What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backline Solutions for 2018 all about selection bravery

epDragon62

First Grade
If Dufty doesn't resolve his "Quinlan-esque" problems of: a) allowing the ball to bounce, and b) taking the option of passing first instead of taking a "kick return", he shouldn't last the 2018 season.

Due to his reluctance to bring the ball back strongly, in addition to a lack of bulk/height, Dufty would be an unmitigated disaster on the wing.

Dugan will be missed.
Dufty caught plenty of bombs and I'm confident Mary told him to pass at the back.

epDragon62

First Grade
Good points. Lafai has a lot of potential and had some very good moments this season. However I believe he lacks consistency and needs to learn to be more selective with his offloads. He has a lot of silly errors in him.
If the team as a whole plays better Lafai will shine. Too often this year he tried to do too much because we were going nowhere in attack.

Carlton

Juniors
We were also leading the comp with Mcrone at halfback. lol

We had Dugan for 4 and half years and made the semi's once while he was playing for us. His tally of tries and try assists has always been one of the worst in the comp. He is also injury prone. He would be one of the slowest fullbacks in the comp and he still has trouble passing the ball. Dugan has been handicapping our attack for the last 4 years and taking up too much cap space. We will be better off without him.

Very selective generalisation about Dugans stats, what about metres run, kick return metres run, tackles made, try saving tackles, cleaning up kicks, tackle busts. Oh, that's right they are all unbelievably good so we shouldn't mention them.

And in that four and a half years he is about the only Australian, Origin player we had. Not only playing origin but winning MOM. Dugans stats at fullback this year are much better than Dufty's (and I am not saying Dufty is crap).

BennyV

Referee
We will definitely miss Dugan, but it was time to move on.

Dufty will start fullback, whether or not he lasts the year is another question but Mann is a first-grade ready backup and with another half season oF NSW Cup Field might be ready for a start there.

Nighty has to go. Thanks for 2010 Jase, but time to hang it up. Lafai himself is fine, he's got a very good fend, step and offload and with a quick winger outside him, he'll go up another level. Gut tells me Nene would actually show some worth on that edge, but again, Mann fits the bill to start on the wing too.

Right centre is tough. Aitken may finally come into his own with Hunt and Dufty in the team, but personally I'd love to see Herbert get a crack. Whoever it is, they need to own the spot.

Likewise, right wing. Nene did a lot of good and with Mann and Dufty in the back 3, we do need the big body. Just needs a boot up his arse!!! Next in line would be Garrick, then Lomax. The more I think of it, the more I laugh at the ridiculousness of Field playing wing!

I'd be hoping to see:
1. Dufty [Mann first drop]
2. McDonald (L) [Mann first drop]
3. Lafai (L) [Mann first drop]
4. Aitken (R) [Herbert first drop]
5. Garrick (R) [Lomax first drop]

However, anyone thinking we won't see the Dufty, Flo, Lafai, Aitken, McDonald run out in Round one is delusional.

giboz71

First Grade
Aitken is a funny one. He's actually deceptively quick and strong for a centre. Had a few run away tries this year, against Manly and Cronulla come to mind. In our slow as shit backline, that was definitely a highlight (along with Sims try against Penrith).

If someone can just teach him to set up his winger and improve his defensive reads, he's a good option at right centre. But agree, if he's not up to it, Herbert needs to be given an opportunity. And Zac Lomax needs to be blooded in NSW Cup quick smart. He may even be an option later in the year.

pjljmjjj

Juniors
If Dufty doesn't resolve his "Quinlan-esque" problems of: a) allowing the ball to bounce, and b) taking the option of passing first instead of taking a "kick return", he shouldn't last the 2018 season.

Due to his reluctance to bring the ball back strongly, in addition to a lack of bulk/height, Dufty would be an unmitigated disaster on the wing.

Dugan will be missed.
I think you will find he has been told to pass for kick returns and I am pretty sure he has taken 90% of the balls kicked to him on the full whether they are bombs or in general play. Stats are not everything but he has done pretty well after only 7 games,.
Games - 7 tries - 3 total runs- 88 total metres - 822, Line breaks - 8, try assists - 3 off loads -6 , tackles - 21 missed tackles 8 errors -3

BennyV

Referee
Aitken is a funny one. He's actually deceptively quick and strong for a centre. Had a few run away tries this year, against Manly and Cronulla come to mind. In our slow as shit backline, that was definitely a highlight (along with Sims try against Penrith).

If someone can just teach him to set up his winger and improve his defensive reads, he's a good option at right centre. But agree, if he's not up to it, Herbert needs to be given an opportunity. And Zac Lomax needs to be blooded in NSW Cup quick smart. He may even be an option later in the year.
I get the feeling Lomax is going to jump the queue pretty quickly when given a chance...

