What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SARL Results

ATOWN2

Juniors
The lack of interest/care shown by the NRL to the majority of states in Australia is a blight on the game

Now that this has made national news I believe it needs to be taken very seriously an an investigation should be undertaken. The issue is not just about resources it's also about the people that work at NRL SA and that starts at the top with the General Manager.
http://www.sarugbyleague.com.au/About/Board-Staff

Travitoh

First Grade
Anyone involved with either the Bulldogs or NRL SA on here?

I have been in the past but that was a while ago.
I do try to follow though and it's always been run pretty amateurish it's seemed.
There are some people involved in the game one way or another who truly want to grow rugby league in SA and it's a shame that their efforts seem to go to waste like they do.
Obviously SA is an AFL state but union does alright and has a reasonably strong club competition so there is no reason why rugby league can't do the same.

ATOWN2

Juniors
So what's happening to the Bulldogs now? Any news from the NRL SA???

Last edited:

ATOWN2

Juniors
So what's happening to the Bulldogs now? Any news from the NRL SA???

2018 Update:

NRL SA has gone from having 5 Clubs down to only 3 Clubs and rugby league is looking dead in SA!!!

The Bulldogs have had their license revoked and as a result the Club isn't able to play but their players have been allowed to play for other clubs but the majority have chosen not to. No senior participation at all anymore.

The Tigers have folded after going from 20+ players last season to only managing to being able to attract 4 players throughout their entire pre-season training sessions. As a result their coach/club scrapped the club- the loss of the Bulldogs certainly played a role. They will still have a couple of junior teams but no senior participation.

Rugby league in Adelaide is screwed. There are now only 3 Senior Teams (Roosters, Eels & Warriors). A 9's tournament was held yesterday featuring 4 teams (2 Roosters, Eels, Warriors). There has been a lot of promising developments appearing off the field (SOO announcement, NRL games being held in Adelaide, Bronco's luncheon) but on the field the game is in disarray. On the field the game is losing people in droves.

Travitoh

First Grade
2018 Update:

NRL SA has gone from having 5 Clubs down to only 3 Clubs and rugby league is looking dead in SA!!!

The Bulldogs have had their license revoked and as a result the Club isn't able to play but their players have been allowed to play for other clubs but the majority have chosen not to. No senior participation at all anymore.

The Tigers have folded after going from 20+ players last season to only managing to being able to attract 4 players throughout their entire pre-season training sessions. As a result their coach/club scrapped the club- the loss of the Bulldogs certainly played a role. They will still have a couple of junior teams but no senior participation.

Rugby league in Adelaide is screwed. There are now only 3 Senior Teams (Roosters, Eels & Warriors). A 9's tournament was held yesterday featuring 4 teams (2 Roosters, Eels, Warriors). There has been a lot of promising developments appearing off the field (SOO announcement, NRL games being held in Adelaide, Bronco's luncheon) but on the field the game is in disarray. On the field the game is losing people in droves.

Don't be fooled by the government and Adelaide Oval bringing the game to Adelaide, SARL are incompetent and have been for years.
It's a shame too because there are some good people putting their heart and soul into trying to develop interest here but are recieving very little support from higher up. The SARL itself has done very little to promote RL in SA and it's the players who take the field every week who are keeping the game alive in SA.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Don't be fooled by the government and Adelaide Oval bringing the game to Adelaide, SARL are incompetent and have been for years.
It's a shame too because there are some good people putting their heart and soul into trying to develop interest here but are recieving very little support from higher up. The SARL itself has done very little to promote RL in SA and it's the players who take the field every week who are keeping the game alive in SA.

100%.

8 teams in the Adelaide metro comp in 2012. 3 Teams in 2018. SARL have completely failed in their responsibility to grow the game. If you're a potential player are you really going to pay full fees just to play a handful of games against the same 2 teams throughout the season?

Darwin has a population of Approx 150,000 people and has come from 4 clubs in 2007 and expanded to a constant 7 clubs with a full reserve grade side and all other sides....they have beaten SA consistently since 2007 (even when they only had 4 teams and SA had 6). In Comparison Adelaide has approx 1.2 million people and can only field 3 teams with a bye every second week...and has had approx 5 clubs fold. How can a remote area accomplish so much when all we hear is excuses why SA cant!!!

