What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Smith

JDHD

Juniors
How many times are we going to have a thread that descends into 'sack mary'? This is, like, the fifth one this week. He's not going anywhere and there aren't any better replacements available.

JDHD

Juniors
come on mate
McGuire and Hasler are close to 60% and T Smith is over 65% win in SL, all these 3 guys a far more superior to MCWRECKOR!
Maguire is 55.6%, unless you only count the last three years in which case it's 42%.
Same with Des, it's 56.8% unless you only count the last three years in which case it's 50%.
Mary is at 46.5% for the last three seasons with far weaker rosters than those two. There's no noticeable difference, it's basically a margin of error.

St Georgio

Juniors
Maguire is 55.6%, unless you only count the last three years in which case it's 42%.
Same with Des, it's 56.8% unless you only count the last three years in which case it's 50%.
Mary is at 46.5% for the last three seasons with far weaker rosters than those two. There's no noticeable difference, it's basically a margin of error.
NO WORRIES MATE JUST KEEP ON KEEPING MCf**kWIT ALL GOOD, JUST DON'T EXPECRT ANYTHING TO CHANGE..... HAPPY DAYS!

JDHD

Juniors
Just so we're clear, I don't want McGregor as the coach. It was a mistake to sign him in the first place, and we should have bent over backwards to get Cleary as our coach. If I'm being as generous as possible, McGregor is similar to Jason Taylor in that he is, at absolute best, an assistant coach and even then not who I'd pick.

The problem is that I don't feel that either Hasler or Maguire are an upgrade at this stage, and Tony Smith is never leaving the UK so why are we doing this thread again?

JDHD

Juniors
NO WORRIES MATE JUST KEEP ON KEEPING MCf**kWIT ALL GOOD, JUST DON'T EXPECRT ANYTHING TO CHANGE..... HAPPY DAYS!

Don't bring stats to a conversation if your response when they're contested (I don't think I really made a great argument against you) is to go all caps.

St Georgio

Juniors
Don't bring stats to a conversation if your response when they're contested (I don't think I really made a great argument against you) is to go all caps.
All caps I was rushing, bcoz working!
Hasler and McGuire have gone stale, but at knew clubs they will thrive, just like bennett with us in 09-11!

Old Timer

Coach
In actual fact to give proper relevancy to this debate there are many things to consider.
  1. The draw each club has during the year. We had a soft draw this year and came up short whereas other teams might have come up short but had much harder draws.
  2. The injuries incurred (especially to spine players) and SOO representation during the season has a huge effect on results.
No doubt there is some waxing and waining in all coaches figures especially when they have been at it for a long time but on a prima facie case 2 people have won premierships and one has not and that speaks volumes as to who has achieved and who has not.
Often coaches best results are early on in their tenure and again it is evident that Mc Fookknuckle comes up short here as well.
Interesting that Dean Pay and Jim Dymock are being bandied around as possible NRL coaches and how long have they been doing their apprenticeships and also noting Dymock had a small time as caretaker but went straight back to lower grades to learn the trade?
There is no justification for Mc Fookknuckle being given or retaining the job.

grouch

First Grade
Fiddling with the stats like this is cheeky at best and misleading at worst.

The only stat that counts is the number of wins we had this season.

Unfortunately we faded badly during the last 17 games.

Squad has continued to improve each year since 2015 but the end result has been the same.

The coaching staff have performed poorly over the past 3 years.

Tony Smith should be approached immediately.

Mary back to water boy.

Hornby and Young to Orange peelers.

Life's Good

Coach
Just so we're clear, I don't want McGregor as the coach. It was a mistake to sign him in the first place, and we should have bent over backwards to get Cleary as our coach. If I'm being as generous as possible, McGregor is similar to Jason Taylor in that he is, at absolute best, an assistant coach and even then not who I'd pick.

The problem is that I don't feel that either Hasler or Maguire are an upgrade at this stage, and Tony Smith is never leaving the UK so why are we doing this thread again?
I totally get where you are coming from as I am sure most on here do. In a way I agree that the descent of most threads into coach bashing isn't the most creative to read. It's just a clear indication of anger, frustration, helplessness brought on by a club seemingly content with what our coach contributed. I,for one, am running out of ways to describe the sh*tness of our coach. I'd say by the end of this month I will be clear of this and hopefully move on to more positive and enlightening levels of discussion but for now, our coach sucks a*se!

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
The only stat that counts is the number of wins we had this season.

Unfortunately we faded badly during the last 17 games.

Squad has continued to improve each year since 2015 but the end result has been the same.

The coaching staff have performed poorly over the past 3 years.

Tony Smith should be approached immediately.

Mary back to water boy.

Hornby and Young to Orange peelers.
I dont care for stats , I dont care if we win or loose 7 in a row , I dont care how we get there as long as we do, in the end its about playing finals footy and we DONT get there , and have not for 2 years .....

Mary has a win loss of 46.5% unless you take the last 5 months into account whereby his win loss ratio is only 35%.
3 years finished 8th, 11th and 9th so the win loss ratio is incidental.
You can play with figures all you like but please don't mention the quality of the roster.
It was plenty good enough and more than compared with Souths and Canterbury.
Started to slide and had no clue as to how to arrest it.
In terms of knowledge, experience and pedigree, you cannot compare McGregor to Hasler and Maguire.