What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

Even so called wealthy comps.like the fumbles, teams like the Lions have been losing millions year after year,end hundreds of millions have been expended on GWS and the Suns.Quite a few AFL clubs need poker machine money to provide the revenue to continue in addition to the grants.
I can assure you the AFL will not be moving any more clubs out of Melbourne.We have already joined 4 clubs to 2,flicked another

There will always be the wealthy and the less so in sport.But having a limit placed on football club spending to be introduced, will help some of these incompetents from themselves.

I could handle the Dragons moving to the Gong,they are getting better crowds there in anycase.

BTW I'm all for NRL clubs to stage games in regionals but more so in Perth and Adelaide.

Ask yourself the hypothetical, if there was no SL,where would the Swans be today in terms of crowds and membership and if the Bears had survived.The Swans had nowhere else to go, they were shagged in South Melbourne,as were the Lions.
And you made a valid point ,Swans making the G/F in 1996,dead set in the midst of the SL war legal cases, in effect invited p*ssed of rl fans to give them a go.It was a lotto win for them,p*ssed off rl fans, making the G/F and all the publicity they got from the Fairfax media and Tv stations.

People hated Murdoch with a vengeance.Now he's given the fumble mob extra money because Smith want solo.
Leaving the north Sydney area vacant ,was one of the dumbest decisions ever foisted in rl.

I saw the deep angst at the SL meeting at the Sharks by fans.Heard some say you can stick it.
The code wasted all its cash on hand to fight the case.Mpney that could have been expended on expansion and or grassroots.Instead ending up in the pockets in some cases of 2nd grade players on 1st grade money.

It's a typical example of rl shooting itself in the foot, and it's hardly a rarity.Yes SL saved the Sharks in hindsight ,but it was a blight on the code, and IMO one in which it still has not fully recovered.

If a team gets into deep financial poo,the NRL has stated they won't be bailing them out.

Genuinely feel you're placing too much emphasis on SL improving the swans fortunes. The 1996 grand final was far more important.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just don't see 9 teams in Sydney as viable over the long term. Perhaps it will just be the dragons to the gong and another team to the coast. But that will still be an improvement.

About player depth. You would be surprised at the amount of players start playing rugby league when their is news of a new club/ franchise being added to the NRL. I know as a former player I was and would be motivated to try my luck in the NRL with a new additional club on the horizon.

Takes 20-30 years to reap the benefits in first grade. That's the real issue. (In a non rugby league area)

Stallion

First Grade
Takes 20-30 years to reap the benefits in first grade. That's the real issue. (In a non rugby league area)

Alot of young footballers seek adventure and opportunity. The promise of another club or two coming on the scene is a genuine incentive to play rugby league and then have a crack at the big time. I was of the same mind when i was a young buck footballer.

taipan

Referee
Genuinely feel you're placing too much emphasis on SL improving the swans fortunes. The 1996 grand final was far more important.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just don't see 9 teams in Sydney as viable over the long term. Perhaps it will just be the dragons to the gong and another team to the coast. But that will still be an improvement.

Losing $20m plus from the ARL coffers( all they had),the complete negative publicity the SL war created, the opportune time the Swans cracked the grand final right in the midst of it, the perceived greed of the players during the SL debacle.IMO it had huge influence on people then ,and the Swans gained a continued benefit by a giant leg up.Their public acceptance and exposure received a huge boost.They were a "good news" story,the SL war simply was not.

Stallion

First Grade
Watching tigers tonight in an empty 1970's ground, would,anyone notice if they moved to Perth?

Stick with the West Coast Pirates! Hopefully one day these dormant administrators may see the obvious benefits of not just one but perhaps 2 expansion clubs playing out of WA. Not holding breath as all I have noticed is a systematic and subversive attack of the game in Sydney with genuine expansion not discussed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a convenient excuse not to have a growth strategy to keep,everyone's focus on already failing heartlands.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I think if player depth is an issue (which it definitely is) a second New Zealand team is must. We can tap into the local talent in a way that just can't be done with Adelaide. It'd take Adelaide 20-30 years to produce local talent.

Fair point on NZ 2 the biggest worry I have with a second NZ team is whether a Wellington or Christchurch can sustain a team or there own. I feel like the Warriors unite NZ in a similar way the Toronto Raptors are Canada's team in the NBA. Maybe a bad example but I just worry if they can sustain support. However they are no bigger risk then Adelaide and as u said there is better junior talent ready to go

Stallion

First Grade
Massively neglected. The development officers are minimal in all inner city areas as the administrators virtually give up on enticing rugby league in the inner city urban areas. Other codes are fielding development officers and visiting schools or being supported by schools (private with RU & AFL ) and RL is sitting on its hands. Thats neglect for the game of rugby league!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If a city with 9 pro teams is "neglected" what does te Nrl need to to to give Sydney the love it needs? And what would you call a city with 0 teams??

Apparently more than 60% of the comps teams, more than 60% of the DO pool and more than the tens of millions the nrl gives nswrl and other Sydney grass roots, more than the GF every year, more than basing nrlhq there etc etc

RoosTah

Juniors
Watching tigers tonight in an empty 1970's ground, would,anyone notice if they moved to Perth?
In a lot of ways moving the Tigers would be the best option.

They're already a club with a fractured identity after all and so if you moved them you'd give them a clear home ground that is conflicted between 2 very different Sydney demographics.

Add to that, the recent poll showing most fans would continue to support their club if they moved anyway and it's a massive win-win because every time they come back to play a side in Sydney they'll still have support.

BuffaloRules

Coach
In a lot of ways moving the Tigers would be the best option.

They're already a club with a fractured identity after all and so if you moved them you'd give them a clear home ground that is conflicted between 2 very different Sydney demographics.

Add to that, the recent poll showing most fans would continue to support their club if they moved anyway and it's a massive win-win because every time they come back to play a side in Sydney they'll still have support.

A recent poll... cant argue with tha logic...

How about the Bears taking over Gold Coast?

I might even call that a win-win-win to make it sound even more impressive... Bears are back in the comp, Gold Coast get some long term financial stability and the Bears Sydney based fans get to watch them in Sydney several times a year...