What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Intrust Super Cup - Finals 2017

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Like every ground, they film from the side where the media facilities are so that won't change.

paulmac

Juniors
Like every ground, they film from the side where the media facilities are so that won't change.
I'm currently watching the FFA Cup on Fox Sports and they are filming the game on the opposite side of Leichhardt Oval.

Diehards

Juniors
I hope everyone can get out and support the BRL Grand Final on Saturday and get behind the underdogs the mighty Valleys Diehards against everyone's most hated team the Dolphins!

Should be a cracker of a match especially with the ill-feeeling from the Semi where the Reddy prop copped a 4 game suspension for a late high shot on one of the Klein brothers!!

Bishop Park 4pm Saturday - be there in your finest Royal Blue!!

Stewbum

Juniors
I hope everyone can get out and support the BRL Grand Final on Saturday and get behind the underdogs the mighty Valleys Diehards against everyone's most hated team the Dolphins!

Should be a cracker of a match especially with the ill-feeeling from the Semi where the Reddy prop copped a 4 game suspension for a late high shot on one of the Klein brothers!!

Bishop Park 4pm Saturday - be there in your finest Royal Blue!!
Live stream?

Yeah. CallingallSportBrisbane will livestream the grand final.

Valleys have done very well this year after difficult seasons in 2015-16 but I'm hoping the fairytale will end at Bashup Park against the mighty Dolphins.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Last time they met :

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL 1973

The Valley Diehards won their third premiership in four years when they defeated Redcliffe 15‑7 in a gripping 1973 rugby league Grand Final.

Before a record grand final crowd, estimated at more than 40,000, Valleys only clinched the win about six minutes from the end with a try by tall forward, John McCabe who had an outstanding match.

Following a thrilling first half, which had the huge crowd in a constant uproar, the scores were deadlocked 7‑all.

But the most exciting period was the 12 minutes after half time when both teams put everything into trying to establish supremacy. Play switched from one end of the field to the other, with both teams coming close to scoring tries.

Valleys broke the deadlock when winger, Paul Gaylor scored after quick passing among the backs. But Gaylor had to do plenty of work himself to score the try. First the pass had been deflected and was difficult to judge; then he had to beat two defenders, one with strong running and the other with a swerve.

That made the scores 10‑7 and although the game then lost some of its spectacle, the excitement remained as Redcliffe tried desperately to bridge the gap.

The turning point of the game may well have been a magnificent cover defending tackle by McCabe and fellow forward, Jeff Gill on Redcliffe centre, Ron Carige.

Redcliffe fullback, Tony Obst, five eighth, Rod Cameron and lock Ian Thinee previously had come perilously close to scoring. Then Carige made his 60 metre burst. Had he scored the floodgates may have opened for the Dolphins.

McCabe's clinching try was the result of a perfectly timed Tony Perkins pass and some tiring defence from the Dolphins. Allan Mills landed a penalty one minute from the end to make the final score 15‑7.

Both teams had their casualties from the rugged encounter. Redcliffe captain, Ron Raper broke his forearm and crash tackling forward Rod Halley suffered a leg injury as did Valleys giant prop, Russell Hughes.

Redcliffe hooker, Bob Wilson won the scrums over Hugh O'Doherty 12‑9.

Referee, Bernie Pramberg, in his first Grand Final, gained strong control early and maintained it.

Scores: Valleys 15 (H.O'Doherty, P. Gaylor, J. McCabe tries; J. Crilly 2, A. Mills goals) d Redcliffe 7 (P. Leis try; R.Raper 2 goals)

Reserve grade: Brothers 26 d. Easts 5

Third grade: Norths 11 d. Valleys 5.

Source : “Rugby League News” 18th September, 1983

While I'm disappointed at the final result, I'm happy for Valleys and their premiership 16-12 grand final win today.

They were the better team in the second half. Redcliffe should have been up more than the 8-0 half time lead they had with quite a few attacking opportunities.

A good year for the Diehards because they also won 2nd Div Premiers a couple weeks ago too.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The last ten minutes were compelling viewing like any close Grand Final.

The commentators had Redcliffe getting penalties 6-0 in the second half so they had every chance.

Diehards

Juniors
I never thought I would see the day my beloved Diehards won another BRL premiership but they have done it!

Valleys could not have played any worse in the 1st half and with Redcliffe having the aid of a very strong breeze to be only done by 8-0 at the break was amazing. I could not believe the Dolphins took the shot at penalty rather than going for the try.

6-0 penalty count in the 2nd half.... par for the course when you play Redcliffe with that ref it seems. Same ref that only penalised the Dolphins in the Semi for a late high shot on one of the Kleins after the kicked... he ended up getting a 4 week holiday!

But it was a great game and here is to Premiership number 25!

What a sad way to end the season. :(

Outclassed in all aspects of the game. Grats to the Falcons on the making the gf but I'm on Hunters bandwagon next week.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I was going to the GF next Sunday, but my Dolphins shit the bed :thinking::mask::mask:. Falcons will destroy the hunters on the big stage.

mikail-eagle

Bench
On paper the Falcons look like they have too much class all over the park.

Their Storm contingent of players are all playing at a very high level.