What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to stop signing coaches

dragon-83

Juniors
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/09/07/dragons-vow-stop-signing-coaches/

Dragons vow to stop signing coaches
By Dane Eldridge | 6 hours ago
Have your say3 Comments

• Player Information
  • About Brightcove
Matty Johns tells NRL clubs to take advice from the Rabbitohs

Following another fade-out, the St. George Illawarra Dragons have promised fans to never sign another coach again.

Club officials believe they have “really learnt their lesson this time” after they derailed another promising campaign with a negligent show of faith in a coach.

Paul McGregor’s side was cruising earlier in the year, with their assured performances unfairly promising fans a return to September action. However, the club flinched in Round 13 and bizarrely granted him a contract extension, citing prolonged displays of ability as reasons for the decision.

From this point, the Dragons struggled with the stability and never recovered.

This deadly stamp of approval for McGregor evoked memories of 2013, when the club rushed to secure Steve Price after he guided them to a half-time lead.

The decision ultimately thwarted a three-game winning streak, before sparking a tragic chain of events resulting in the Sharks’ premiership and the closure of the Kogarah Sizzler.

McGregor’s situation this year was eerily similar to Price’s, with even Josh Dugan reported AWOL for a period of Price’s tenure – possibly all of it.

League Videos See more »

Matty Johns tells NRL clubs to take advice from the Rabbitohs1:01

Dogs skipper agrees to join St George Illawarra1:13

Greg Bird sent to the bin for dangerous tackle0:39

Tigers too tough to tame against Warriors1:29

However, Dragons powerbrokers have grown tired of their own decision-making and will make changes to avoid similar disasters in future. Not only will they constitute against contract extensions for coaches, but the recruitment of coaches altogether.

Officials believe had they embargoed coaches earlier, they could’ve avoided failed grand finals under Brian Smith and the impregnable shambles left by Wayne Bennett.

In addition, they wouldn’t have wasted spectacular talent had they steered clear of Nathan Brown, while Anthony Mundine would’ve surely given-off in a world without David Waite and Andrew Farrar.

Despite the move’s absurd overtones, officials are said to be excited by the prospect of not working with coaches.

One official confirmed the club will begin by “downsizing” the role because “it is now a small, tokenistic part of the club, like the Illawarra”.

“Additionally, not only will avoiding coaches insure against acute mid-season declines, it will streamline costly and time-consuming contract processes by having no contracts at all,” he added.

“And it’s all thanks to simply banning the hyphen in ‘re-signing’, and the ‘signing’ part too.”

While the new model is yet to be determined, it is likely Peter Doust will appoint himself director of coaching, with the hands-on role remotely outsourced to the Philippines.

Despite the revenue saved on a coach’s salary, the Dragons are still expected to exceed the football department cap on support staff for Ben Hunt’s wallet.

Last edited:

St Georgio

Juniors
One official confirmed the club will begin by “downsizing” the role because “it is now a small, tokenistic part of the club, like the Illawarra”.
So what are these ppl saying, Ok we f up, but we are not going to chase another coach, Our Local McPuppet boy is here to stay, am I missing something here, correct me, but it comes across that this club is run by a bunch of miss fits.

Bench
I don't understand this at all. Can someone please tell me what it all means in plain English

Gomarchin

Juniors
Two more years of McWreckor....how depressing. And if he makes the 8 next year will they extend his contract for a further 2 years?

RedVDragon

Juniors
I don't understand this at all. Can someone please tell me what it all means in plain English
I thought I was the only one who didn't understand what this means.

Must have been communicated on or just after mad Monday.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
"While the new model is yet to be determined, it is likely Peter Doust will appoint himself director of coaching, with the hands-on role remotely outsourced to the Philippines."
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I think there is a misprint relating to Doust.
Instead of being the new DoC ( Director of Coaching ) ......... the correct title should say,
NaDA ( Not a Directors Arrsehole )

Reactions: Qdf

st george sam

Juniors
"While the new model is yet to be determined, it is likely Peter Doust will appoint himself director of coaching, with the hands-on role remotely outsourced to the Philippines."
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I think there is a misprint relating to Doust.
Instead of being the new DoC ( Director of Coaching ) ......... the correct title should say,
NaDA ( Not a Directors Arrsehole )

DoC = Dictator of Club or also he could be referred as DiC

VodkaSaint

Juniors
While the new model is yet to be determined, it is likely Peter Doust will appoint himself director of coaching, with the hands-on role remotely outsourced to the Philippines.
WTF DID I JUST READ! COACHING DIRECTOR! , AND WHAT THE FOOK DOES PHILIPPINES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH OUR CLUB:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: well and trully fans we got screwed over again, and again, and fooken again

Mr Red

First Grade
rush to sign Price and Mary to extended deals for no reason - lets face it no other 1st grade league team would ever pursue these incompetents.... however when one of the greatest coaches of the modern era wanted a 5 year deal we reject him and only offer 3 years.....

Doust and Board you are a f*cking disgrace....

71saintsimon

Juniors
Don't really understand the article but in any case saints you stoped signing coaches a long time ago not since Wayne Bennett and long before him David Waite has saints had a coach

Latest posts