How heads haven't rolled at SARL is absolutely beyond me. They still refuse to acknowledge that they have run this game into the ground. Yet these same people remain year after year in the same positions and keep their jobs. When you are governed by underachievers what hope does rugby league have!?

ALX25

Juniors
Perhaps some new people in the State should put their hands up and work together for a better future. I agree that whoever is in charge of social media/website needs to go for SARL.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Results-

Round 1-
Eels 28- Centrals 30
Warriors V Storm (Forfeit)

Round 2-
Warriors 30- Centrals 40
Eels V Storm (Forfeit)

Last edited:

ATOWN2

Juniors
Who are the Storm?

They are the 4th team in the comp this year and are basically the Bulldogs replacement as they are training out of Hackham. However, they only have a handful of players so have had to forfeit all of the first 4 games. It's a shame really as the Roosters are now playing out of Eyre Sports Park and have a great facility down there. The Roosters seem to be the only team in the comp that are doing well. The Eels and Warriors are both similar to last season.

Out of the 30+ Bulldogs players from last season none of them are playing for the Storm and only a couple have continued playing league for other clubs. Same story with the Tigers that folded this season taking away another 20 players out of the system. Interesting times...

Travitoh

First Grade
They are the 4th team in the comp this year and are basically the Bulldogs replacement as they are training out of Hackham. However, they only have a handful of players so have had to forfeit all of the first 4 games. It's a shame really as the Roosters are now playing out of Eyre Sports Park and have a great facility down there. The Roosters seem to be the only team in the comp that are doing well. The Eels and Warriors are both similar to last season.

Out of the 30+ Bulldogs players from last season none of them are playing for the Storm and only a couple have continued playing league for other clubs. Same story with the Tigers that folded this season taking away another 20 players out of the system. Interesting times...

Thanks.

I was told a little while ago that the SARL's intention was to simply rebrand the Bulldogs to keep a Souths team which in my opinion goes to show the arrogance of the SARL.

Centrals have always been a strong club and it doesn't surprise me that they're doing so well. There seems to be a bit of a RL hotspot in the northern suburbs.

Serious question, how difficult do you think it'd be to start up a 7 or 9 a side comp? Even if it starts out with a few sunday tournaments but try and create a competition to allow people to play a bit of RL that may have an interest but not necessarily the knowledge? There are a few good strong touch comps around Adelaide and i dare to assume that there will be players involved who have a passion for RL.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Thanks.

I was told a little while ago that the SARL's intention was to simply rebrand the Bulldogs to keep a Souths team which in my opinion goes to show the arrogance of the SARL.

Centrals have always been a strong club and it doesn't surprise me that they're doing so well. There seems to be a bit of a RL hotspot in the northern suburbs.

Serious question, how difficult do you think it'd be to start up a 7 or 9 a side comp? Even if it starts out with a few sunday tournaments but try and create a competition to allow people to play a bit of RL that may have an interest but not necessarily the knowledge? There are a few good strong touch comps around Adelaide and i dare to assume that there will be players involved who have a passion for RL.

The Storm experiment was a disaster. 2018 was a real shamble. By the end of the year the only clubs that could field a whole team were Roosters and the Eels.

There have been a couple of administrative changes at SARL with a new General Manager being appointed in Justin Dooley. With the change in management it might entice a few of the old players to come back. However, at this stage it looks like a 9 a side comp may become essential if SARL wants to ensure that there are 4 teams playing each week.

Another option might be changing Senior Games from Sunday's to Friday Nights and play it at a central venue each week e.g. Thebarton that has lights. Likely to be opposed by clubs like the Roosters though since they have moved into Eyre Park and use game days as a fundraising opportunity.

Hi All,

I've recently moved to Adelaide and keen on getting down to watch a few games next season. From what i've read above the comp have sadly dwindled in recent times but hopefully Origin coming to town can be a positive for the local RL clubs.

Q - Where can I find season details, where are the games played, com starts etc?

Appreciate all advice, cheers.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Could be some big bans handed out.
Yeah it was pretty bad!

I expect NRL SA will be providing an update eventually. The last time spectators were involved in a brawl at NRL SA games was back in 2019 and several people ended up receiving life bans.

Last edited: