What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

phantom eel

First Grade
Bart will be ecstatic.
I do enjoy quality football - that's why I don't like the A-League.

I love Japan's tight consistent, relentless style. Japan have alway been a class above - we were lucky to squeak past them in 2006 (a game I attended and enjoyed).

84 Baby

Referee
I do enjoy quality football - that's why I don't like the A-League.

I love Japan's tight consistent, relentless style. Japan have alway been a class above - we were lucky to squeak past them in 2006 (a game I attended and enjoyed).
What game have you been watching? Japan have been shit. We've just been shitter at times. For a team that tries to play a holding game, we sure as shit struggle to control our own passes sometimes

phantom eel

First Grade
Of course we've been shitter. We're a class behind them, they don't have to even bring their A game to give us a hiding.

Suitman

Post Whore
What game have you been watching? Japan have been shit. We've just been shitter at times. For a team that tries to play a holding game, we sure as shit struggle to control our own passes sometimes

It's all the A-Leagues fault.
I thought we have played ok.
Unlucky not to have taken the lead in the 1st half after hitting the post.
They had two chances and took them.
Well done Japan.
Next week has certainly been set up as a cliffhanger.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We only have to beat Thailand by more than Saudi Arabia beats Japan. Japan will be favourites in that game whereas we'll be favourites in ours. And if we finish third there's a playoff. We don't even really need to turn up against Thailand. We'll be right.

84 Baby

Referee
We only have to beat Thailand by more than Saudi Arabia beats Japan. Japan will be favourites in that game whereas we'll be favourites in ours. And if we finish third there's a playoff. We don't even really need to turn up against Thailand. We'll be right.
Well we do obviously need more game time together.
Maybe I can convince my missus for a Panamanian or Honduran junket. After the travelling to the glorious Central Asian steppes of course

Suitman

Post Whore

Yep.
And imagine how shit we'd be if there was no A-League and we still had the NSL?

phantom eel

First Grade
So with Japan and Iraq safely qualified (and assuming South Korea and Saudi Arabia keep their spots), ultimately either Australia or Uzbekistan (or maybe Syria, but currently 1-1 with Qatar) will still qualify, via a fourth round playoff?

phantom eel

First Grade
Yep.
And imagine how shit we'd be if there was no A-League and we still had the NSL?
To be honest, what's the difference? We qualified well before we had A-League.

2223163_full-lnd.jpg

phantom eel

First Grade
So with Japan and Iraq safely qualified (and assuming South Korea and Saudi Arabia keep their spots), ultimately either Australia or Uzbekistan (or maybe Syria, but currently 1-1 with Qatar) will still qualify, via a fourth round playoff?
Not quite... there's another round of play-offs if we get through that one, before we'll quality.

Lol at us - Mexico or US shold see us off.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...o-make-it-to-russia-2018-20170831-gy8i1z.html

4. Australia take the long road to Russia
If none of the above scenarios play out, Australia will almost definitely finish third in the group (barring some sort of catastrophic thrashing at the hands of Thailand, allowing the UAE to leapfrog us). If that happens, Australia would play a two-leg home and away play-off with the third best team in the other Asian qualifying group - probably either Uzbekistan or South Korea, but possibly Syria.

If they navigate their way through that, they would then need to play another home and away play-off with the fourth best team in North American qualifying; which would be one of Mexico, Canada, USA, Panama, Honduras and Trinidad & Tobago.