What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in decline?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Have to say In regards to the bunker in todays game imo the Cowboys got the rub of the green against Sharks when they were awarded the penalty in front of the post to level it ......the Cowboys player lost the ball cold and it wasnt stripped but a poor carry......now whether your a Sharks fan or not like Barrett they have a right to be disappointed......at least this may shut Thurston and the North Qldrs up regarding theres a NSW conspiracy against them playing in the finals
I think the evidence suggests there maybe a conspiracy against all NSW teams bar Roosters, Parramatta were robbed no doubt while the rub of the green went to Nth QLD today.

Poor crowd behaviour
Poor player behaviour
Poor refereeing
Poor management
Poor facilities
Poor access to players
TV control everything
The AFL have maintained a great family based atmosphere and make the game day experience pleasurable all round
Their game is suited to big stadiums and ours is not.
Well said OT.
My son and I flew down from the Sunshine Coast last year to watch the dragons at win stadium. We played the cowboys and were lucky to get the win (it was the first time my son had been to a game the dragons had won).
I was filthy that the players didn't even do a victory lap and say G'day or shake hands with the kids. The kids are so important to the game and club. Without supporters where is the club?
Anyway, we're rusted on, but the NRL and administration of our club is making it very tough to follow.
My son plays Rugby, and it is heading down the same path with administration, however the referees are solid and still call players by numbers.
Keep the passion.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Look at the facts! Every semi we have played at alliance or old sfs we always had a near sellout or sellout games. We do draw the crowds when we are on. Perhaps the nrl can fix the farsical salary cap and then
1. The dragons will be more fairly stocked against the shifty clubs of the last decade.
2. The crowds will come back as we will bring them back.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Look at the facts! Every semi we have played at alliance or old sfs we always had a near sellout or sellout games. We do draw the crowds when we are on. Perhaps the nrl can fix the farsical salary cap and then
1. The dragons will be more fairly stocked against the shifty clubs of the last decade.
2. The crowds will come back as we will bring them back.
Youve hit the nail on the head re the farcical salary cap.....and thats all it is farcical as we all know it was brought in to stop the wealthy clubs buying all the good players....and yet for eg teams like The Brisbane Donkeys have a huge advantage with all the business people in their one team town supplying huge Third Party Deals..and the joke is its legal apparently...

thebigredv

First Grade
Discontent with referees is now at its peak and don't underestimate this factor in the low crowds. Cricket was improved a heap with the use of new technology but rugby league seems to have become worse and more contentious with every new bit of technology it adds. I am not old enough to really remember the days when fans just accepted what the ref said, maybe those days never really existed, but it's quite a predicament that the game finds itself in now. Hopefully there's a turn for the better but, the day is coming when a grand final is blatantly ripped from a deserving team, if 1999 wasn't this already.

Coffs dragon

Bench
All jokes aside, the NRL really is in decline and I think the blame lies in 4 areas.

1 - The game is now being run by people with no NRL backbone. They are losing their DNA.

The passion of rugby league is slowly being drained.
They are losing ground to aerial ping pong in many areas.
The game is headed in the wrong direction.
The Central Coast has been screaming out for a team, yet the powers that be, snub the area.

2 - Rule changes to cater to the Bleeding Heart Society, have watered down our once great game.

Real decent solid tackles get penalised straight away, nowadays. It's becoming a game of 'touch & tag'.
Scrum seemly are ok in Rugby but doctors rant & rave about league scrums, funny that. Rugby players have their heads trampled on but that is ok ........... yep, I can see that.

3 - Referees

The whole adjudication of the rules, which were once pretty much black & white, are now a constant grey area. You are allowed things one week and not the next.
Referees will hand out penalties to one side for most the game and then look to even it up towards the end of the game.

The bunker look for every reason NOT to give a try when it should be.
The bunker look to give a try, even if the ball is thrown over the line by the attacking player.
If the attacking player loses the ball over the line, as long as a pubic hair retouches the ball, it is a fair dink-um try ........... bullsh!t.

Try using common sense.
Let the refs adjudicate on the field and stuff the bunker ( just another level is mismanagement )
Do not let the tv cameras show replay after replay of a try scoring play. Move on.

4 - Upcoming Players

The players pool is dwindling because the NRL haven't reinvested in the nurseries of the game.
Before we had, big forwards, little halfbacks and skinny wingers and backs.
Now?
One size fits all.
Players can't tackle anymore.
Some type of players are good when attacking - useless when defending.
Every team is getting more of these type of players.
Its all heading in one direction.

Rant over.
Good post OKB & you nailed many key points in the decline of our game.
The constant changing of the rules and how the friggin wrestle has been allowed into the game, are my biggest gripes.
Then closely followed by the constant changing of jerseys depending on the wind and spin....home, away, retro, ladies round, Anzac, Nines, indigenous, comic heroes
FMD it's become a joke, I can't imagine Chook, Chang, Sticks, Puff etc. running out in anything other than the all white with the big RedV. I thought that was our famous BRAND. Dipshits are running & ruining our game!

