What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - User name & Pic

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yeah nice thread!

We spend a fair amount of time expressing our views on our beloved Dragons to each other so it's cool to get to know a little about each other.

Well I'm Dragsters because I have loved the MIGHTIES for life and I drove a Drag Racing car for over 20 years, the latest of which covered the quarter mile in 6 seconds at around 200mph!

I drive like a nana on the street though, far too dangerous out there!

As for my avatar, well as a kid I loved the Scanlens footy cards and I thought this pic was a beauty.

GO THE MIGHTIES!!!
Long time ago I was in the pit crew at the showgrounds speedway with a mate of mine ...his Dad and Uncle used to race their midgets there. It was an offenhauser..on the dirt circuit it could bloody fly ..obviously not as quick as you fellas....takes balls to drive those drags...maybe you might be interested in an assistant coaching role.......you maybe able to help some of our blokes grow some...........Len Brock was one of their drivers.....probably before your time though

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes i witnessed both Cockey Raider & Lucky Creed on many occasions. Mainly Friday nights at Harold Park..great champions..
Yes my mum was a character if she didnt think one V. Frost was trying hard enough she would go to the fence and give him a piece of her mind......Lucky Creed was owned by Merv Wanless very big in Qld in the wrecking business

Frank Facer

First Grade
My user name is my first name and the first initial of my surname.

I chose my avatar because it had the St George and dragon I remembered as a kid.
I like your avatar, it is perfect. It has the St George logo of St George slaying the dragon on the shield, similar to the emblem that we had in the 1980's and 90's until we merged with Illawarra and it has the St George cross behind it. I was actually looking for something like that when I was choosing mine.

I also like the old emblem that was just red and white, that we had during our 11 premiership rein.

Last edited:

Dragon66

Juniors
My user name comes from the fact that in 1966 as a 15 year kid I was sent away to a boarding school in Bowral. As a quiet shy type I would go to the school hall every Saturday afternoon and watch the Match of the Day broadcast live at 3 o'clock on the ABC. It was on an old B&W TV sitting high on a shelf in a corner of the hall. By the end of my first year at school I was hooked. Smith, Gasnier, Clay, Langlands, Walsh, Raper etc Those were days!

I live in the country and very rarely get to see many games live (My wife is President of thee Anti-Football League, or at least she should be) but I have attended every Dragons GF since then except 1977 when I was in the Europe travelling but I found my way to the Aussie Embassy in Rome just so I could find out the score. Almost divorced before I got married!

My biggest disappointment is that the standards of the club have fallen so low n comparison to the standards of the better clubs in the current competition. And I blame McGregor and am very pessimistic going forward even with Hunt and Graham in the team. I hope I'm wrong, but I wasn't wrong this year which is why I can't renew my membership until there is a move away from the old boys club.

Dragsters

First Grade
Long time ago I was in the pit crew at the showgrounds speedway with a mate of mine ...his Dad and Uncle used to race their midgets there. It was an offenhauser..on the dirt circuit it could bloody fly ..obviously not as quick as you fellas....takes balls to drive those drags...maybe you might be interested in an assistant coaching role.......you maybe able to help some of our blokes grow some...........Len Brock was one of their drivers.....probably before your time though

Yeah nice. Those midgets do look like fun to drive. The original drifters hey?

Hopefully with Graham there now they might grow some and man up for the full 80...

Dragons 09

Juniors
I use to lurk around here a bit over the years hoping to read some good news rumors about the club, but never bothered to join and contribute as i was probably just too pessimistic with regards the way the club was being run.

Then it was announced in 2008 that we had actually signed a real coach for the 2009 season and beyond. The light was switched on, sanity seemed to be prevailing, hope had returned, the new coach was actually bringing some of his own team with him and assholeing some of the more incompetent impostors that had been hanging around the team for far too long and he had even pried recruitment away from the pretenders within.
HALLELUJAH, we have turned the corner, 2009 is the start of something great (Hence the user name, Dragons 09), i really thought we were finally back on track and destined to be a powerhouse again. As for the avatar, i just typed "image of a dragon" into a google search and that was the first thing that came up, nothing to see here.

And here we are, 8 years on, and the primary incompetent impostor that was assholed by the real coach who delivered us our first premiership in 4 decades, is now our coach and the old boys brigade is stronger than ever. Huh, go figure!:rolleyes:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My is .
The dragon part is because I have always been a dragons supporter .
As my dad had followed them from when they entered the comp.
And my granddad play 1st grade with glebe and frank burge.
Samy is a nickname I have been called most of my life.
61 part is because that was the first premiership that I was taken to see the mighty dragons win.
( not that I remember It as I was 1 years old).
But I have seen every grand final we have been in since.
With 77 and 79 being great time.

TruSaint

Referee
My is .
The dragon part is because I have always been a dragons supporter .
As my dad had followed them from when they entered the comp.
And my granddad play 1st grade with glebe and frank burge.
Samy is a nickname I have been called most of my life.
61 part is because that was the first premiership that I was taken to see the mighty dragons win.
( not that I remember It as I was 1 years old).
But I have seen every grand final we have been in since.
With 77 and 79 being great time.

Great story mate.. Nice

hazzbeen

Bench
Hazz easy enough , first name comes from there , the been have played a bit of footy in my time , with and against the likes of G Young , R Ayliffe , S Morris , K Rugg , B Hethrington , to name a few ... Been coached at the time by K Goldspink , T Branson ... As for the Icon Thought the Enter the Dragon ( not a big Lee fan but did like his movies ) just liked the intro .....

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Hazz easy enough , first name comes from there , the been have played a bit of footy in my time , with and against the likes of G Young , R Ayliffe , S Morris , K Rugg , B Hethrington , to name a few ... Been coached at the time by K Goldspink , T Bronson ... As for the Icon Thought the Enter the Dragon ( not a big Lee fan but did like his movies ) just liked the intro .....

Nice... love it..

Dragons 09

Juniors
Hazz easy enough , first name comes from there , the been have played a bit of footy in my time , with and against the likes of G Young , R Ayliffe , S Morris , K Rugg , B Hethrington , to name a few ... Been coached at the time by K Goldspink , T Bronson ... As for the Icon Thought the Enter the Dragon ( not a big Lee fan but did like his movies ) just liked the intro .....

Nice one mate, a few south coast boys in that lot, sounds like you might have had a stint with Collies around the mid 70's?

Old Timer

Coach
Used to love the show ground speedway especially the solo bikes.
Jim Airey, Nigel & Eric Boocock, Greg Kentwell, Ken McInlay, Johnny Boulger to name a few and of course the test matches v the poms were fantastic nights.
The wood chop at the easter show was another terrific event also with test matches v the Kiwis and the Poms and of course the greatest thing of all was the Dragons playing at 3pm on Sat at the SCG.
Whilst getting old is a shit thing at times, those moments are totally irreplaceable so am rather glad some days that I am an old timer.