What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

RoosTah

Juniors
Ideally you'd bring in Perth in 2020 and brisbane2 2021 so you had the ninth game to sell either to test digital in 2021 or to include in the tv negotiations which will likely take place in 2021 and start in 2022.

I still favour NZ2 over Brisbane 2. Qld works fine with its current set-up, but NZ desperately needs a local derby and a separate franchise in the South would likely be well supported by all non-Aucklanders and be very motivated to show that a kiwi team can be successful.

When you look at the sporting landscape in NZ, it's not super different to here, it's just reversed. Whereas here we have the Qlders punching well above their weight and hating the south, over there the South punches well above their weight and hate the north - just look at the Crusaders in Rugby compared to their northern Aucklander brethren.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think we're all in agreement that a Perth team should come sooner but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've been waiting for 20 years for this to happen. If the wheels finally are in motion that's great. If 2023 is actually happening and not just pipe dreams then that's great I think.

Hopefully they announce it at least 2-3 years in advance to give Perth plenty of time to prepare. I think around the time origin is played would be perfect, keep the hype machine going

Personally I'll assume this isn't happening until we have an officiall announcement. Been waiting too long and heard too many promises and excuses to believe otherwise.

I still favour NZ2 over Brisbane 2. Qld works fine with its current set-up, but NZ desperately needs a local derby and a separate franchise in the South would likely be well supported by all non-Aucklanders and be very motivated to show that a kiwi team can be successful.

When you look at the sporting landscape in NZ, it's not super different to here, it's just reversed. Whereas here we have the Qlders punching well above their weight and hating the south, over there the South punches well above their weight and hate the north - just look at the Crusaders in Rugby compared to their northern Aucklander brethren.

The broadcaster want a 2nd Brisbane team and as demonstrated over and over again they get what they want.

Whilst I agree that we need a 2nd NZ team I'm ok with Brisbane coming first.

Personally I think a 2nd Brisbane team is a strong move strategically. Right now most sports that aren't the NRL are struggling there. Another Brisbane team would really hurt the AFL and potentially super rugby as well. Mainly AFL, the lions and suns are both losing lots of money. The last thing they need is another NRL side taking away fans and sponsors. It also means more NRL matches in Brisbane and more local derbies keeping the focus on the NRL.

That plus it's great for the broadcasters and provides a real rival for the broncos (I mean for fans and sponsorship dollars). I used to be more against a 2nd Brisbane side but now I think it might actually be a really good thing.

RoosTah

Juniors
The broadcaster want a 2nd Brisbane team and as demonstrated over and over again they get what they want.

Whilst I agree that we need a 2nd NZ team I'm ok with Brisbane coming first.

Personally I think a 2nd Brisbane team is a strong move strategically. Right now most sports that aren't the NRL are struggling there. Another Brisbane team would really hurt the AFL and potentially super rugby as well. Mainly AFL, the lions and suns are both losing lots of money. The last thing they need is another NRL side taking away fans and sponsors. It also means more NRL matches in Brisbane and more local derbies keeping the focus on the NRL.

That plus it's great for the broadcasters and provides a real rival for the broncos (I mean for fans and sponsorship dollars). I used to be more against a 2nd Brisbane side but now I think it might actually be a really good thing.

All those reasons make sense, but I'd counter that strategically NZ makes more sense for the following reasons:

1. NZ remains a huge talent pool that is utilised by many NRL clubs, but underperforms from a business standpoint; the Warriors support base remains highly south-Auckland centric and their administration has proved incapable of elevating the appeal of the club both on and off the field. In spite of this, the decision by the Panthers and Sea Eagles to take NRL matches to Christchurch this year showed that there is strong potential.

2. NZ is now the great Rugby League test rival of Australia, replacing the underperforming and poorly rubg England. Building the game there provides the NRL with both an additional source of TV revenue as the popularity of the NRL builds in NZ, whilst also adding increasing prestige to tests between the two nations – thus giving the sport a new “event” match to compliment Origin and the GF.

Trans-Tasman RL have been out-rating the Bledisloe for years, averaging 1 million+ viewers despite being treated as second order match by most involved. There’s significant room for improvement here and it’s an area the AFL have no capacity to replicate.

3. NZ TV revenue. Adding a new club in South Island would increase the profile of the NRL in NZ, which would increase the value of their TV rights by both providing an alternative source of NZ pride in the competition AND bolstering the depth of their national side contributing to our test environment as described above.

So whilst I get the reasons stated in support of Brisbane 2, I think there are more reasons to go to NZ first given it will bolster the game in more ways.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez AFL has put two teams in every city, including cities that don't want them, and we cant even decide if our second biggest RL city should have a second team. No wonder we are at where we are.

The NRL really needs 4 new teams- Brisbane2, Perth, Adelaide and Nz2, but it is so hamstrung by its structure, history and failures that we will be lucky to see 2 in the next decade.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
All those reasons make sense, but I'd counter that strategically NZ makes more sense for the following reasons:

1. NZ remains a huge talent pool that is utilised by many NRL clubs, but underperforms from a business standpoint; the Warriors support base remains highly south-Auckland centric and their administration has proved incapable of elevating the appeal of the club both on and off the field. In spite of this, the decision by the Panthers and Sea Eagles to take NRL matches to Christchurch this year showed that there is strong potential.

