What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

RoosTah

Juniors
A recent poll... cant argue with tha logic...

How about the Bears taking over Gold Coast?

I might even call that a win-win-win to make it sound even more impressive... Bears are back in the comp, Gold Coast get some long term financial stability and the Bears Sydney based fans get to watch them in Sydney several times a year...

With almost any other relocation plan I'd say that makes sense, but the GC has seen too many name changes. I don't think you can flip the identity again without just making things worse up there. There are other potential investors there, so I kinda hope they get it first.

Personally I'd prefer to see the bears take on South Island in NZ or something of that nature - it'd be a new region that already supports has a strong association with their red and black with their union sides and it'd make the international game stronger.

Clifferd

Coach
If anyone thinks the tigers should move I reckon you should give yourself an insane uppercut and possibly get your brain examined.

Once we get a bit of success we will average 20k+

How about the Roosters ? 2/3 of their biggest home crowds have been in Adelaide and Gosford

Lol

Or Souffs? 30k members "apparently" yet only average 10k, the worst by far in the league.

Clifferd

Coach
Watching tigers tonight in an empty 1970's ground, would,anyone notice if they moved to Perth?

9.5k for a team that has been out of contention for about 10 weeks on a freezing cold winters night against an out of town team that would have bought about 100 fans max

Lol

taipan

Referee
9.5k for a team that has been out of contention for about 10 weeks on a freezing cold winters night against an out of town team that would have bought about 100 fans max

Lol

You're not allowed to mention the fact ,out of town teams,literally fly in thousands of out of towners,just after work.

RoosTah

Juniors
If anyone thinks the tigers should move I reckon you should give yourself an insane uppercut and possibly get your brain examined.

Once we get a bit of success we will average 20k+

How about the Roosters ? 2/3 of their biggest home crowds have been in Adelaide and Gosford

Lol

Or Souffs? 30k members "apparently" yet only average 10k, the worst by far in the league.

Roosters and Souths are too wealthy to need to move, and their identities are solid.

Wests meanwhile looks like a merger that is about to fall apart and the team isn't quite sure who it represents anymore. They just make more sense as a merger...

As for averaging 20k - even if you were winning, your grounds don't even support that many.

Clifferd

Coach
Roosters and Souths are too wealthy to need to move, and their identities are solid.

Wests meanwhile looks like a merger that is about to fall apart and the team isn't quite sure who it represents anymore.

That's because of the inept management previously. We are atm in the most financially best position we've ever been in years. Owe nothing, not one cent to the nrl. We are licensed to stay

Our memberships are the highest they've ever been despite poor ladder positioning.

We are based in the fastest growing region in Sydney (Mcarthur) although admittedly need more work to connect with that area.

Kicking out a merger team is ludicrous, and only brain dead people suggest it. We've already done our part by merging, now we should relocate? Lol

I and many other thousands of supporters would never watch an nrl game again if that decision was ever made

Clifferd

Coach
Haha

Apart from truck loads of cash what do the rorters even fckin bring to the table anyway

Steal everyone's juniors
No fans
Losing the battle to afl AND union

Go to the eastern suburbs. League is a distant 3rd in that region, roosters fail at everything apart having a successful footy team and being wealthy. No idea fckin why, they do nothing to help the game.

Money talks I guess.

RoosTah

Juniors
That's because of the inept management previously. We are atm in the most financially best position we've ever been in years. Owe nothing, not one cent to the nrl. We are licensed to stay

Our memberships are the highest they've ever been despite poor ladder positioning.

We are based in the fastest growing region in Sydney (Mcarthur) although admittedly need more work to connect with that area.

Kicking out a merger team is ludicrous, and only brain dead people suggest it. We've already done our part by merging, now we should relocate? Lol

I and many other thousands of supporters would never watch an nrl game again if that decision was ever made

You spend most of your time at Leichhardt, which is still seen as the spiritual home of the club, and identity wise that is worlds away from Macarthur.

Personally, I'd hate it if the Roosters were moved, but I love the game and so I'd still support them if it was going to the game overall. That said, clubs with as many rich guys on their board as ours generally don't need to worry about that sort of thing.

Just out of curiosity though, if - as has been suggested - the increasingly powerful Wests side of the merger decides to dump Balmain and they go back to the old Magpies identity do you think you'll lose fans? And if so, is that very different from the side going to Perth?

As for all the Roosters bashing - you said it mate; money talks and bullshit walks, and frankly we've seen nothing but bullshit from your club for a long time now.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Lol

So only relevant if fans from another club come and visit or if wining games or if its warm? sounds a great recipe for consistent success! ANy club is going to get better crowds if their wining, if they are playing a team that brings some fans or if its nice weather. What we need is clubs that will achieve even if some of those things are not in play.

ps I don't want to see clubs move unless they have to either as its the only way they will survive or the game needs them to in order to strengthen.

Clifferd

Coach
You spend most of your time at Leichhardt, which is still seen as the spiritual home of the club, and identity wise that is worlds away from Macarthur.

