What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most boring/mundane NRL player sightings

moffla

Bench
Had a beer and 30 min yarn with a random bloke at a pub in QLD.

It turned out to be Matt Peterson. Felt stupid for not recognising him at first

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a few:
Crossing the road at Bourke St in Melbourne CBD and passed Steve Mortimer. I was wearing an old Balmain jacket and he gave me a thumbs up and he said "Sorry about 88!"

Cheeky merkin.

I chased after him and told him that he played schoolboy footy against my old man at Turvey Park and he was quite friendly and we had a brief chat before continuing on our ways.

Working in Chermside a long time ago and sold some cardboard boxes to Mal Meninga.

Met Wally Lewis getting into the lift at AAMI Park

yosemite

Juniors
Was on a flight out of Sydney to Byron where I saw Jason Nightingale( and his rather attractive other half )

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Great town, cool to see a footy coach in California!

It is, go every year for work. Truly bizarre seeing Robbo standing next to me. Just freaky.. i was wearing my Roosters jumper too but under a hoody as it was a bit brisk early morning. Got a few 'go the Roosters' call outs when i had it on display and had a good chat to a Rams fan who studied in Brisbane for 6 months and got into the NRL. Went to the NFL again last season but sadly my SF trip this year was in June.

gitano

Juniors
Too many to name. Played nsw cup until recently.
Bumped into Mini and SST near a Nandos recently. Good fellas

Incorrect

Coach
Saw Shane Webcke and a few other Broncos staggering around Seven Hills area a day or two after the GF win in 2006. Was about 7am on my way to work
Why on earth would they have been in seven hills I wonder? Seems completely random. You would have thought if they were celebrating in Sydney they would pick somewhere near the beach or city, not Sevo!

moffla

Bench
Why on earth would they have been in seven hills I wonder? Seems completely random. You would have thought if they were celebrating in Sydney they would pick somewhere near the beach or city, not Sevo!
They probs tried in a severely drunken state to ask the cab driver to take them to Surrey Hills

Diesel

Coach
Seven Hills in Brisbane

Incorrect

Coach
Seven Hills in Brisbane
To paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld....

"Another Seven Hills?"

B_DoL51W0AAPueH.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Most recent ones:

Jake Friend and Cordner standing outside the Star waiting for a cab.
Hannah Hollis at Martin Place
Jason Ryles in Flinders Street, Melbourne
Matt King at Brisbane airport

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Regularly see players out and about in the city and at the Races - closer to home used to see plenty of Parra/Penrith Players a Winsto Hotel/Fiddler/Brewery/Castle Hill RSL/In Parra etc

Couple of specific random ones that I can remember :

- 5 or so years ago on the same flight as Lote Tuquiri Sydney-Sunny Coast, he was by himself and acting incognito as possible.

- Late 2014 caught the same flight back from Bali as Dan Hunt, we were on the same row and my misses sat next to him. Snored like a mofo.

- Gus Gould and his family at Wet & Wild, thank god he was fully clothed

- Had Beers with Willie Mason, Reni Maitua and Anthony Tupou at the Coogee Bay Hotel about 10 years ago I was only 18-19.. Had a mutual family friend of Tupous... Always thought that Mason was a c*ckstain but he completely changed my mind after that day he was an absolute legend.

- After the Eels v Titans game a couple of years ago at Mudgee all the Titans players went out on the town and ended up in the same pub... was betting on the nags with Idris for a good hour, really good fella I knew then he had a bit of a hippie mentality.. same night also was playing the pokies with Takairangi (was playing for the titans) we smashed one machine got f*ck all then he went straight back in and won $700 odd bucks the merkin.

- Old man is a painter did The Pearces house at St Ives back in the 90's and Todd Greenbergs a few years ago when he was still at the Dogs.

- Most random mundane one I can remember was Luke Patton at Fox Studios by himself holding some shopping bags just staring into oblivion, only about 12 months ago. I remember thinking must be the exact same look he does in the bunker.

RockWheel

Bench
Jamal Idris buying sunglasses in Forster back in 2010.

Met some old bloke who played for Wests and played 2 tests for Australia in the seventies. Ran an oyster farm up on the north coast. Can't remember his name for the life of me.

magpie_man

Juniors
I've crossed-paths with stacks of NRL players over the years but here are a few of the more mundane meetings:

I walked past ET and his better-half, both looking like death warmed up, on Miller Street, North Sydney a few years ago - it was right around the time that all of his extra-marital shenanigans had come to light.

I walked past Greg Inglis and his partner in Bondi Junction Westfield a few years ago - a very tall human being.

I sat near Jarryd Hayne and a few of his mates at Nadia's Café at Westfield Parramatta a month or two before his foray into the NFL. I was there getting breakfast with my young daughter and she bumped her head on the our table at one point and began crying. Jarryd looked over and gave me a sympathetic look. I remember being surprised at what a big unit he was.

I was at a Café in North Rocks having lunch with a few mates a few years ago when Benji and a few of the Tigers boys strolled in - they had been training. I said g'day but they were pretty standoffish.

Nearly a decade ago I was having dinner with a bunch of girls in Kingston, Canberra when Trent Barrett and the whole Cronulla Sharks team strolled in. They had just played a semi against the Raiders that afternoon from memory. A lot of them were eyeballing a few of the girls I was with.

I was driving in front of Nathan Hindmarsh and his wife around 2004, trying to get out of the quagmire that is Leichhardt after a Tigers vs Eels game. He looked as peeved as I was.

roofromoz

First Grade
Steve Mortimer was at a Joint Regional Planning Panel a few years ago when the application was in for the current redevelopment works at Canterbury Leagues Club (I was there for another development application)... he's a lot smaller than I imagined he would be.

Sean Hampstead was a regular attendee for the Saturday night trivia at Toongabbie Sports Club about 10-15 years ago.

Latest posts