What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 2017

Storm13

Juniors
I don't trust the language used when Horner discusses the RB drivers. It feels like Vettel & Webber all over again.

Max should get his arse kicked. Vettel should have has his kicked after multi 2-1
When Ric got back to the garage he had words at Marko while he was still following the race. Would've like to of been a fly on the wall for that one.

I think Ric's harsh words against his team mate do remind me of Webber vs Vettel. Be interesting if its coming from the same frustration.

Life's Good

Coach
Therein lies the difference. Also, every other team can see how good Ricciardo is.

Next year will be the telling one as it's the last of Danny's at Red Bull in his current contract.

Ferrari are expected to move on Raikkonen and hand his seat to Ricciardo.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Ricciardo & Verstappen team up at Ferrari in the coming years. Ricciardo takes Raikkonen's seat with Verstappen to follow if Vettel heads to Mercedes once his contract is up in 3 years.

Life's Good

Coach
2 days of testing has just wrapped up in Hungary prior to the summer shutdown. A couple of big stories centre around Robert Kubica(Renault) & Lando Norris(McLaren)

Kubica is attempting to return to F1 from a 7 year gap after a crash in an off season rally event that partially severed his arm. He ended up as quick as regular team driver Jolyon Palmer and is likely to come into calculations for a full time return drive in 2018. Massive story if it happens. I hope it does because Kubica was a rare talent easily capable of mixing it with the drivers he competed against from 2006 - 2010.

Lando Norris is a 17 year old karting world champion who was 2nd quickest(Vettel was fastest)at the test despite this being the first time he ever sat in an F1 car! Mightily impressive stuff.

Parra

Referee
A Kubica comeback would be a great story.

In F1 terms I don't get the 'rare talent' assessment that he gets in retrospect. He was up to the task for sure and a GP winner which is rare enough. He seems overrated in retrospect. He left to go rallying when he wasn't offered a ride in a top team. The biggest impact he made in F1 was being relatively unscathed in that massive crash in the Canadian GP.

Kudos to him for getting back even to this point at this stage in his career. Moreso with the terrible injuries he suffered in that rally crash.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade

In F1 terms I don't get the 'rare talent' assessment that he gets in retrospect. He was up to the task for sure and a GP winner which is rare enough. He seems overrated in retrospect. He left to go rallying when he wasn't offered a ride in a top team. The biggest impact he made in F1 was being relatively unscathed in that massive crash in the Canadian GP.

Kudos to him for getting back even to this point at this stage in his career. Moreso with the terrible injuries he suffered in that rally crash.
He never left F1, his rally crash was in F1 off season, if had the top equipment that the leading drivers had, he would of been a world champion, even multiple.

Life's Good

Coach

He was in with a chance of winning the 2008 WDC through a combination of sheer speed and stealth in picking up good results. What cost him was BMW deciding to limit development of the 2008 car and focus on their 2009 car for a full blown tilt at the title. The 2009 car turned out to be a lemon and come the end of the year BMW withdrew from F1.
Kubica then moved across to Renault for 2010 and had a very good season despite not having top machinery. Through 2010 Alonso, no less, was angling for Ferrari to get him to replace Massa which I am certain would have happened if it wasn't for accident.
You've only got read what Hamilton has recently said along with past quotes from Alonso and others to see how highly regarded he is.

Parra

Referee
He never left F1, his rally crash was in F1 off season, if had the top equipment that the leading drivers had, he would of been a world champion, even multiple.

I don't dismiss him as a talent at all - by WDC, even multi - that is the over rating in retrospect that has crept in over the years.

T-Boon

Coach
Now we are in this annoying half season break...Is Magnussen's "suck my balls mate" comment the highlight of the season so far?

Parra

Referee
Well the timing was perfect. I didn't realise what a merkin hulkenburg was until this. What an entitled sook.

Life's Good

Coach
F1 resumes at Spa in Belgium. Easily one of the great racing tracks on earth. Just this week I raced the track in a full on racing simulator(pedals, steering wheel, motion etc.).

The Eau Rouge corner is a majestic sight to behold(I was lucky to be there in 2016)and scene of a ballsy overtake by Webber on Alonso in 2011. Check it out.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well what an intriguing yet largely uneventful race. Ocon and Perez continue to try and kill each other. Red Bull had no right really to be in the top 4 here, but Ricciardo finds a way onto the podium yet again.

Hard to see RB being able to do that at Monza.

Verstappen's car retired for the 6th time in 12 races. If he can't get some reliability, he'd probably even consider moving to Sauber just to get out of his cursed vehicle.

Parra

Referee
Love to see Ricciardo again in the right place to take advantage of an opportunity as soon as it arises. He does this consistently.

Perez is nuts - that move was ridiculous on anyone, let alone a team mate.

Alonso seems to be right out of patience. Those $$$ must make it a bit easy to stomach though.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ballsy pass on Bottas after the SC went in. A lot of trust and aggression in moves like that. I doubt you can pull that off without having the respect of the other drivers.

Perez has lost the plot. Always one of those guys you liked to see do well, but he's off his trolley this year. Although it seems Ocon has about as much respect among the drivers as Maldonado. I wonder if Force India would move Ocon on and bring Alonso in?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can and will lol

Ocon was beside him, Perez knew he was there as he'd just passed him. dumb dumb move

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
McLaren are splitting from Honda and taking on Renaults.

Toro Rosso is set to announce they will be running Honda engines and Red Bull is expected to follow suit, with both TR and RB running Honda engines in 2019.

At that rate, good luck in retaining Ricciardo, Verstappen and Sainz in 2019.

Parra

Referee
Having a factory engine deal is still the right move. Mclaren screwed a lot of that up it seems, TR/RBR may make much better partners. If nothing else they have double the number of cars/ power units to learn from and a lot of lessons learned with Renault to share.

Latest posts