What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Me and My Guide Dog...

I'm legally blind and recently got a guide dog, who has already been a great help to me. I therefore feel obliged to show him and all his splendour:

JWTlo98.jpg

Life's Good

Coach
I'm legally blind and recently got a guide dog, who has already been a great help to me. I therefore feel obliged to show him and all his splendour:

JWTlo98.jpg
A very cool dog indeed.
Forgive my ignorance but can you explain how you are able to post on here with such poor levels of sight?? I am curious to understand the practical side. Thanks.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Good for you mate... I've got a 13 month old GSD who i can definitely say is not a great help... ha-ha.. love the not so little guy though.. Cant beat having a dog

AJB1102

First Grade

JWTlo98.jpg

Good looking dog, mate. They're amazing creatures. They're called "man's best friend" for a reason. The way they've adapted over time to make themselves not just a handy/useful sidekick but a genuine companion as well is pretty much unprecedented. Smart f**kers. I imagine that 4 legged legend has opened up the world a bit more for you.

I got my first dog at 6 a little silky terrier, he was my best mate for 17yrs. No dog for a bit after that until my grandfather passed then I took on his 18mth old border collie which was a massive handful but so worth it. Unfortunately poor bugger got riddled with cancer and was gone in a month at about 5.

Now I got a complete turd of a German sheppard who is 4 in a couple months. Knows who is boss but is relentless in trying to control the joint and the people in it. I swear he thinks we live in war torn Baghdad or something. In his ideal world me and everyone I know is holed up in a room with him guarding the door with an unlimited supply of deli meats.

A very cool dog indeed.
Forgive my ignorance but can you explain how you are able to post on here with such poor levels of sight?? I am curious to understand the practical side. Thanks.

Thanks, and good question. I use a combination of screen-reader and magnification software to help with things like forums. Its not perfect, but it usually gets the job done.

On a less happy note, I've been struggling with his (and my) medical costs lately, in part due to the NDIS not really providing good coverage, alas. Started a gofundme a few weeks back to try and help ease the strain:

Life's Good

Coach
Thanks, and good question. I use a combination of screen-reader and magnification software to help with things like forums. Its not perfect, but it usually gets the job done.

On a less happy note, I've been struggling with his (and my) medical costs lately, in part due to the NDIS not really providing good coverage, alas. Started a gofundme a few weeks back to try and help ease the strain:

Well I am glad you are able to manage using that sort of set up.
What about voice conversion technology where you can speak and your words are somehow converted to text??

It was Victory's 3rd birthday yesterday. :)

Less happily, I'm now "between plans" with the NDIS (which means I get reimbursed nothing at the moment), and trying to cover my medical bills, Victory's, and also trying to cover for Christmas is practically impossible, ugh. :(

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was Victory's 3rd birthday yesterday. :)

Less happily, I'm now "between plans" with the NDIS (which means I get reimbursed nothing at the moment), and trying to cover my medical bills, Victory's, and also trying to cover for Christmas is practically impossible, ugh. :(
Still, you've got better vision and financial security than the new owners of the Gold Coast Titans.

*I don't mean that in any disrespect to you mate (I used the same gag on a blind mate of mine and he thought it was funny. Although, he may also be hard of hearing and was just trying to be polite)