What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week 2 - Eels v cowboys

oldmancraigy

Coach
I was only 11 at the time and the only thing I remember from this game was Daniel wagon racing up out of the line to put pressure on Bowen and they scored because of the gap created in the defensive line.

Yeah, it was like the textbook play on how not to defend Bowen.
The whole team had a brain explosion that day.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
I was only 11 at the time and the only thing I remember from this game was Daniel wagon racing up out of the line to put pressure on Bowen and they scored because of the gap created in the defensive line.

Same age as me champion i was 11 too. The friday before the game was footy jersey day so every one at school had a parra or dragons jersey because it seemed it was going to be an eels dragons grand final.

I remember getting the train in and discussing with mum and dad about how we were going to get grand final tickets i was that confident.

Incorrect

Coach
that was as bad as the 1998 one against the Dogs.
If we do that again this weekend i don't think I'll ever recover.
I've got a mate who basically went off league altogether after that 2005 Prelim.... He was at the Eels/Dogs Prelim in 1998 and was like us all at the end of that one, absolutely shattered. He's a bit of a lippy fella and was giving it to a Bulldog fan mate of ours that day when we were 16 up or whatever it was. He copped it deluxe when the Dogs ended up winning....

He persevered and was left disappointed again in the 2001 GF.... Come 2005, there was a bunch of us out on the Saturday night watching the Tigers/Dragons Prelim..... When the Tigers won that night, he was wooping it up, telling everyone the premiership was in the bag, there was no way the Tigers would beat us in the big one.... And then Sunday happened.....

That was the end of his rugby league following... He was always a soccer fan (Man U) anyway so he just started concentrating on EPL after that - the Eels left him broken-hearted I think.... To make it worse, he's now a GWS season ticket holder.... he never follwed the game until they entered the comp....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My sister was a mad keen Eels fan until that game in 1998. She was gutted. That kind of capitulation was unforgivable for some and rightly so. f**k every merkin who played in that game. Anyway it was about the same time she discovered boys so that probably helped her move on.

Anyway she's in her mid 30s now and back on the Parra bandwagon so old habits die hard. Her kids go for Parra too.

Stevie

Bench
My sister was a mad keen Eels fan until that game in 1998. She was gutted. That kind of capitulation was unforgivable for some and rightly so. f**k every merkin who played in that game. Anyway it was about the same time she discovered boys so that probably helped her move on.

Anyway she's in her mid 30s now and back on the Parra bandwagon so old habits die hard. Her kids go for Parra too.

Its funny imagining you with a sister. I often wondered if you were some sort of AI with a focus on upsetting people that take themselves too seriously.

Tooooks

Bench
I was watching the '98 prelim on my own. I turned the TV off before they kicked the conversion to even the score. I knew we were gone. To this day I have not watched the rest of that game and probably won't until we win the comp.

For some reason, losing a preliminary final is worse than losing the big one.

Noise

Coach
I was watching the '98 prelim on my own. I turned the TV off before they kicked the conversion to even the score. I knew we were gone. To this day I have not watched the rest of that game and probably won't until we win the comp.

For some reason, losing a preliminary final is worse than losing the big one.

Yep, the lead up to a grand final is f**king awesome and getting there is a huge effort.

Noise

Coach
Enough of the negative talk. I've only recently got out of therapy for the footy period covering 97-05. Pump up merkins!!

Alright. Positivity!!! So some of you may know that I have a wedding to go to on the prelim (if we make it). I am prepared to get in everyone's bad books by leaving and coming back.

The reception is 20min walk from Allianz (I reckon 10 if I run). Reception starts at 6, I hang out till 7:40, run to Allianz, watch the game, run back by 10pm. I will leave the girlfriend at the wedding as an alibi. Fool proof!!!

@Happy MEel is being a pussy and won't do it. Everyone get stuck into him!!!

Happy MEel

First Grade
Alright. Positivity!!! So some of you may know that I have a wedding to go to on the prelim (if we make it). I am prepared to get in everyone's bad books by leaving and coming back.

The reception is 20min walk from Allianz (I reckon 10 if I run). Reception starts at 6, I hang out till 7:40, run to Allianz, watch the game, run back by 10pm. I will leave the girlfriend at the wedding as an alibi. Fool proof!!!

@Happy MEel is being a pussy and won't do it. Everyone get stuck into him!!!
In my defence I'm much more liked by the family so my presence will be sorely missed. @Noise they could take or leave.