Personally, I'd hate it if the Roosters were moved, but I love the game and so I'd still support them if it was going to the game overall. That said, clubs with as many rich guys on their board as ours generally don't need to worry about that sort of thing.

Just out of curiosity though, if - as has been suggested - the increasingly powerful Wests side of the merger decides to dump Balmain and they go back to the old Magpies identity do you think you'll lose fans? And if so, is that very different from the side going to Perth?

As for all the Roosters bashing - you said it mate; money talks and bullshit walks, and frankly we've seen nothing but bullshit from your club for a long time now.

I really don't think going back to the magpies is an option. Wests Tigers is its own brand and has been for the last 17 years I can't see it changing

I do hope we start focusing on south eastern Sydney though as it is has most potential for growth. Don't fully neglect the Leichhardt area though, maybe host 1-2 traditional games there a year otherwise focus mostly on Campbelltown

Something like

8 Campbelltown
3 ANZ/New Parra Stadium
1 Leichhardt

Should be the norm for the future and I think would be most successful

Clifferd

Coach
So only relevant if fans from another club come and visit or if wining games or if its warm? sounds a great recipe for consistent success! ANy club is going to get better crowds if their wining, if they are playing a team that brings some fans or if its nice weather. What we need is clubs that will achieve even if some of those things are not in play.

ps I don't want to see clubs move unless they have to either as its the only way they will survive or the game needs them to in order to strengthen.

I'll also make note half our team was missing aswell

It's not acceptable, but it's also highly unmotivating watching our team ATM so I can understand why people wouldn't go

I know we have a heck of a lot more fans than the 9.5k that showed up on Friday

Takes 20-30 years to reap the benefits in first grade. That's the real issue. (In a non rugby league area)
Alot of young footballers seek adventure and opportunity. The promise of another club or two coming on the scene is a genuine incentive to play rugby league and then have a crack at the big time. I was of the same mind when i was a young buck footballer.
The advantage with have over the Anglo-irish game is that a Rugby League player can play overseas in a pro comp and see other cultures and the biggest honour in team sport which is to play for Australia.

Stallion

First Grade
Apparently more than 60% of the comps teams, more than 60% of the DO pool and more than the tens of millions the nrl gives nswrl and other Sydney grass roots, more than the GF every year, more than basing nrlhq there etc etc
Apparently more than 60% of the comps teams, more than 60% of the DO pool and more than the tens of millions the nrl gives nswrl and other Sydney grass roots, more than the GF every year, more than basing nrlhq there etc etc

Face value statistics instead of qualitative reality isn't going to assist rugby league either in Sydney or elsewhere. Poor developmental work is occuring yet you ridicule the message that these people are not doing the right job developing the game? Numbers mean jackshit if the positive effects aren't being made.

blue bags

First Grade
Surely Canterbury should relocate to Canterbury NZ to avoid confusion?
Merge Sharks and Wests, Wests Tiger Sharks in Perth, Elias as CEO, the Cronulla board running the show with Tony Sage as financial backer. Super Club from day one lol
not a bad idea, perth needs a team, sydney needs to down size

The Nathan Tinkler saga hasn't helped Tony Sage's bid. Throw in Michael Searle and the mess he left behind at the Titans and the ARU axing the Force and I can see why the NRL is ao apprehensive about Perth.

Maybe Canberra can go west. West Coast Raiders. Good name. Keep ties with Leagues Clubs in Canberra for financial assistance and suddenly Perth has a viable team.

mongoose

Coach
The Nathan Tinkler saga hasn't helped Tony Sage's bid. Throw in Michael Searle and the mess he left behind at the Titans and the ARU axing the Force and I can see why the NRL is ao apprehensive about Perth.

Maybe Canberra can go west. West Coast Raiders. Good name. Keep ties with Leagues Clubs in Canberra for financial assistance and suddenly Perth has a viable team.

why would you relocate Canberra when there is an over-saturation of Sydney?

MugaB

Coach

Seems useless to relocate a regional team that has a unique foothold on RL in their area, not sure why you've persisted with canberra as your "relocation or axing" club, they offer a unique area that most codes dont have, plus the Raiders are a great side, i'd understand if you said titans, coz they suck or roosters coz they don't really have a populous/junior catchment/serve no one but sweaterwearingyachtsmen, but not raiders, thats like moving knights to perth just coz they had 3 wooden spoons and were on hard times... no way any team relocates unless they go under financially, which doesn't seem likely if the grants keep coming out of HQ, and if there is a relocation it would be the bears that do it... a team that isn't currently there that would be based anywhere just to get back in

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Who cares about Tony Sage’s bid lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who cares about Tony Sage’s bid lol.

Its classic Donkeys, he said there was no one wiling to back an NRL club in WA. I showed him 3 multi millionaires who have all at different times gone on record in showing a willingness. He then likens Sage to Tinkler (ignoring the fact Sage has shown some level of commitment to his investments by owning Glory for 13 years!) .
He didn't liken him to other successful NRL club private owners like Crowe, Penn or Gordon, I wonder why? He couldn't possibly have an agenda could he?