What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to save the Titans

Perth Red

Post Whore
As soon as GC was chosen over Gosford, bears should have been on the phone to the WARL but they were too arrogant and thought the nrl would eventually give them a spot in Gosford. Now it's clear that's never happening they are like a vulture hovering over any potential carcass in the hope of consuming it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As soon as GC was chosen over Gosford, bears should have been on the phone to the WARL but they were too arrogant and thought the nrl would eventually give them a spot in Gosford. Now it's clear that's never happening they are like a vulture hovering over any potential carcass in the hope of consuming it.

Once Perth actually starts getting properly looked at by the ARLC, you know the Bears are gonna be all over that too...

Not interested in doing the hard yards on a legit location, just looking to swing in for an easy win late in the processes.

davi

Juniors
Petition gets some media attention. Well done!!!!! :D

PETITION TO STOP BEARS TAKEOVER

Passionate Gold Coast supporters have set up a petition to stop North Sydney from taking over the club.

The NRL have put the Titans up for sale and the Bears are one of a number of prospective buyers considering splashing the cash.

Some fans have expressed their concern that a North Sydney takeover will result in the Bears taking the club away from the Glitter Strip.

“I wanted the fans to have an opportunity to have a say before it’s too late,” petition creator Brad Newman told Channel Nine.

“My biggest fear is the Titans may suffer a change of ownership and brand and it would just undermine what we’ve built over the past decade.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/9c3d5d90562f0b32a29daec6f262405c

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So why didn't the Titans use some of that local history? And I would argue that the Bears name & colours does have local history.

Burleigh already have an affiliation with the titans & their club dates back to 1934. The bears name is unbiquitois, it's not Sydney centric at all. Classic sports name.

Also the seagulls, the first Gold Coast team in the NSWRL played with red, black & white colours.

To me there's plenty to link in.

Michael Searle was an idiot.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I honestly don't really have a dog in this fight, apart from some nostalgia that I feel at the prospect of seeing the Bears back I don't really care if the Bears take over (well the consortium that has been given the rights to use the Bears branding), or if another group that decides to keep the Titans branding gets the licence, or if a consortium that decided to re-brand them to something completely new or even picked up one of the other old GC clubs brands gained the licence, at the end of the day I'm not bothered so long as the club is in a stable financial position for the foreseeable future.

But frankly the petition quoted above provides a useless statistic, the only people who signed it are those who actively sort it out, it's a tiny sample of the population, and it doesn't really record the opinions of the greater public of the Gold Coast only Titans fans, and if the goal is to stabilise the Titans financially and within the community of the GC then the opinions of people who aren't currently Titans supporters but could be under the right circumstances are just as important as the Titans current fans.

Though I don't think that a brand change would be ideal neither do I think that a brand change would kill the GCRLFC over night if it's done with the proper community engagement, in fact I think it's a bit hysterical to suggest that it would.
I also think that it's disingenuous to suggest that it'd be "another" brand change as the Titans RLFC has never had a brand change, and the Giants/Seagull, the Gladiators, and the Chargers were all different clubs, suggesting that the Titans are a continuation of those old clubs simply untrue and the Titans new owners shouldn't be completely beholden to the history of the Titans themselves let alone the defunct GC clubs that came before them, unless they choose to be of course

You are correct that the connection between the titans and the older GC clubs is purely illusionary, but people believe the illusion and the club has only promoted this idea with their heritage jumpers being the Seagull design in new colours...

As long as they maintain this connection to these older clubs, this stink of chaos and death will be attached to them as well (personally, i put the biggest connector down to the name "Gold Coast". Ive said before, call the team "South Queensland". if youre going to establish an association with a dead club, the Crushers is the far better choice)

Some were new clubs, some were change of brands. But perception is reality. Just how many people claim them all to be failed, when the Chargers were closed in a profit, the Gladiators existed for one pre-season competition, and the Giants change to Seagulls with new ownership.

Pretty concerning that you'd be so dismissive of the views of the fans who put money and time into the club, sign on the dotted line and become members, buy, wear gear and attend games and actually live in the region. They'd be the group that I would be most concerned with.

Again, i think you bring the perception on yourself.

The name "Gold Coast" will forever be attached to the 4 defunct clubs. Of course the Titans always cop the "when will the 5th team die?" headlines.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Perpetuating a falsehoods simply isn't my way.

I'd also warn that perpetuating falsehoods for an agenda is a dangerous rope to walk.

ALL sport is about perpetuated myths...

Look at any club 20 years ago; more often than not there will not be a single player, coach or admin person still there. The only thing stays is the name, the jumper.

Yet it is these stories and history of this old club that make this team popular and has the fans turn up to watch every week.

Whether they keep the titans name as is or change some parts or even all of it, the goal will be to write the more appealing myth possible.

It's no myth.

Even if you ignore all the problems RL teams had in the 90's on the Gold Coast there's a litany of other sporting failures there.

Brisbane Bears
Gold Coast United
Gold Coast Rollers
Gold Coast Blaze

Is there another city that has had such a diverse group of sporting team failures in such a short period?

One is a VFL team that still exists under a different name, one is a soccer club Clive Palmer drove into the ground and 2 are from a minor sport that would struggle anywhere in the country.

Meanwhile the GCRL clubs introduced in 1988 (not considering the bloody name changes) in the end only died thank to SuperLeague.

The GC can hardly be considered a "graveyard".

The Great Dane

First Grade
ALL sport is about perpetuated myths...

Look at any club 20 years ago; more often than not there will not be a single player, coach or admin person still there. The only thing stays is the name, the jumper.

Yet it is these stories and history of this old club that make this team popular and has the fans turn up to watch every week.

Whether they keep the titans name as is or change some parts or even all of it, the goal will be to write the more appealing myth possible.

Firstly the connection between the Titans and the older clubs isn't myth making by the club, it's a false equivalency by journos trying to create a story for clicks.
And no I don't see the Titans heritage jerseys as a nod to the Seagulls, just a cash grab, if the jersey was produced as an exact replica colours and all, or at least had advertising push the Seagulls connection, then you may have a point, but it's not an exact replica and no such advertising exists as far as I know, so its just an excuse to produce another jersey for sale.

Secondly, I think you're projecting your experiences onto everybody else!

Myth making is a part of sport (and every human activity) to a degree, and it may be that the myths around RL is what interests you and keeps watching but that doesn't mean that everybody is interested in that element of RL (or sport in general) to the same degree that you are, I certainly am not, and in my experience most peoples main interests in sport isn't the sports/clubs myths and legends so much as it's an interest in the sport or a particular club/player.

And frankly all of the Gold Coasts clubs existences have been so well documented, and frankly uneventful (well unless those events are negative), that it's basically impossible to create (positive) myths about them that are worth trying to sell, so unless you're talking about reintroducing the GC market to older stories from a pre-Giants era, which is possible (the WSW have done it well in the A-league), then their aren't really any myths to tell.

Latest posts