2. NZ is now the great Rugby League test rival of Australia, replacing the underperforming and poorly rubg England. Building the game there provides the NRL with both an additional source of TV revenue as the popularity of the NRL builds in NZ, whilst also adding increasing prestige to tests between the two nations – thus giving the sport a new “event” match to compliment Origin and the GF.

Trans-Tasman RL have been out-rating the Bledisloe for years, averaging 1 million+ viewers despite being treated as second order match by most involved. There’s significant room for improvement here and it’s an area the AFL have no capacity to replicate.

3. NZ TV revenue. Adding a new club in South Island would increase the profile of the NRL in NZ, which would increase the value of their TV rights by both providing an alternative source of NZ pride in the competition AND bolstering the depth of their national side contributing to our test environment as described above.

So whilst I get the reasons stated in support of Brisbane 2, I think there are more reasons to go to NZ first given it will bolster the game in more ways.

To cover this, id really say that we should be focusing on the Kiwis....

Expanding the ANZAC Test into a 3-match series would be huge for both the Kiwi and the Kangaroo brands as it would let the rivalry build over 3 weeks rather than just the random game we throw into the middle of the year now.

Id have all 3 matches played in NZ (Australia get enough RL) but we wouldnt be limited to any given locations or stadiums. The games could be played all across NZ depending on whether the NZRL think they would provide the most benefit.

We have seen how popular Origin and the Bledisloe have become using this format. It seems logical that RL in NZ would really benefit from a high profile national team more than another domestic club...

RoosTah

Juniors
To cover this, id really say that we should be focusing on the Kiwis....

Expanding the ANZAC Test into a 3-match series would be huge for both the Kiwi and the Kangaroo brands as it would let the rivalry build over 3 weeks rather than just the random game we throw into the middle of the year now.

Id have all 3 matches played in NZ (Australia get enough RL) but we wouldnt be limited to any given locations or stadiums. The games could be played all across NZ depending on whether the NZRL think they would provide the most benefit.

We have seen how popular Origin and the Bledisloe have become using this format. It seems logical that RL in NZ would really benefit from a high profile national team more than another domestic club...[/QUOTE]

I agree with expanding the series against the Kiwis, but I think a second South Island NRL team would feed into this to make it truly sustainable and give kiwis outside of Auckland a greater sense of ownership over their national side.

Currently, the game is far too Auckland centric, and so there desperately needs to be a team in another part of the country to both provide alternative NZ based pathways for Kiwi talent AND give all those kiwis that hate Auckland (i.e. all of them who don't live there) something to cheer for.

Perhaps it's because most Aussie don't get NZ, but having spent a fair bit of time there I can tell you that there is a serious divide identity wise with Auckland and the rest of the country, and for the game to reach its potential over there, the NRL needs an anti-Auckland identity there to give representation to the rest of the country.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And a second French team is already one teir below SL. They are doing all the right things, all it takes is one big international TV contract and sponsorship and they could be the premier RL comp in the world
Once they have a toe hold in the enormous North American sports market Rugby League here better watch out, otherwise all our best players will be going overseas.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Once they have a toe hold in the enormous North American sports market Rugby League here better watch out, otherwise all our best players will be going overseas.

Honestly, it might not be such a bad thing for the NRL to have some competition...

The last 100 years for RL in Australia was domestic competitions fighting for supremacy and trying to devour each other. Now that the NRL is the undisputed premier competition, they have become lazy and conservative.

Even if the Super League doesnt place teams in Australia to steal market share, a big american TV contract would, as you say, see players start heading to Super League. That kind of threat might be exactly what the ARLC need to pull their finger out.

If these North American Super League teams actually work out and start bringing in decent cash, moving Sydney teams to Perth and Brisbane would become the minimum just to keep up. NRL might need to mimics the Super League and start looking at teams in South Asia.

Fingers crossed...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

It would probably kill RL in Australia (given the NFL team could buy our best player with the money in their couch), but...

Given how closely related RL and Gridiron are, given how badly American Football is beginning to suffer from their head injury problems and given how RL is basically a safer version of Gridiron (no hits off the ball and no forward passes, so opponents only hitting you from the front) RL might have a window to move into the American market.

It only take 2 or 3 rule changes for American Football to become indistinguishable from RL, so its not to much of a stretch to see junior football and even higher level leagues in North America beginning to transition into something resembling RL.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you imagine a SL with Canada, American, engolish and French teams in it!
Perth should give up on the nrl and join as well!

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Andrew Webster has NFI. It would be nice to see the Crushers back though but not so much the mustard and teal colours.

Inkers75

Juniors
I have been surprised that there is no NRL team in Perth considering the potential fanbase they could achieve. It seems from other posts that NRL expansion can be a bit slow...

Stallion

First Grade
I have been surprised that there is no NRL team in Perth considering the potential fanbase they could achieve. It seems from other posts that NRL expansion can be a bit slow...

Very slow. In fact sitting on hands slow. A number of additional clubs could be easily added to the NRL however its seems to be a real issue for current administrators. Another side in Brisbane and reclaiming Perth is long overdue.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Any expansion for the NRL has to go hand-in-hand with the culling of some Sydney teams.

Stallion

First Grade
Any expansion for the NRL has to go hand-in-hand with the culling of some Sydney teams.

Is that so we can no longer enjoy rugby league as a major sport in this country? Great work champ. Are you on the payroll for other codes?