What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Folks - Disappointing result last night but remember that we have come a long way from the days where Skippy was our best player.

2223163_full-lnd.jpg

84 Baby

Referee
So with Japan and Iraq safely qualified (and assuming South Korea and Saudi Arabia keep their spots), ultimately either Australia or Uzbekistan (or maybe Syria, but currently 1-1 with Qatar) will still qualify, via a fourth round playoff?

Or Iran even

Not quite... there's another round of play-offs if we get through that one, before we'll quality.

Lol at us - Mexico or US shold see us off.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...o-make-it-to-russia-2018-20170831-gy8i1z.html

4. Australia take the long road to Russia
If none of the above scenarios play out, Australia will almost definitely finish third in the group (barring some sort of catastrophic thrashing at the hands of Thailand, allowing the UAE to leapfrog us). If that happens, Australia would play a two-leg home and away play-off with the third best team in the other Asian qualifying group - probably either Uzbekistan or South Korea, but possibly Syria.

If they navigate their way through that, they would then need to play another home and away play-off with the fourth best team in North American qualifying; which would be one of Mexico, Canada, USA, Panama, Honduras and Trinidad & Tobago.

There's no chance Mexico or US will play playoff. As I said earlier Honduras or.... PANAMA oh oh oh oh. Plus did you write that quality article? It's Costa Rica not Canada FFS

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well, good old Angela P has stopped f**king around and named close to his best side for tonight - Juric, Cahill and Mooy are all starting. Lucky we're not playing the Thai ping-pong team hey?

84 Baby

Referee
Syria is war ravaged but we're not going to war ravaged Syria. Game will be played in Tehran or Jeddah or Abu Dhabi

phantom eel

First Grade
FMD Saudi Arabia beat Japan
They did what we couldn't.

We deserve to face the hard road to qualify for the WCFs - we've been pretty, shit and Australian soccer has a way to go to reclaim the dizzy heights reached between say 2004-2008.

Gronk

Staff member
What I firmly agree with is that you don't get a free ride into the WC.

It would have been a travesty to qualify overnight based on such rubbish form.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Japan were a very weakened team last night as they had already qualified, it wasn't the same team that we played on the weekend

84 Baby

Referee
What I firmly agree with is that you don't get a free ride into the WC.

It would have been a travesty to qualify overnight based on such rubbish form.
Agreed. I'm actually looking forward to the extra qualifiers. Remember those qualifiers against Uruguay & Iran. Better drama than any f**king show on tv

84 Baby

Referee
I've just realised the Dutchlanders are also on the verge of elimination. The Eredivisie must be a shit league

Latest posts