What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

perverse

Referee
Oh god, can you imagine the stench of nerd BO at an Ayreon show?
Lol no offense but this sounds like a virgin complaining about smelly vaginas. What metal gigs have you been to that smell of roses? Big sweaty unshowered fat dudes are par for the course at all metal gigs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
its usually more the stench of fresh sweat and beer than the kind of amassed concentration of stale armpit odour reminiscent of an early 2000s LAN party though.

Katatonia was a recent gig that was noticeably whiffy

gUt

Coach
Dyscarnate - not bad. Love the guitar sound. Reminds me of Black Breath.

gUt

Coach
This was recommended by a dude at a conference. Melodic death metal with throat singing, not too bad imo

adamkungl

Immortal
Ooh will have to check that out. Can't get enough of that kinda stuff. You a Pallbearer fan too?

Not really. Too slow for me. Falls into the "I can tell this is legit good but not really for me" category. Similar judgement to Ayreon really.

Doom isn't my favourite, but I like it a lot when it's blended with other styles.

Khemmis
King Goat
Vainaja
My favourites of recent memory. Could Primordial be called a doom band? Not in the straightforward sense but definitely elements of that sound.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Wouldn't call Primordial doom. They're pretty hard though pigeonhole really, such a unique band. The "Celtic metal" tag probably fits best as they're VERY Irish but even that's misleading as they're not a folk metal band, don't use violins and flutes and play obviously folky jig/polka melodies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Rumours that the Download festival replacing Soundwave is being announced in October, festival in March '18

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and AJ is not involved, best news of all

2 headliners are supposed to be huge

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
If it's half as good as the UK festival it will be great. Wonder where they will run it. Eastern capitals would be the logical choice. Then again they may just run 1 festival out of 1 city like in the UK.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Download Festival about to be announced for Australia say ex-Soundwave staff
Written by Brandon John on Sep 25, 2017

Rumours have swirled for a while now about whether the massive Download Festival would be making its way to Australia as a replacement for the now-defunct Soundwave, which folded in 2015 under massive debts.

Now, two former Soundwave promoters have revealed that we can expect an announcement on the long-awaited Australian leg of Download within the next month, Music Feeds reports, with both Chris O’Brien and former Soundwave boss AJ Maddah taking to Twitter to discuss the plans.

O’Brien has pointed to “next month” as the timing of the announcement, while Maddah also places the announcement at “a few weeks” away.

tweet-1.jpg

tweet-2.jpg

Neither O’Brien (now General Manager Of Touring at Destroy All Lines) nor Maddah are working with Download, but are well-positioned to comment, and the claims line up with previous evidence pointing to an Australian edition of Download Festival.

While Download Festival Andy Copping ruled out a 2017 appearance, Music Feeds notes, he didn’t rule out the following year, and O’Brien points to a March 2018 date as likely, with the festival all but confirmed following Live Nation’s acquisition of an Australian domain name for the festival earlier this year.

At this stage, we’ll be twiddling our thumbs until next month rolls around and hoping to see another heavy music entry into a festival circuit that still yearns for the big international lineups of Soundwave.

After all, the most recent Download Festival lineup, which hit the UK and Spain, featured Aerosmith, Prophets Of Rage, Linkin Park, System Of A Down, Biffy Clyro and A Day To Remember on the same bill – check out the recap footage below.

Of course, Download Festival won’t be the only big-name U.S. festival hopefully making its way to Australia next year, with a local version of Alabama beach festival Hangout possibly headed to the beaches of the Gold Coast, and in the final stages of approval.

http://www.theindustryobserver.com.au/download-festival-australia/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bolzer announced as support for the Mayhem “De Mysteriis Don Sathans” shows in January- excellent start to the year!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
halfway through August and I'm yet to hear any albums this year that are obvious Album of the Year material :/

Took a while but I think my AotY is locked in now because Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper is an utterly amazing record. Best doom album I’ve heard in years, pretty unique and original in its sound (they don’t use guitars, just drums, 6 string bass and Hammond organ), monstrously heavy, and one of the most emotionally hard hitting things I’ve heard in years. Probably one for doom purists though as it’s one, single 83 minute piece (of hesitate to say “song” as it comprises several movements). But I seriously doubt I’ll hear anything to match it this year, though the new Ruins of Beverast and Blut Aus Nord records are strong, as are the ones I mentioned earlier.

Latest posts