What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet hates in gyms

GAZF

First Grade
They tend to be looking for a water source. I just ended up putting a bowl outside under the tap and fill it there. It will be dirty fast. But it will keep them outside a lot more.
Thanks for the tip. They sound like they are easier to deal with than the other tools mentioned in here.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
This isn't a gripe about gyms themselves but the people who go to them.

Since moving to Melbourne mid last year, it seems that every second person goes to a gym on a very regular basis. Now here comes the crunch.

They go to the gym before or after work most days a week.

What happens on a weekend? They go out and get shitfaced on whatever substances - both legal and illegal.

Seems a bit counterproductive and hypocritical to me.

T-Boon

Coach
Since moving to Melbourne mid last year, it seems that every second person goes to a gym on a very regular basis. Now here comes the crunch.

They go to the gym before or after work most days a week.

What happens on a weekend? They go out and get shitfaced on whatever substances - both legal and illegal.

Seems a bit counterproductive and hypocritical to me.

This seems to be the case at the gym I get to, it only annoys me from the perspective of jealousy because I can't do that without ruining all the effort I put in through the week. Whereas all these youngsters just manage to stay in shape.

Dogs Of War

Coach
This seems to be the case at the gym I get to, it only annoys me from the perspective of jealousy because I can't do that without ruining all the effort I put in through the week. Whereas all these youngsters just manage to stay in shape.

Yeah. I couldn't put weight on in my 20's. Could go to the gym, drink all night 4-5 times a week and still be going well. Now in my 40's I only have to look at the wrong food and I put weight on, or have a big big night on the drink, and then question what happened the next 2 days as I recover.

Life's Good

Coach
The bubbler(not a reference to Todd Carney). Why is it that people can't take a water bottle and fill it up for their workout?? They walk up for a drink, huffing & puffing, leaving all sorts of blowback for the next person. BUY A REFILLABLE BOTTLE. I don't want to see what you had for lunch.

Life's Good

Coach
Get to the gym for a quick chest workout. Two blokes hogging one machine with flat benchvthen decide to add the decline bench as well. Other bench area is taken up by. Bloke who is into the quantity, not quality mantra and is now onto his 6th set!! I will be here all night at this rate.

thorson1987

Coach
People who don't bring a towel, then won't even wipe equipment down with the wipes provided. Not hard ffs. I take a towel and also use the wipes.

People leaving weights on the floor. I don't mind so much when weights are left on equipment, but don't leave them on the floor where people could trip over them.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
my partner has just gotten back into training and got to the gym about halfway through my run so I had about 30 minutes to hang around after id finished and had a shower for her to finish so we could go get some dinner so I just sat and used their wifi and just people watched for a bit.

The gym I go to is a great facility as a sport and leisure centre but the umm "scenery" is pretty much non existent if you know what I mean so I was a bit shocked to see a stunner walk in that I hadn't seen before. First exercise she went to do some proper gym douche (stupidly short shorts, singlet that the shoulder straps go down to you bell button and may aswell be topless, hair product etc) immediately chucked is all chest and arms and not legs ever programme out the window and based his entire session around whatever was directly next to what this girl was doing. she would move onto the next exercise and he would rush his set out, have a look, and within 2 minutes be right next to her again.

Was cringeworthy

People who don't bring a towel, then won't even wipe equipment down with the wipes provided. Not hard ffs. I take a towel and also use the wipes.

People leaving weights on the floor. I don't mind so much when weights are left on equipment, but don't leave them on the floor where people could trip over them.

There was a few of these at the gym I used to go to. They become incensed the moment you dare ask them to adhere to the rules (there was only about 100 signs dotted around the joint.)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Back in the gym after a looooong time and things haven't changed much.

Favourite gym types:

Male: these blokes must be throwing up some serious weight because you can hear them grunting from 50 metres away. Then when you look over to make sure they haven't busted a nut they've got about 20 kgs on the machine.

Female: yoga pants? Check. Sports bra? Check. Water bottle? Check. Headphones? Check. Myfit? Check. Headband? Check. 2 mins on the treadmill and workout over? Check.

Another fave is the largish chick I've seen 2 times now who plonks herself on the sitdown bike, does 2km an hour all the while watching game of thrones on her phone.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I grunt getting out of a chair now days. I probably sound like a dying moose on any compound lifts with any kind of weight at all

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure it's a pet hate as it's pretty much a one off, but whatever...

My gym is normally great but lately these three meat head mates have been spending a lot of time here. You know the type, inverse pyramids with singlet straps about as thick as their legs. Usually I just ignore them, they're judgemental f**ks but I'm not that worried, I gym for fitness and strength, I'm as serious a cricketer as I can be at my level after plenty of injuries so size has no attraction to me.

Anyway thanks to cricket and age I've recently suffered a SLAP tear in my shoulder and have been doing rehab exercises, usually at the very start of my session before I get into the stuff I can still do around the injury. Rehab is a series of very controlled exercises at very low weight to strengthen the muscles within the joint and realign everything.

Meathead one notices, points it our to Meathead two and very obviously goes "haha, 3kg? What's the point mate!"

Mate my shoulder might be f**ked but I can hock a cricket ball 100m, I can probably put that 3kg through your smirking face at 10m...

Iafeta

Referee
People listening to music on their phone with no headphones.. f**k off

It's similar to my main pet hate. The dudes who go into the rec room where the power frames are, put their iPhone into the speakers and play appallingly bad music at full tilt. Even with my headphones on and volume up these douche sacks rubbish overrides it.

Iafeta

Referee
So I'm there doing decline bench press. I'm between sets, lying down on the bench and gripping the barbell ready to go on. Some selfish, ignorant dumb as dog you know what comes along and takes two plates off one side of the bar to put on the seated lateral row machine behind me. I had to bite my tongue, epic douche.

Latest posts