What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

Emu01

Juniors
Andrew Webster just said on Nrl 360 when asked about a team in Perth that 2023 is the year Perth will be in the Nrl.

A second Brisbane team as well.It was like extracting a tooth he didn't want to give too much away but he definitely said it's happening in 2023.

The hosts said "Why don't the Nrl make a statement about it" Webster said they had other things on their plates and you can't rush these things..

The Nrl should make a statement confirming this I believe give the fans something to look forward to.

Perth Red will be happy.

Diesel

Coach
If this is true, it should be announced before and leading up to the double header at the new Perth Stadium.

Saturate WA with RL

King hit

Coach
Actual photo of Perth Red waiting for an NRL club in Perth

pdwk2.jpg

2008 we heard maybe 2013
2013 we heard maybe 2018
Now we are hearing maybe 2023
I stopped holding my breath a long time ago!

I certainly understand the cynicism, there is one difference this time though. There's clearly more commitment in terms of laying the groundwork for interest in a team. The double header, World Cup matches & State of Origin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I certainly understand the cynicism, there is one difference this time though. There's clearly more commitment in terms of laying the groundwork for interest in a team. The double header, World Cup matches & State of Origin.

Don't kid yourself, those things are happening because the last WA Govt needed good news events leading into the election and put up ten million to get them games here. Sure the nrl had to say yes but these things would not be happening if it was left to the nrl alone. In fact apart from one extra development officer in the last three years the nrl really has done nothing off its own back. I

Reactions: Vee

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
ill believe it when its announced...

Seriously through, Pirates is a good brand but the ARLC need to give some decent thought to the brand they use for the next brisbane team.

ill believe it when its announced...

Seriously through, Pirates is a good brand but the ARLC need to give some decent thought to the brand they use for the next brisbane team.

Brisbane 2 needs to position itlself as a direct opposite to the Broncos.

One way to achieve this might be a club owned by the fans?

6 years is way too long... they need to be there by 2020 in my view. Why not have a side there to boost the game's profile and TV ratings BEFORE the next TV deal?

I agree but you'll have a hell of a time convincing the other clubs to split the pie. Unless there's a provision for more money with an extra game?

DlEHARD

Juniors
Bring on Perth and Brisbane, but let's not introduce more than one new club in a given season.

2023 is still too far off though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6 years is way too long... they need to be there by 2020 in my view. Why not have a side there to boost the game's profile and TV ratings BEFORE the next TV deal?
Don't be silly that would
A) Require them t take some risk
B) Control the decision over the self interest of existing clubs
C) Have no excuses (at the moment its easy to blame the TV companies for not wanting a ninth game)

we have a mediocre organisation run by mediocre people with mediocre ambitions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree but you'll have a hell of a time convincing the other clubs to split the pie. Unless there's a provision for more money with an extra game?

There really is no need to reduce the individual club slices of the pie. At the moment the pie is estimated to be going to be worth around $600mill a year. the clubs slices are estimated to be around $200mill. That leaves two thirds of the pie to find another slice out of for expansion. The problem is not the clubs, its the NRL not having expansion high enough on its priority list to commit a slice of that 2/3rds to.

There really is no need to reduce the individual club slices of the pie. At the moment the pie is estimated to be going to be worth around $600mill a year. the clubs slices are estimated to be around $200mill. That leaves two thirds of the pie to find another slice out of for expansion. The problem is not the clubs, its the NRL not having expansion high enough on its priority list to commit a slice of that 2/3rds to.

Gotta say that runs counter to everything I've heard.

Even from a former NRL employee in Twitter who insisted the major stumbling block was the clubs.

Latest posts