What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Smith

watatank

Coach
I'm curious - where did McWreckor learn his coaching trade? He was waterboy for Brown before Wayne came in 09, and waterboy at origin for Daley. What experience did he have (apart from the Illawarra league)?

Why the F%ck would they appoint him in the first place - let alone renew his contract for 2 years???? And the media continue to push this bulls*t that we finished 9th - which is about right. Why does he continue to NOT get the media scrutiny he deserves?

Coached at the Illawarra local league for 3 seasons, NSW Cup for 2 seasons, then assistant coach for 0.5 seasons. The rest is just being in and around the Dragons, Country and NSW teams in various roles, some even as maybe an assistant. Apparently he had done enough to make it seem as though he had credentials.

Life's Good

Coach
I'm curious - where did McWreckor learn his coaching trade? He was waterboy for Brown before Wayne came in 09, and waterboy at origin for Daley. What experience did he have (apart from the Illawarra league)?

Why the F%ck would they appoint him in the first place - let alone renew his contract for 2 years???? And the media continue to push this bulls*t that we finished 9th - which is about right. Why does he continue to NOT get the media scrutiny he deserves?

There is no scrutiny because we are no longer considered a factor when it comes to success. The media just accepts us as the plucky battler with the odd headline moment and nothing else. Essentially, the media, like our board, don't give a f*ck.

I think 99% here would agree that our roster is far more superior to the knights.
You would think so except we struggled to beat them at home and they beat us comfortably in the return match during season 2017.
They are no longer easy beats and they have a smart and competent coach with a much improved roster for 2018.

Coached at the Illawarra local league for 3 seasons, NSW Cup for 2 seasons, then assistant coach for 0.5 seasons. The rest is just being in and around the Dragons, Country and NSW teams in various roles, some even as maybe an assistant. Apparently he had done enough to make it seem as though he had credentials.
During his 2 years of NSW Cup scraped into the 8 and got knocked out week 1 and his 2nd season didn't make the 8 at all - finished 9th or 10th.
It is incredulous to me that with such a CV - we appointed this guy as the St. George 1st Grade Coach.
I don't know whether it is nepotism or stupidity or poor judgement but to think the Board sanctioned this appointment is hard to fathom.
The results reflect his coaching ability and just when we were getting over the shock of his initial appointment, they renew his contract for 2 more years!!
You can bring Hunt, Graham and half the QLD SOO team into our roster but the players need a sound, smart and technically astute coach in order to bring home the bacon.
I believe that the fans deserve much better.

Mary must be on peanuts. Its the only explanation I can fathom.

No money available for a quality coach that is not a yes man.

No surprise given the state of Saints leagues club. Same incompetent fools running the football club.

Mary must be on peanuts. Its the only explanation I can fathom.

No money available for a quality coach that is not a yes man.

No surprise given the state of Saints leagues club. Same incompetent fools running the football club.
If money was the main consideration I would at least be able to rationalize the situation however I think that is another red herring.
They had JD under their noses who was motivated and ready to take the top job at similar money to McGregor.
Demetriou didn't depart because he didn't come to terms, he left because he was overlooked.
They had options that were commensurate with their financial situation.
Better, more consistent results would have resulted in better membership, more bums on seats at games and better sales of merchandise.
So the cost of the coach is relative and should be about aptitude and should not be penny pinched anyway.
There is no logical reason why they appointed McGregor in the first place.
In my view 2017 was a totally wasted season - a decent coach would've had us playing finals footy and probably going deep into the finals.
Instead we capitulated in the worst possible way and finished our season embarrassed and with our tails between our legs.
Hardly does justice to our grand tradition as a club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Steve Price and Ivan Henjak learnt their trade under Super coach Bennett. What is their excuse.

As for Maguire learning his trade under Bellamy. So did Steve Kearney, actually Kearney was asistant to both Bellamy and Bennett and I think even Mary is a better coach than Kearney.

St Georgio

Juniors
Steve Price and Ivan Henjak learnt their trade under Super coach Bennett. What is their excuse.

As for Maguire learning his trade under Bellamy. So did Steve Kearney, actually Kearney was asistant to both Bellamy and Bennett and I think even Mary is a better coach than Kearney.

Stephen Kearney Coaching information
Club
Years
Team Gms W D L W%
2011–12 Parramatta Eels 42 10 1 31 24
2017– New Zealand Warriors 24 7 0 17 29
Total 66 17 1 48 26

I really can't understand how this guy is an NRL Coach..... PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Stephen Kearney Coaching information
Club
Years
Team Gms W D L W%
2011–12 Parramatta Eels 42 10 1 31 24
2017– New Zealand Warriors 24 7 0 17 29
Total 66 17 1 48 26

I really can't understand how this guy is an NRL Coach..... PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Both guys had distinguished careers at club and rep level.

Both considered to be "good blokes"

Misguided respect and Nepotism = Poor administrative decisions

Being a great player doesn't guarantee you will make a great coach.

Warren Ryan
Wayne Bennett
Craig Bellamy

All great coaches but ordinary players.

Exceptions

Harry Bath
Norm Provan

St Georgio

Juniors
Both guys had distinguished careers at club and rep level.

Both considered to be "good blokes"

Misguided respect and Nepotism = Poor administrative decisions

Being a great player doesn't guarantee you will make a great coach.

Warren Ryan
Wayne Bennett
Craig Bellamy

All great coaches but ordinary players.

Exceptions

Harry Bath
Norm Provan
Harry Bath
Coaching information
Club

1977–81 St. George 110 65 4 41 59% win

Norm Provan
Coaching information
Club
Years
Team Gms W D L W%
1962–65 St. George 81 66 2 13 81% win
1968 St. George 24 14 3 7 58% win - stupid 4 tackle rule!

Great to see our great club accepting mediocrity with McWreckor @ 47% win

Graeme Langlands also was a great coach with a 59% success ratio over 1972-1976 with a pretty ordinary side.

Disagree completely

Between 1972-1976 we were a top 4 side and were very close to winning a premiership.

Langlands, Smith, Goodwin, Reddy, Branson, Ferguson, Beath, Toga, Bowen, Sams, Fitzgerald.

Of our current back line who would hold his position against Langlands, Smith and Goodwin ?

Old Timer

Coach
Disagree completely

Between 1972-1976 we were a top 4 side and were very close to winning a premiership.

Langlands, Smith, Goodwin, Reddy, Branson, Ferguson, Beath, Toga, Bowen, Sams, Fitzgerald.

Of our current back line who would hold his position against Langlands, Smith and Goodwin ?
SF
I think the stats very clearly show what a great captain coach Chang really was.
Chang and Smithy were ageing and fadeing talismans from a bygone error and they had a few rising stars to work with but the rest were tradesman like at best.
Chang got the very best out of them and squeezed the lemon for every last drop
The 75 result was an abhoration but clearly you could see the rise and rise of Eaats on the back of youth and even better coaching but Saints were still competitive
Mc Fookknuckle is totally incapable of getting anything out of anybody and would have sunk Changa's sides to the bottom of the Mariana Trench

Latest posts