What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite dragons finals series

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
It's finals time and I've been reminiscing on past dragons finals campaigns (very sad, I know) and I'm interested to know what series is your favourite.
Obviously 2010 has to mention as it was the drought breaker, but for me I really enjoyed the 1996 series.
I went to every saints game in that final series and we had great wins over Canberra, Roosters and North Sydney. Unfortunately it wasn't to be in the grand final, but still a great season considering we started the year with no coach.
Another great campaign was 93, and I'll never forgot my first finals game in 92 when we beat Newcastle 4-2.
Interested to know what your favourites were

The fox

Juniors
It's finals time and I've been reminiscing on past dragons finals campaigns (very sad, I know) and I'm interested to know what series is your favourite.
Obviously 2010 has to mention as it was the drought breaker, but for me I really enjoyed the 1996 series.
I went to every saints game in that final series and we had great wins over Canberra, Roosters and North Sydney. Unfortunately it wasn't to be in the grand final, but still a great season considering we started the year with no coach.
Another great campaign was 93, and I'll never forgot my first finals game in 92 when we beat Newcastle 4-2.
I've been to the 77 79 grd final wins but I have to say the 96 finals series was special . The preliminary final against Norths was my most enjoyable, watching mundine race away and the crowd going off still vivid .We were rank outsiders and we nailed them. The other preliminary final in 99 v the sharks was also up there

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
I've been to the 77 79 grd final wins but I have to say the 96 finals series was special . The preliminary final against Norths was my most enjoyable, watching mundine race away and the crowd going off still vivid .We were rank outsiders and we nailed them. The other preliminary final in 99 v the sharks was also up there
That whole season in 96 was pretty special. Guys like Colin Ward, Troy Stone, Adrian Bruner, Mark Bell were not exactly household names but they all had big seasons that year

jeffdragon

Bench
92 -93
When the dragon army was full of fans,
I remember when we had to move so we could all sit together at allianz.
We slept outside parra leagues to get grand final tickets.in 92.
I was 10th in line and i was the last one to get tickets, the girl behind me missed out she was crying.
In 93 we slept outside saints leagues and got tickets.
I was with Mark who holds the GST sign .
We used to go to all the finals even if saints werent there before that in 90 -91.
Still remember chook herron saving a certain try in the u 23s semi with a crusing tackle b believe it or not.
Also mention 96 Grand final day where i left my wallet in the dunny and got called on the pa system saying someone handed it in the authorites.and so i got it back..Phew

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
2018 was good for me, great year after winning the minor premiership 4 points clear of the Knights. Beating the sharks in the first final, week off then smashing Roosters by 50 in the prelim. The GF was special flogging Broncos with Ben Hunts 4 tries. Great year, coaching masterstroke by Tony Smith with Field starting the year on Knighty's wing and Lomax replacing McDonald after being dropped in Round 3. What a year.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
2018 was good for me, great year after winning the minor premiership 4 points clear of the Knights. Beating the sharks in the first final, week off then smashing Roosters by 50 in the prelim. The GF was special flogging Broncos with Ben Hunts 4 tries. Great year, coaching masterstroke by Tony Smith with Field starting the year on Knighty's wing and Lomax replacing McDonald after being dropped in Round 3. What a year.
Haha how good does that sound!

grouch

First Grade
Yeah this plus 1999 sums it up for me! 96 was an amazing year

Honourable mention to 2006 as well... two big wins v Brisbane and Manly before being rorted by the cheating Storm

since77

Juniors
2010. I actually reminisce more about the tigers game in the preliminary final more than the GF. The last 10 minutes of that game - were we going to get through or were we to have our hearts broken again?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I loved 1977
Especially after the disappointment of the 1975 grand final .
77 was the year of baths babes.
After the 1st grand final ended in a draw after extra time with parra.
We came out in the reply and absolutely bashed them.
I will never forget rocket rod bleting them and biting ray price head.
We won easily 22 to nil.
Then they won again in 79 beating the bulldogs.
It was a great time.
Harry bath was not just one of the greatest players he was also a great coach and person

Life's Good

Coach
2010 was great BUT we were the best side for nigh on 2 years so I have to agree with you on 1996 which was a great year.

Reddy walks out at the last minute(pr*ck)and Waite steps in. Tallis sits out the year and the players who signed for SL were only given clearance to play in the ARL late in the day so preparations were not ideal. For the finals you had the game vs. Canberra and the mousetrap. The game vs. the Bears was a tense affair and I still remember screaming my lungs out for Mark Bell who ran the length of the field to score in the corner. Plus mundine was might all through he 96 finals. Great times.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
2010 was great BUT we were the best side for nigh on 2 years so I have to agree with you on 1996 which was a great year.

Reddy walks out at the last minute(pr*ck)and Waite steps in. Tallis sits out the year and the players who signed for SL were only given clearance to play in the ARL late in the day so preparations were not ideal. For the finals you had the game vs. Canberra and the mousetrap. The game vs. the Bears was a tense affair and I still remember screaming my lungs out for Mark Bell who ran the length of the field to score in the corner. Plus mundine was might all through he 96 finals. Great times.
Still remember Bartrim's solo try from dummy half where he ran about 30m against Canberra, and YES!!! The Mousetrap! How good was that!!
And Mundine holding the jersey after that solo try v the bears still gives me goosebumps

Life's Good

Coach
Still remember Bartrim's solo try from dummy half where he ran about 30m against Canberra, and YES!!! The Mousetrap! How good was that!!
And Mundine holding the jersey after that solo try v the bears still gives me goosebumps
Its great how the kissing of the jersey evokes such high emotion from the fans. To me it represents a 'we are doing it for you' attitude.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
96 was special. It would be similar to if the Cowboys somehow got to the GF this season only to get robbed by a poor decision to the Storm who have dominated all year and are the sure thing. Only saying Cowboys because since the finals started they were the huge underdog. Difference with Saints 96 and Cowboys now is the Saints had no superstars injured, they just had a team of no frills footballers who if there was a salary cap would not even been worth half of what it is. Some would not have even made the starting lineup in other sides and were unwanted discards.

Every finals game Saints played they were huge underdogs and won all 3 games. Norths even rested Brett Dallas before the GF qualifier because they were so confident of beating the Saints only to get annihilated in the finals game.

Latest posts