Discontent with referees is now at its peak and don't underestimate this factor in the low crowds. Cricket was improved a heap with the use of new technology but rugby league seems to have become worse and more contentious with every new bit of technology it adds. I am not old enough to really remember the days when fans just accepted what the ref said, maybe those days never really existed, but it's quite a predicament that the game finds itself in now. Hopefully there's a turn for the better but, the day is coming when a grand final is blatantly ripped from a deserving team, if 1999 wasn't this already.

It'll be this year.
Stripping penalties are a joke, you check every other aspect of the game via video, penalties are vital today, just watch the Sharks/cowboys game, so why not have a quick check to see if he bloody dropped it cold or not.

Milking penalties are a joke, Slater falls over like he's been shot if the wind from a passing player hits him and always gets the call, I thought having an ex player in the box was supposed to fix this?

Knock ons are joke, what ever happened to "knocked back"?, unless of course your Peachy and knock the ball straight over the try line and score.

They seem to manage to get every decision wrong, every time.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
Even junior numbers are way down .. And they are struggling to get kids tp play .. Soccer numbers are the highest in junior sports I think.. This means these kids and parents begin following soccer and drifting away from leauge..I think it's a generational change happening now.. I can see it with my kids and nephews and nieces all wearing epl a leauge jerseys not many nrl ones anymore and our yards are full of soccer ball which have replaced the football over time

The game commenced to decline from the time Murdoch split the league world.

The competition was largely Sydney based. The attempt to nationalise the competition hasn't been successful. League has never been a national game and may never be. Just as in England where it is mainly played in the north of England.

Reality is the loss of North Sydney, the forced mergers of Illawarra, St.George, Wests, and Balmain drove a number of supporters away from the game.

"Poor refereeing" has added another nail in the coffin.

The insistence of the use of the larger grounds has eroded interest.

In the case of our club, failure to consistently wear the red V has disenchanted many supporters. Illawarra style jersey should be compulsory at all Wollongong home grounds and as an alternate away strip.

Nevertheless the support is still strong. It is frustrated by poor administration and coaching.

We are the sleeping giant of the league.

In 2010 when the team played Wests Tigers the crowd split was about 75/25 in our favour.

Admin pull your finger out and start performing. The "support" will return when you return the club to its local home grounds and install a first class coach.

dragonhysteria

Juniors
If you watch the semis from late 80's to mid 90's which were played at SFS I think you will find similar crowds as the weekend. It really is too easy to watch it at home. The only thing I would suggest is going back to playing them on a Saturday and Sunday Arvos with double headers in the first week if needed.

grouch

First Grade
Rugby league has been dying since birth. I've seen newspaper clippings sounding the death knell in the 1920's ffs

JDHD

Juniors
I love how people have said 'oh it would have been better at Brookie' well yeah it would have had a better atmosphere but you also would have turned away about four thousand people. What's worse?

Saint Angelo

Juniors
If you watch the semis from late 80's to mid 90's which were played at SFS I think you will find similar crowds as the weekend. It really is too easy to watch it at home. The only thing I would suggest is going back to playing them on a Saturday and Sunday Arvos with double headers in the first week if needed.

This Exactly !!
- Play all semis at 3pm on Sat & Sun and the crowds will return.
- ANZ to be used ONLY for the GF, Prelim finals and SOO.
- Dragons to play all home games at Kogarah & Wollongong. (apart from Anzac Day clash)

FlameThrower

Bench
This Exactly !!
- Play all semis at 3pm on Sat & Sun and the crowds will return.
- ANZ to be used ONLY for the GF, Prelim finals and SOO.
- Dragons to play all home games at Kogarah & Wollongong. (apart from Anzac Day clash)
Agreed and the Club makes a decision that means Red V jersey is prime home and away Jersey. With a reverse White V and Red jersey for Wollongong games.
Engage with St George community to bring crowds . Revamp Leagues Club to encourage football / family / punters all welcome. Each game needs to be a great game day experience with music, dancing and halftime entertainment. Also our home ground announcer and style is boring...bring atmosphere- rev up the crowd... most times it's like silence of the lambs...

Bench
It has been reported that to have a game at Kogarah it would cost $100 grand.
So we go play our home game at one of the big arena's.
Surely the club should negotiate with the council for a lower fee. If we don't play at Kogarah the council gets zero.

Old Timer

Coach
NRL was once the common working man's game.
Work O/T to 11.30 on Saturday and then home showered and to the game at 3pm.
My brother and I used to get to the game for the lower grades when we could after playing in the morning and mum and dad would meet us there with the esky, thermos and sandwiches.
The NSWRL, NRL, ARL, the media have all conspired over time to make rugby league the very thing it was never supposed to be, namely the game of the people with money who can come and go, wherever and whenever they like.
3pm kick off for the main game was the thing that everyone could work around and it was constant everywhere.
Clubs had either 6 or 7 day turnarounds with no favouritism for one more than the other.
Home ground advantage was non existent for finals footy (except for us as it was our second home) with everything at HQ and big crowds were always assured.
They tried to make this game elite and have come unstuck as its lifeblood is the tribalism they have sought to remove.
As I said in a previous thread anybody thinks the we actually won the super league war is mad in the head.