What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

super_coach

First Grade
I am not going into a long winded rap of the year but at the end of 2016 although we just missed the 8 I was pretty negative about our chance in 2017, based on what we produced at the end of the season in a few games we had to win. Funny enough this year is a total different feeling. I think since Cleary took over we have shown enamours improvement and although we did not win a lot of games we were in the contest and competing.

When you look at our team on paper it was made up of reserve graders, rookies,journey men and a couple of SOO class players. Cleary had them punching miles above their weight. So next year with the influx of a lot of hard headed pros and some young talent its very hard not to be excited.

Of course the trick will be introducing so many new players to a new system. Most clubs really struggle for a year when they have a lot of new recruits but I am confident Cleary will handle the challenge.

Second year syndrome could also be a challenge for some of our youngsters and I also some of our current team are going to find themselves in reserve grade next year and will they be able to keep the motivation going waiting for a break.

Anyway basically I feel 100% more positive now than I did this time last year, okay I don't think we will win the comp in 2018 but I think we are going to set a great platform for the future

Ivan immediately lived up to one of his strengths which is a good identifier of ability. Bringing in Twal, Marsters and Hazlewood into the top grade were masterstrokes that bode well for the future. When the year was already gone Ivan had a golden opportunity to test these blokes and they all surpassed expectations.

We're shedding a good deal of deadwood, and depth now runs deep which should see us competitive in both First Grade and State Cup next year.

Our assumed 2018 spine is unconventional and untested, and plenty will hinge on that but I think Brooks and Reynolds can steer us around the park quite ably. I hope a huge part of the off season is put into our options in the opposition 20.

magpie_man

Juniors
Second year syndrome could also be a challenge for some of our youngsters and I also some of our current team are going to find themselves in reserve grade next year and will they be able to keep the motivation going waiting for a break.

That is the thing that somewhat concerns me as well, particularly with Suli's decline in form in the last few weeks. However, Cleary's recruitment spree bodes well given the depth we will have, especially in the backs.
At this point, also, it doesn't appear that we have a genuine clutch player who can snatch a game from the fire - perhaps Lolo with a full offseason tightening his belt, we'll have to wait and see. Losing a few tight games can be quite mentally scarring on a team which is my concern.
I was worried about Brooks but am far less so now with the recruitment of Benji.
All up, there's a lot to be feeling optimistic about for '18.

Clifferd

Coach
That's what's got me excited for next year.

IC has got s team full of rookies, players going elsewhere next year and just players that aren't up to scratch in 1st grade yet we've been competitive every week for the last 8 weeks

IC = immortal

That is the thing that somewhat concerns me as well, particularly with Suli's decline in form in the last few weeks. However, Cleary's recruitment spree bodes well given the depth we will have, especially in the backs.
At this point, also, it doesn't appear that we have a genuine clutch player who can snatch a game from the fire - perhaps Lolo with a full offseason tightening his belt, we'll have to wait and see. Losing a few tight games can be quite mentally scarring on a team which is my concern.
I was worried about Brooks but am far less so now with the recruitment of Benji.
All up, there's a lot to be feeling optimistic about for '18.

Suli? He was injured the last month. The injury may have had to do with his form slump as well.

super_coach

First Grade
If I had to give a highlight and lowlight in 2017
My lowlight would be Moses, I had no problems with him signing elsewhere, but to tank games when still under contract, to force the club into giving him a release was unforgivable, to me he should have been de registered by the NRL for the year. In my book what he did was far worse than Simonia

Highlight...Cleary, I actually backed Taylor to the end as I was sick and tired of everyone blaming the coach instead of looking at the cattle, but from day one Cleary changed the joint and what he did in a couple of months with a roster that was average. I just admire his calmness and professionalism.

Clifferd

Coach
f**k Moses the little dweeb. I think he's twice the player of Brooks but atleast Brooks wants to stay and help the club

My only regret this season is someone not putting one on the chin of the pimply faced merkin

IC and the young blokes introduced to fg and how the team has responded to his coaching is my highlight,while it's disappointing to lose some players the actions and method Moses used to gain a release will forever brand him as an eternal f##kwit IMO.

Radical Rat

Juniors
f**k Moses the little dweeb. I think he's twice the player of Brooks but atleast Brooks wants to stay and help the club

My only regret this season is someone not putting one on the chin of the pimply faced merkin

I think it's too early to call who will end up having the better career out of Brooks and Moses.

I'm more than happy to back Brooks. We've seen how much he's improved in this short time under IC, in both attack and defence. I'm really excited to see him with a full off season and a stable 5/8 partner.

I still think Moses is too flaky and fragile. Brooks is a solid little nugget, he's just got to get his confidence back. The tools are all there.

magpie_man

Juniors
Yeah think MM might have had Suli mixed up with someone. He got injured in the Knights game, prior to the injury he was having his best game of the season.

Yeah got my wires crossed on that one. I thought he was back in reggies for some weird reason.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think it's too early to call who will end up having the better career out of Brooks and Moses.

I'm more than happy to back Brooks. We've seen how much he's improved in this short time under IC, in both attack and defence. I'm really excited to see him with a full off season and a stable 5/8 partner.

I still think Moses is too flaky and fragile. Brooks is a solid little nugget, he's just got to get his confidence back. The tools are all there.

I think Moses is a more structured player whilst Brooks plays best when he plays infront of him. For instance the early kick for naquima for our first try when he noticed the fullback was up was great. Then compare to Moses against souths who threw an intercept going through with a play that clearly wasn't on but he did it anyway.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Sent directly to the deep ocean sewerage outfall bypassing the sewerage treatment plant.

Total waste of 2.5 mins of ones time as it's a totally inane attempt at reviewing our season devoid of anything constructive like mentioning the positive rise of a no. of rookies like Marsters Suli Eisenhuth & Twal & the transparent improvement in grit & defence of the team.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sent directly to the deep ocean sewerage outfall bypassing the sewerage treatment plant.

Total waste of 2.5 mins of ones time as it's a totally inane attempt at reviewing our season devoid of anything constructive like mentioning the positive rise of a no. of rookies like Marsters Suli Eisenhuth & Twal & the transparent improvement in grit & defence of the team.

Appreciate you letting us know!

Rexxy

Coach

Tiger Ted. You're right. It's a bit thin, like boarding house soup, or grannies undies after too much Sunlight Soap.

Rob has asked if he could interview you for the show over the phone? He has a lot of questions for Tiger fans. One saturday morning? I will PM you....

Latest posts