What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

t-ba

Post Whore
Baseball in particular has made a trend of moving its stadiums closer to the downtown are in the last twenty years to improve fan experience before and after games. Cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati amongst others have used them to try and revitalise downtown areas.

Bit different when you can lock in like 60+ matchdays a year, a lot of them in prime outside weather but.

Timbo

Staff member
Bit different when you can lock in like 60+ matchdays a year, a lot of them in prime outside weather but.

A stadium that is hosting the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC, plus international games in all three codes, origins, finals and various exhibition games (when Premier League sides and the like tour) is looking at ~45 match days minimum. And Sydney's winter is better than spring and autumn in the American Midwest.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A stadium that is hosting the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC, plus international games in all three codes, origins, finals and various exhibition games (when Premier League sides and the like tour) is looking at ~45 match days minimum. And Sydney's winter is better than spring and autumn in the American Midwest.

Sfs will never get Origin or the GF...

If all the money goes to the Sfs, Anz will still be bigger so it will still be the Arlcs first choice

If all the money goes to the Sfs, Anz will still be bigger so it will still be the Arlcs first choice

The reality is we'll see ANZ remain as the main stadium. The only question is how much it will be improved.

There's no way all of the money is going to go to the SFS. They're talking 45k, which is still way too much but will leave $800-900m in the budget for ANZ. (Going off a spend of $500m for SFS)

Parramatta budget is said to be $300m for a 30k seat stadium, so let's say they went with a more appropriate size for the SFS @ 35k, youd reckon they could get it done for $400m

That would leave almost $1 billion for ANZ.

Even at 800-900m we're going to see a significant improvement for ANZ but it'll be a huge shame if it's only a 3/4 job.

Staggers me how the govt can't see that 45k is a silly number for the SFS. Gould was even advocating for 50k which would be absolutely nuts. SCG trust needs a massive overhaul, if not completely disbanding.

Timbo

Staff member

The scenario I'm referring to is the hypothetical where the bulk of the money goes to a new 65-70k stadium at Moore Park, at which point ANZ is on borrowed time.

The scenario I'm referring to is the hypothetical where the bulk of the money goes to a new 65-70k stadium at Moore Park, at which point ANZ is on borrowed time.

The weird thing is even the initial SCG trust proposal was only for 55k. Did they really think they could poach big events from ANZ with 27k less seats?

Agree though that if it was 65-70k it would take the premium events.

Are the scg trust the stadium management company on behalf of the govt?

Yeah.

It's always been considered a prestigious appointment, probably because you get to rub shoulders with some sporting greats.

Honestly though I feel it's an antiquated model. At the least there should be a reduction of board members, I think there's at least 12. Which for a group that manages just 2 stadiums is ridiculous.

Other problem is the opposing stadiums are simply managed by venues NSW. Which means the trust can lobby on behalf of their stadiums but the other group are public servants and can't lobby.

So another idea would be to put the western sydney stadiums under a trust arrangement too. But on a smaller scale than the current SCG trust model.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I expect they could borrow at least another 30 years without funding...

So we would get ourselves a wonderful white elephant at Moore Park and be stuck with this poorly designed ANZ that would still be our main venue.

Sounds like a pretty shitty option to me...

Calls to shrink Allianz Stadium

A push to have the capacity of Sydney’s Allianz Stadium reduced below 40,000 as part of major rebuild appears doomed.

It is understood the National Rugby League is among the codes which would not oppose a reduction in the ground’s capacity given the success the sport has enjoyed with AAMI Park in Melbourne, where the Storm have found a home.

But the plan appears likely to fall short on several fronts, the most notable that rival sports aren’t as convinced by the concept.

Sydney FC soccer club is the only tenant at the ground whose crowds are growing and it is unlikely to back a reduction in capacity given it hosts at least one game against bitter rival Western Sydney Wanderers each year. It is understood the Australian Rugby Union would also prefer the capacity of the ground to remain at least 40,000.

The ground’s major tenants had a meeting last week where it was agreed that they should form a united front on the future of Allianz Stadium.

The NRL has been pushing the NSW government to devote the lion’s share of their $1.6 billion commitment for stadium redevelopment to ANZ Stadium at Homebush Bay. They would also like to see Allianz Stadium upgraded, although not if it means the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium suffers. NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg communicated his code’s view during a recent meeting with NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

The state government is weighing up its options with regard to its stadiums strategy but crowds on the opening weekend of the finals highlighted why the NRL’s preference is to have Allianz Stadium modelled on the likes of AAMI Park.

Fewer than 20,000 people attended each of Saturday night’s and Sunday’s elimination finals between Manly and Penrith, and Cronulla and North Queensland. “I was a little disappointed in some of the crowds but I am very enthusiastic about the crowds to come in weeks two and three,” Mr Greenberg said yesterday.

“I would expect Parramatta fans this weekend at ANZ Stadium to come out in force to see their team play in a home final for the first time since, I think, 2009.

“I also expect a significant number in Brisbane to watch the Broncos and Panthers.”

Mr Greenberg also indicated he was reluctant to change the code’s stadium strategy, which dictates teams must play home finals at major venues.

“The policy gets set on an annual basis,” he said.

“We have spoken about this for a number of years.

“My simple view is that we should be talking the sport up, we should be finding ways to get more people to the games rather than finding excuses for them not to come.

“I have said this for a number of months, I will say it again. Sydney average crowds have not changed for the best part of two decades.

“That won’t change until we make a different decision on Stadium. We won’t change the difficulties we face on crowds in Sydney until we have a different stadium strategy.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...m/news-story/1b602699a95f60b5da7812e4999c240e

Seems like there's at least some talk behind the scenes that 45k is too big for Allianz. That's a good thing.

Even it it ended up at 40k that would be better than 45k.

Still for the life of me I can't understand the reluctance of the ARU & Sydney FC to reduce it beyond that. Sydney FC have 1 or 2 matches that gets more than 30k, Waratahs don't have any at the moment.

Someone needs to explain to them that whilst they might lose 10k fans a few times a year there's actually more opportunity to grow crowds in a more intimate venue.

Sydney FC for example were premiers and averaged crowds of 18k. If you take away the derby that averages slips to 16k. That leaves heaps of room for growth in a 30-35k venue.

Waratahs had a dismal year, averaged 14.5k.

I think 35k would be a great number all round.