What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in decline?

i think the future of the NRL is in serious trouble, especially in Sydney.

The crowds are diabolical. They seriously had to have counted everyone twice to get a total of 20000 and the Roosters game the other night and the 15000 they got at Manly/ Penrith was a terrible look for the game.
The Sharks/ Cowboys game this arvo looks like another disaster, why its not being played at Shark Park in front of 20000 rabid Sharks fans is beyond me.

But let's talk about referees.
The Storm game went the way we all expected with the Storm getting every call all game.
But the performance in the Manly/ Penrith game took the cake. Manly denied a perfectly legitimate try for an offside only the bunker could see and if Peachys try wasn't a knock on since 1908 I dunno what is.

Players, coaches and fans have been saying all year the referees should not have to guess weather it's a try or not and simply send it upstairs with an "I have no idea" call. But has the NRL done anything about such a simple fix to the laws of the game? Of course not, cause there appears to be no one running the game, despite the much vaunted "commission" being hailed as the savior of the game.

I often wonder if the plan isn't to let the crowds get as low as possible to justify moving teams, I know who's first on the chopping block.

RedVDragon

Juniors
i think the future of the NRL is in serious trouble, especially in Sydney.

The crowds are diabolical. They seriously had to have counted everyone twice to get a total of 20000 and the Roosters game the other night and the 15000 they got at Manly/ Penrith was a terrible look for the game.
The Sharks/ Cowboys game this arvo looks like another disaster, why its not being played at Shark Park in front of 20000 rabid Sharks fans is beyond me.

But let's talk about referees.
The Storm game went the way we all expected with the Storm getting every call all game.
But the performance in the Manly/ Penrith game took the cake. Manly denied a perfectly legitimate try for an offside only the bunker could see and if Peachys try wasn't a knock on since 1908 I dunno what is.

Players, coaches and fans have been saying all year the referees should not have to guess weather it's a try or not and simply send it upstairs with an "I have no idea" call. But has the NRL done anything about such a simple fix to the laws of the game? Of course not, cause there appears to be no one running the game, despite the much vaunted "commission" being hailed as the savior of the game.

I often wonder if the plan isn't to let the crowds get as low as possible to justify moving teams, I know who's first on the chopping block.
Yes I agree I can't see the state of the NRL the way it is with so many clubs in Sydney survive. It will change to regional based clubs. The only way the NRL will survive will be an increase in crowds. Let's not forget Greengrub and the committee needs to go.

Qdf

Juniors
Swans had a record crowd at the SCG yesterday
Well MURDOCH said AFL is the number one game in Australia,and he likes AFL.
That was after David Smith (ex Ceo of NRL stabbed him in the back & sold out to channel 9).Looks like he was right.
The stupidity of the NRL,they a killing the game for Him..

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Spot on the game is in decline and the inept management by crisis is of no help.I have loved the game all my life but now only watch the odd game,and then I turn off mainly due to the referees.
In no way am I a AFL recruit though as that game is just not my cup of tea.

Emu01

Juniors
The Nrl are pathetic! Why would they play all week 1 semi finals at Alliance stadium..

Just have home semis the first week. Then play week 2 in the bigger stadiums.

At least this way you avoid the disastrous situation the Nrl found themselves in. Sharks,Manly and Penrith fans refuse to travel for games.Cowboys bring no supporters with them..

Go back to home semis week 1 problem solved.. Greenberg has no idea how to run the game!

merahputih

Juniors
The ANZ Stadium is an embarresment during tv games. Even with 10,000 people it looks empty. And the NSW Govt wants to spend a billion bucks out of its fire sale of public assets to make it into a dedicated league/union/ soccer ground, while hospitals and schools are under staffed and underfunded.

St Tangles

Bench
The only game I like to go to the big stadiums is the Anzac Day match as it still has a home game feel to it although it's the Roosters home game as there is always more Saints supporters.

I don't attend our other home games at the big stadiums through out the year as they don't have the same feel.

I would however make an exception if we made the finals.

Old Timer

Coach
Poor crowd behaviour
Poor player behaviour
Poor refereeing
Poor management
Poor facilities
Poor access to players
TV control everything
The AFL have maintained a great family based atmosphere and make the game day experience pleasurable all round
Their game is suited to big stadiums and ours is not.

I couldn't give a f**k about the crowds.

The referees and The Bunker are a disgrace and a blight on the game.

Absolutely shameful how it's still such a dogs breakfast.

Reactions: Qdf

since77

Juniors
The biggest blight on the game today is the refereeing and bunker.

Foward passes, kick blockers, players dropping the call and gaining strip penalties for simply dropping the ball. No one stands on side anymore. Wrestling in the ruck. Billy Slater taking a dive 3 times a game and getting a penalty because he's Billy Slater.

The bunker - how many times have you seen a try scored only to then endure 60 seconds of replays to either ascertain what we all knew on first look or to come up with a decision that 99.9% of people disagree with. The ludicrous onus on referee to call try or no try and thus locking the bunker into that decision anyway.

Golden point another blight on the game. Why does a team that draws after 80 minutes then loses the field goal lottery get less points than the team flogged by 50 in 80 minutes?

And finally playing games in soulless stadiums instead of suburban grounds. I remember attending semi finals as a teenager in packed grounds. A half empty stadium last night was an embarrassment to the game.