What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Morgan

Tommy Smith

Referee
I was in awe of what Anthony Milford did this year in his first full year at 5/8. And that's after admittedly wanting him to fail given that I'm not exactly enamoured with the Broncos.

But credit where it's due, he had an outstanding season. And he capped it off in the GF by totally outplaying the other three halves in the game, one of which is the greatest player of his generation. He ripped us to shreds in the Prelim the week before too. Not bad for a 21 year old.

So whilst I do rate Morgan very highly and I'm a big fan of his - I do love a powerful and quick old school running 5/8 - I believe that Milford should be Qlds next long term no.6. It's quite scary to think how good he'll be in 2 or 3 years.

Morgan could well be Qlds next fullback. Or at the very least he'll cement himself a bench utility spot for years to come.

As for the halfback spot, Elgey may turn out the best of the lot.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
I just can't see why the next Queensland halves would not be Hunt and Milford. They are the perfect option while being individually two of the most talented halves in the comp, they are already an amazing combination and will only improve.

Everyone watch they will be Queensland and Australia's halves pairing in the next 5 years.

I just can't see why the next Queensland halves would not be Hunt and Milford. They are the perfect option while being individually two of the most talented halves in the comp, they are already an amazing combination and will only improve.

Everyone watch they will be Queensland and Australia's halves pairing in the next 5 years.

Lol .
Just lol .
Hunt needs a kicking game & to not crumble under pressure .

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Lol .
Just lol .

One bad game does not define a player, everyone has had a bad game, it does not mean that they crumble under pressure.

Yes he does need to improve his kicking game, but not that much and remember he is the only kicker in the Broncos team. Even Jonathan Thurston has Coote to do some kicking for him.

Stop being so harsh.

Charlie124

First Grade
Lol .
Just lol .

Agreed.

All Hunt jokes aside (for now), I had him edging out DCE as the year went on as far as the future QLD halfback, he showed great form and looks to have matured a lot as a player. But then came the big games when he needed to step up and he was comfortably outplayed by Milford. Then he went completely geniused in the biggest game of his career to date. Think about that. Ben Hunts most important game of his career to date was his worst. His kicking game throughout the whole finals series got progressively worse and the rest of his game seemed to just unravel around that.

Now I hope for QLDs sake that he improves enough to be a good option to take the reins when the time comes, but from what he's shown so far in big games I'd rather persevere with DCE if Cronk, JT or Morgan are unavailable next year.

Milford as I've said before has a lot of speed and flashy footwork but given his size I just feel he'll spend his career as more of a "plan B or C" option for selectors the way Matty Bowen did as fullback in the rep arena. One thing he does have going for him is that he's shown he can handle the big games.

Charlie124

First Grade
One bad game does not define a player, everyone has had a bad game, it does not mean that they crumble under pressure.

Yes he does need to improve his kicking game, but not that much and remember he is the only kicker in the Broncos team. Even Jonathan Thurston has Coote to do some kicking for him.

Stop being so harsh.

For that very reason alone he should be far better than he is. That fact does not support your defence of his poor kicking game.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
For that very reason alone he should be far better than he is. That fact does not support your defence of his poor kicking game.

All I am saying is on average each game he has to put in more kicks than the majority of halves and that means that he is going to have more bad kicks. But yes I agree their is no excuse for his poor kicking game, although I still think he will improve, especially during the pre-season.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Agreed.

All Hunt jokes aside (for now), I had him edging out DCE as the year went on as far as the future QLD halfback, he showed great form and looks to have matured a lot as a player. But then came the big games when he needed to step up and he was comfortably outplayed by Milford. Then he went completely geniused in the biggest game of his career to date. Think about that. Ben Hunts most important game of his career to date was his worst. His kicking game throughout the whole finals series got progressively worse and the rest of his game seemed to just unravel around that.

Now I hope for QLDs sake that he improves enough to be a good option to take the reins when the time comes, but from what he's shown so far in big games I'd rather persevere with DCE if Cronk, JT or Morgan are unavailable next year.

