What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, the NRL need to get onto this and fast... if Twiggy were willing, they should just get a wholesale takeover of the WA Force facilities and convert the entire set-up to League.

From what I know it is worth a shot. Twiggy hasn't shown any interest in in Union before this and I feel he is riding in on his white horse more because of the "injustice" to WA from the big bad East coast rather than any great love of rugby union. Offering him to take over the Force and put them in the NRL, with lots of spin about WA kids being able to fulfil their "Rugby" dream etc might be worth a go. If nothing else it will pss the leather elbow patch brigade off which is never a bad thing :)

RoosTah

Juniors
From what I know it is worth a shot. Twiggy hasn't shown any interest in in Union before this and I feel he is riding in on his white horse more because of the "injustice" to WA from the big bad East coast rather than any great love of rugby union. Offering him to take over the Force and put them in the NRL, with lots of spin about WA kids being able to fulfil their "Rugby" dream etc might be worth a go. If nothing else it will pss the leather elbow patch brigade off which is never a bad thing :)
100%.
Seriously, if you wanted to send a massive F*ck you to the ARU there would be no greater way than converting the whole set up to League

Perth Red

Post Whore
100%.
Seriously, if you wanted to send a massive F*ck you to the ARU there would be no greater way than converting the whole set up to League

Could you imagine if this scenario presented itself in western Sydney or Brisbane to the afl? Do you think they wouldn't have been on a plane and meeting with people by now?

RoosTah

Juniors
Could you imagine if this scenario presented itself in western Sydney or Brisbane to the afl? Do you think they wouldn't have been on a plane and meeting with people by now?
I have to believe that somebody at NRL HQ is recognizing all this... opening the season there next year was a good start and I am sure there's plenty they want to do. They just need someone with more vision running it

Diesel

Referee
Does he have an interest in RL?

siv

First Grade
Just insane. To go into a "Superleague War" for rugby - with the code in a weak state to begin with - is dicing with death.

Who in their right mind would play in this competition? Any Australian player will be black-listed, so would it be ring-ins from Europe, North/South America and the Pacific Islands?

I see he's already putting the call out to New Zealand, good luck to him with that - The NZRU will be sure to scare every decent player here off this.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...competition-to-take-on-australian-rugby-union

Looking forward to the blacklisting

Will only help RL

taipan

Referee
I don't know.From what I've been reading his comp is aimed to work in with the ARU/Super rugby.
They know they can't get into the S18 whatever, so this Twiggy chap is giving Force players an opportunity to continue there ,and still be eligible for the Wallabies off good enough.

Suggest he has zero intent of getting rl on board.
I hope he fails, but that's just me, and my historical distaste for anything union

adamkungl

Immortal
Remember that time I said it wouldn't be another Super League and Twiggy and the ARU would come to a mutually beneficial arrangement and it would be good for Rugby Union and bad for Rugby League?

Yeah that seems to be happening.

Took RU 3 weeks to sort out what would have been 20 years of self interested backstabbing in RL only to end up worse off than we were in the first place.

taipan

Referee
It's not aimed to work at all. There is zero detail and zero sense in anything he says..

Some of the detail is in the Australian today.
I have zero idea of the countries involved, only reporting what has been put into print.
Forest claims he has FTA stations interested . Who knows.
But it's fair to suggest I can;t see rugby league getting a go with him.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how long term committed he will be. It will be hugely expensive and I'll be surprised if clubs draw a couple of thousand. He's got a shed load of money but I can't see this comp breaking even for a very long time. Talking about clubs in Singapore, Perth, HK, kuala Lumpar, China, Fiji and possibly Sri Lanka.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I wonder how long term committed he will be. It will be hugely expensive and I'll be surprised if clubs draw a couple of thousand. He's got a shed load of money but I can't see this comp breaking even for a very long time. Talking about clubs in Singapore, Perth, HK, kuala Lumpar, China, Fiji and possibly Sri Lanka.

Wow - talk about pie in the sky. I know Union exists and has strong roots in these places but their sport seems to me to be expanding way too quickly, it's like a stock market bubble and we know how they end up. Think about it, if pro Rugby didn't exist in Argentina, Japan, HK, Singapore, Sri Lanka, China and Fiji until the Jaguares and Sun Wolves came into Super Rugby a few years ago, now they are going to have all of these other dubious franchises pop up out of nowhere.

Jankuloski

Juniors
I don't see any new info there apart from throwing around a couple of names as "competition architects"

Bottom line, teams based in emerging markets such as China must live from the money there.. and I highly doubt that an Australian billionare knows much about running a pro sports franchise in India - where's the groundwork for this?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
2nd their comp, watered down because of competing for talent with NRC are all I needed to read to know that no one will care about this comp.

Even if SANZAAR dissolves in 2020 and Indo-pacific merges with Australia and NZ to form a new comp it will have more meaningless fixtures than super Rugby has now. Shanghai Skyscrapers v NSW waratah in front of 2000 people anyone? No thanks and the people of Shanghai wouldn't care either

RoosTah

Juniors
Seems the initial mockery is turning into something serious. f**k I hope this doesn't resurrect union in Australia!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...s/news-story/61ae6a91f9f665b98292358024c95d6f

Paul Cully in the herald rightly pointed out yesterday that the whole structure of his competition doesn't feed into the international season at all, and given its starting from scratch will cost a fortune and have very little revenue from either fans or broadcasters.

I honestly can't see how this will do anything but further hurt super rugby and the spot in general

Latest posts