing more on Wollongong, Tigers putting more into Campbeltown, and Manly into Gosford.

If Bears do buy into the Titans it's interesting to note that they are effectively abandoning the Central Coast once and for all.

Aren't your Roosters looking like the team that will take on central coast? Not necessarily a full time move but given the junior effort they're putting in it makes more sense than Manly.

Latest posts