What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
"
Eels duo Nathan Brown and Kenny Edwards walk the line on the field — and Parra love them for it
a59930b85128352df15f32180fdcff42

THEY are the Parramatta Powderkegs — two players that live to intimidate and menace opposition players.

And they clearly love their work.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur will be relying on Eels forwards Nathan Brown and Kenny Edwards to negotiate that fine line between aggression and discipline in Saturday night’s sudden-death semi-final against the North Queensland Cowboys at ANZ Stadium.

Brown and Edwards have each found trouble on the field yet both refuse to rid themselves of the trait which makes them so feared — combativeness.

This fine line both players choose to tread could be the difference between advancing to the preliminary final against the Roosters or winning and losing.

KENT: Wrecking ball swinging at Parra

HAYNE: Eels may have ‘woken the beast’

Brown and Edwards are more than happy to walk the line. Picture: Brett Costello
Brown is the most penalised Eels player, having conceded 16 penalties. Edwards is Parramatta’s third-most penalised player with 13.

Conversely, Brown is averaging a stellar 31 tackles each game, Edwards has completed 30 tackle busts.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday, Brown and Edwards agreed they wanted to remain forceful yet controlled.

That is their challenge.

LISTEN! Fans are angry and confused: Referee decisions dominated a thrilling first weekend of the finals as the Sharks defence came to an end and the Eels showed they are premiership threats. The MONDAY BUNKER crew dissect the action.

You can download League Central podcasts via iTunes.

“I’m an aggressive player, 100 per cent. I like to play the game as hard as I can,” Edwards said. “If I can put someone off their game, I will try and do it.

“Trying to find that line (between aggression and discipline) is something I have worked on over the past few weeks.

“When you do play the game hard, it’s hard to control sometimes. Sometimes I let my discipline get the better of me. But I have to watch my discipline especially against a side this weekend which prides itself on discipline.

“Over the last few weeks, I have tried to bring energy and keep my discipline. That is part of my job. It’s what I bring to the team, energy.

“My job is to try and lift the boys when I can. We play well when our discipline is strong. My game has to be disciplined more than anything this weekend.”

Brown has also endured some tough times. He was described in the media last year as a “grub.”

“Everyone is going to have their own opinion but you don’t want to be known as that sort of player,” Brown said.

“You want to be known as a tough, aggressive player, not known as those things they said.

“You have to learn from it but you can’t take it on board otherwise it can affect your game. All that is in the past now. Moving forward, I just want to be professional.”

And the robust lock has certainly turned around his discipline and public image.

“This year I’ve been really good,” Brown said. “The experience we got from last week (against Melbourne) was huge for us.”"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/985ab0e51adcdba26da844c4194dbb25

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gower was on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning.

He speaks very well but gave the stereotypical cliched answers. What worried me though was that twice he made reference to the prelim-final against the roosters... then quickly realised what he had said then backtracked with the usual but we aren't thinking about that yet we need to beat the Cowboys first yada yada.

Just goes to show they definitely are thinking about next week already, as much ays you try not to its only natural your mind wanders. I just hope the merkins turn up to play this Saturday and get it done.

Just Listened to the interview and don't think Gower really suggested he was thinking to far ahead to the roosters game:

- he mentioned they would love 40k supporters to show up this week to help them make it to the Gf qualifier against the Roosters
- he then said that they have tough job this week against a tough opponent and they aren't looking to far ahead, but another week off will help French.

That was the only mention of the roosters.

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/l7UXes.mp3

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Just Listened to the interview and don't think Gower really suggested he was thinking to far ahead to the roosters game:

- he mentioned they would love 40k supporters to show up this week to help them make it to the Gf qualifier against the Roosters
- he then said that they have tough job this week against a tough opponent and they aren't looking to far ahead, but another week off will help French.

That was the only mention of the roosters.

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/l7UXes.mp3

Yeh don't get me wrong its not as if that's all he was talking about but I still didn't like how we specifically mentioned it without really being prompted

84 Baby

Referee
To be bound, would that mean the player needs both arms around their teammate?
No one in an NRL scrum is bound. At best they have a lazy arm over the bloke next the them.

Scrums are a joke.
#CAM17wankfest is #looknohands at lock. Sorry that's wrong... he does get a Tyrone Peachey fingertip on the 2nd rower's leg. That'd be the same 2nd rower's leg that Cronk feeds the ball between. #cammyrulesfootball

But thanks NRL for highlighting King undoing a shoelace. f**king morons

natheel

Coach
Yeh don't get me wrong its not as if that's all he was talking about but I still didn't like how we specifically mentioned it without really being prompted
He only said we need the fans there to help us get into the next week. I don't think anything was wrong with it.

forward pass

Coach
I still have nightmares about 2005.

I don't think I've been as much of an eels fan since that day. That performance did me in!

I went to my in-laws place on the morning of the game, and his neighbour knocked on the door with a stack of free tickets in a corporate box which they could not use for some reason to see if we wanted them.

I went out there with my son, father in law, brother, brother in law, his kids. My wife might have been there - I can't remember. Magnificent seats on half way, free food and grog- everything.

Then that f**king Wagon runs up out of the line to tackle Bowen (he is kidding) and then the day deteriorated after that. Way to f**k up a great day Parra.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The fact that we got beat 29-0 on that day made me so depressed for a while. Probably the quietest train ride coming home as opposed to the loudest coming into the ground. So much talk about us playing the Tigers in the big dance. I actually thought after 10 or so minutes when we attacked the line so many times we're a big chance. Then the missed tackle was the turning point and after that just weren't in the game.

84 Baby

Referee
I went to my in-laws place on the morning of the game, and his neighbour knocked on the door with a stack of free tickets in a corporate box which they could not use for some reason to see if we wanted them.

I went out there with my son, father in law, brother, brother in law, his kids. My wife might have been there - I can't remember. Magnificent seats on half way, free food and grog- everything.

Then that f**king Wagon runs up out of the line to tackle Bowen (he is kidding) and then the day deteriorated after that. Way to f**k up a great day Parra.
Well I think clearly it was your fault. Nothing that good comes without a price.
The only way to rid the curse is for you to buy identical tickets but have to give them up to isaiah as you will be watching replays of Penrith games all night with Hindy111

Bazal

Post Whore
Honestly the only thing that has ever really dampened my support is the salary cap thing. Yeah there have been times I haven't watched games as religiously or whatever but that is as much to do with us being shit to watch over recent years as anything.