FlameThrower

Bench
We'll throw these prospects in during preseason & at Auckland Nines.. if they are good enough and can handle it - why not ? We seem to take an age to bring these guys through. Dragons signed up a swag of these young guns... better start seeing them being trailed or in the mix at least.
Does anyone remember Luciano what happened to him, 3 months of dragged out negotiations and was not even sighted anywhere near FG??

giboz71

First Grade
We'll throw these prospects in during preseason & at Auckland Nines.. if they are good enough and can handle it - why not ? We seem to take an age to bring these guys through. Dragons signed up a swag of these young guns... better start seeing them being trailed or in the mix at least.
Does anyone remember Luciano what happened to him, 3 months of dragged out negotiations and was not even sighted anywhere near FG??

No Nines next year.

ALSGI

Bench
No Aukland 9's next year mate, but agree re giving the youngsters a decent crack, especially where we need them the most - backs.

Mr Red

First Grade
We need 1 strike centre and get rid of lafai.
We need 1 strike winger an get rid of McDonald.

Having aitken at right centre would compliment a strike left centre.... one attacking centre and one rugged defensive centre has proven to be a successful combination..
The rest is ok as is...

Reddragon

Bench
We're talking Aitkin who runs out of the line leaving huge gaps all the time and who never, ever passes the ball, right?!

Frank Facer

First Grade
imagine aitken & koroibete linking together on the right edge. lafai played well until round 12 than the wheels suddenly fell off, he isn't the problem McDonald is.

Koroibete would not be getting much ball, playing outside of Aikten. Aikten is not a centre. He is a backrower, who is too small to play first grade in that position.

Jbjbjb40

Juniors

Dugan will be missed.
No way. Mann to fullback for me. Much more modern fullback skills and at least puts his body on the line. Dufty not big or ballsy enough yet.
Dugan is a great winger if you ask me. Can't pass or set up others which is crucial for fullbacks now.

BrissyRedV

Bench
There is probably 3 spots that are the most contentious in Marys mind next year. One would be FB and 2 bench spots with 1 being the utility. IMO I think there should be a review of the centre position and wing position as well.

At FB, I am happy with what I saw from Dufty, so he gets my vote to stay in the 1. Aitkens centre position I think needs a rethink. I would like to see Aitken shift to the utility position in the 17 and look at either Mann and Herbert to be looked at for the 3 jumper.

Flo, a great club man, can probably start the season on the wing. But I think there should be a hard look at a succession plan and I think one of the young guys needs to get a look in. Garrick could well be an option, but I also think young guys like Lomax, Sailor and Marsters need to be in consideration to blooded through the wing. Plenty of teams use this position to do it with the Raiders and Cotric and Roosters and Manu coming to mind. It gives the guys a proper taste and a pathway to firsts.

As for the bench, Aitken I have mentioned as the utility position. The other position is where I would like to see some spice. A rotation of Leilua, Sele and Laurie would all be solid options and could be used in conjunction with their form and the draw. Leilua offers a point of difference with his ball playing and size and the other 2 will be good first graders.

My 2 cents, and naturally this is all dependant on our roster staying as it currently is. Our biggest issue is of course Mary, but the squad is building nicely.

possm

Coach
Mickey
Your backline is potentially great.But l think we need to pick up a player
With speed and size for the wing. We need someone to get us 120 to 170 meters every week.
But other than rona there is no one available.
I think mann will do a job but lack of meters would be a worry.
If only McDonald would play to his full potential he would be the answer.
But he has showed a lack of pace and heart.
I think herbert is a chance he has done well so far this year. Also I would keep dufty at fullback.
Field to the bench
Imo
1. Dufty will do me as our fullback
2. Mann is more than capable on the left wing and can cover any position in the backline if a replacement is required during a game.
3. Here lies our problem. I was a big Aiken fan when he first was selected but since then he has developed some worring bad habits. I would like these to be identified by the coaching staff and for Aitken to come back through reserve grade after he rectifies these problems. Signing Rona is the only logical solution at this time.
4. Lafia is singed for a further 3 years on good money. Is mistakes need to be coached out of him.
5. Well we know Nightingale is in his final year. the right wing spot will be faught out between he, Macdonald and on of our young speedsters. I would like the coach to pick the form player not matter what.
6. Widdop and when he is not available, Field.
7. Hunt and let's hope we unearth a good replacement from our junior ranks in 2018.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Possm
Hutch is still there as well.
Hopefully he can cover in the halves

Well pointed out dragonssamy.
There is every indication that Hutch has re-signed.
If so, that would take us to 28 out of the 30 we need.
The rumours of Koriebete, Rona, Latimore etc are probably just that because with 2 spots left 5 or 6 doesnt go into 2.