Milford as I've said before has a lot of speed and flashy footwork but given his size I just feel he'll spend his career as more of a "plan B or C" option for selectors the way Matty Bowen did as fullback in the rep arena. One thing he does have going for him is that he's shown he can handle the big games.

Size should be irrelevant if he is the best option, as we saw with Alfie Langer size is not important as long as you can do the job and I think he can.

ram raid

Bench
One a fantastic dilemma have to have .. to many god halves to select from ... ahhhh NSW.

Here are my thoughts.

First, there's a lot of footy and form to be shown between now and origin selection. So the players might pick themselves.

I'm less worried about Hunt's ability to stand up in Origin than I am about how his grand final might affect his confidence.

Milford is a god damned freak and it would be ridiculous if he can't get into Origin.

Morgan is a great all round footy player - has a footy brain, is a ball player and is faster than Usain Bolt.

The thing about Morgan is that Thurston likes playing with him so he WILL be the 6 when Cronk is injured and might simply inherit the Jersey when it's available. At worst I think he'll have nailed down a utility spot.

Who can kick? They all can kick but none of them like Cronk. This is what might keep DCE in contention.

Mogan is a fullback too so maybe he'll just play there.

Shorty

Staff member

Hunt isn't up to rep footy.
I'm sure he'll get a crack but he'll probably be a bit like DCE.
Losing your head in a grand final at his age isn't a great sign.

DiegoNT

First Grade
This is just my theory. We can all agree that the best origin halves over the last 15 or so years have been (in no order) johns, fittler, Thurston, Lockyer and Cronk right? What do all these players have in common? They were all pretty much the sole playmaker in their club sides. Being a sole playmaker at club level moulds you into the type of player needed at origin level. Other sole club playmaker like barrett (when at the dragons) or Scott Prince (when at the Titans) went ok. It's why guys who seem gun at club level don't seem to fire in origin. The 2 big examples are DCE, who has always had foran with him at the sea Eagles, some may even say Foran is the better half, and Pearce, who's best football is when he has had carney and Maloney with him. I think this is why Morgan has the running on Milford. Morgan has always performed well on the few occasions he hasn't had thurston by his side, while milford has struggled when hunt has been missing

ram raid

Bench
This is just my theory. We can all agree that the best origin halves over the last 15 or so years have been (in no order) johns, fittler, Thurston, Lockyer and Cronk right? What do all these players have in common? They were all pretty much the sole playmaker in their club sides. Being a sole playmaker at club level moulds you into the type of player needed at origin level. Other sole club playmaker like barrett (when at the dragons) or Scott Prince (when at the Titans) went ok. It's why guys who seem gun at club level don't seem to fire in origin. The 2 big examples are DCE, who has always had foran with him at the sea Eagles, some may even say Foran is the better half, and Pearce, who's best football is when he has had carney and Maloney with him. I think this is why Morgan has the running on Milford. Morgan has always performed well on the few occasions he hasn't had thurston by his side, while milford has struggled when hunt has been missing

I haven't been able to watch enough Cowboys games to see Morgan as a sole creative half. If he has been I am on board with your theory.

Spade

Juniors
match day thread is funny, first half people are into him but when he come good in the second half tune changes lol

He's got a cool head which is a big plus in pressure games .

Plus he seems to be one of those players who have all the time in the world to pick an option & go with it .

What does MM do with him in the Aust team?
Play him at 6
Or is his utility value too good ( SOO 2 come on at centre & set up miracle pass for Winning try ).

He can play anywhere in the back line
Play lock if he had too

Just an all round brilliant player .

magpie4ever

First Grade
Best natural footballer in the game today. Able to read what is in front of him and acts accordingly without taking too many clutch plays.

Fangs

Coach
A very ood player.

Doesn't appear to be very good. Yet wins games single-handedly like Thurston just about every weekend.

Michael 'Wally The King' Morgan.