What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union strikes again

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In cases like this Rugby League has to position itself as the good guy.

If I'm an average joe playing 2 small sports in my country, and one of them tries to ban me.from the other, I know which way I'm going to lean and it aint towards the fascists.

Rugby League is better off taking the players who are happy to remain loyal and building on that foundation, than submitting or retaliating.

Yeh, a retaliatory ban would be a terrible idea and functionally pointless....

All RL needs to do is entice players to come over and it is RU slamming the door on them. But this all depends on RL being active in enticing players.

taipan

Referee
Ah yes rugby union, the code with the proud tradition, that keeps on giving.Let me see, collaboration check, involvement in apartheid check,continual threats against any amateur who dares try his hand at rl.
For 100 years ru officials and in many cases their fans admonished players who played rl for money.
Remember well Simon Poidevin's book 'for love not money".
Then Rupert flashed his wallet ,as SL was coming around the Mountain, and they came running to grab a piece of the cabbage,faster than Usain Bolt on roller skates.All of a sudden getting paid to play was actually OK.
Correction all of a sudden to earn money openly was OK.

taipan

Referee
Commonsense has prevailed.
The Turkish Rugby League Assoc.and the Turkish Rugby Fed, have settled their differences after an emergency meeting between the two parties during the week.(Post on Rugby League Planet site BTW).
In brief :
"After a 5 hour meeting between the admins of both codes in Ankara Tuesday ,sanity prevailed and it was decided that each sport should continue as separate entities due to the differences between rules and the fact the two codes sit under different international federations.
The Rugby league Assoc will be held independently by the 13s,9s and Beach Rugby League Organisations independent of theTurkish Rugby Fed."

Thumbs up.It's amazing a country like Turkey has admitted people can have a choice in playing either or both the rugby codes.Yet in this country you can't play rl in GPS and associated schools.Go figure.