What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Ratings for Season 2017

Kilkenny

Coach
MY OPINIONS ON THE PERFORMANCES OF OUR PLAYERS IN 2017. I MAY HAVE MISSED ONE OR TWO BUT ANYWAY FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

DYLAN EDWARDS - 7. TERRIFIC AFTER BEING BROUGHT IN. HAS A GREAT FUTURE.

JOSH MANSOUR - 6. INJURY HAMPERED HIS SEASON AND DIDN’T QUITE REACH THE HEIGHTS OF 2016.

WAQA BLAKE - 6. SOME REALLY POSITIVE PERFORMANCES. OFFERS PACE WHICH IS NOT SOMETHING WE HAVE A LOT OFF.

TYRONE PEACHY - 5 . BIT OF A DISAPPOINTING SEASON FOR TYRONE PARTLY DUE TO LACK OF SERVICE.

DEAN WHARE - 4. ANOTHER SEASON RUINED BY INJURY.

DWZ - 6. DEPENDABLE AS ALWAYS BUT NOT IN THE GAMES ELITE WINGERS.

MATT MOYLAN - 5. DISAPPOINTING SEASON FOR MATTY IN WHAT IS LIKELY TO BE HIS FOR THE CLUB.

NATHAN CLEARY - 8. UNBELIEVABLE SEASON FOR A HALF OF HIS TENDER YEARS. PROBABLY OUR PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

JAMES TAMOU - 5. CERTAINLY DID NOTHING TO JUSTIFY HIS PAY CHEQUE. DISAPPOINTING FOR THE MOST PART.

PETER WALLACE - 6. DIDN’T LET US DOWN AND GAVE HIS ALL IN EVERY APPEARANCE BUT PROBABLY TIME TO MOVE ON.

REGAN CAMPBELL GILLARD - 8. GREAT SECOND HALF TO THE SEASON PROBABLY GETS HIM AN AUSSIE JERSEY. SAY NO MORE.

ISAAH YEO - 7. GREAT SEASON BUT COULD OFFER SO MUCH MORE IF WE HAD STRUCTURE IN OUR ATTACK.

CHN - 6. VERY GOOD DEBUT SEASON EVEN IF HIS FORM TAPERED OFF A TAD AT SEASONS END.

TRENT MERRIN - 5. DIDN’T REACH HIS FORM OF 2016 AND IT HURT US

BRYCE CARTWRIGHT - 4. SCORED TWO TRIES IN THE SEMI AGAINST MANLY THAT WAS HIS CONTRIBUTION IN 2017

TIM BROWNE - 4. SOLID BUT WE HAVE OTHERS WHO WILL OFFER MORE IN 2018.

MITCH REIN - 6. THOUGHT HE DID ENOUGH THE KEEP HIS PLACE BUT WHAT WOULD I KNOW.

JFH - 4. INJURY DISRUPTED SEASON AND NEEDS TO IMPROVE IN 2018 OR WILL STRUGGLE TO RETAIN HIS PLACE.

TYRONE MAY - 6. COULDN'T REALLY ASK FOR ANY MORE HIM AND COULD DEVELOP INTO A USEFUL UTILITY PLAYER.

VILLIAME KIKAU - 4. UNDERUSED BY THE COACH.

MOSES LEOTA - 4. HARD TO STAND OUT WHEN YOU AVERAGE 8-10 MINUTES OFF THE BENCH.

SIONE KATOA - 5. PRETTY GOOD IN HIS LIMITED OPPORTUNITIES. NEVER LET US DOWN.

SITALEKI AKAUOLA - 4. SEE COMMENTS FOR KIKAU.

TMM - 4. DIDN’T SHINE FOR US BUT THE COWBOYS ARE VERY HAPPY WITH HIM.

Pretty close to what I'd have.

Mansour a little higher I think. Ran for 166m a game, only down from 173m last year. His tries however were down a bit. I'd give him 7/10.

Cleary I'd have slightly lower. Only 10 try assists in 26 games, but on the plus side he scored 11 tries. Last season he had 8 try assists in 15 games, but only 3 tries. I'd have him at 7/10 too.

I'd have RCG as our player of the year.

Increased his minutes per game by 25% but his run meters by 43%.

He also increased his tackle breaks by 115%, total minutes played increased by 60%

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Says something when I don't really know who I'd have as our player of the season. RCG maybe, though I don't think he was anything amazing. Cleary is probably next in line, but he was too inconsistent and did not really improve this season; if anything, his kicking game went backwards. Instead, I'll just list things that can be improved for our established players:

Edwards: chiming into the back line better when on attack.
Mansour: aerial defensive work
DWZ: handling
Blake: handling
Peachey: marking up in defense; basic tackling
Whare: leadership
Cleary: short kicking game above all else; not getting tackled on the 5th; varying his attacking passes
Moylan: learning not to overplay his passing game when it is not on; short kicking game
RCG: play the ball speed
Yeo: more off-loading
CHN: handling; more off-loading (he's basically used as a crash test dummy)
Fisher-Harris: discipline
Cartwright: lateral defense, running the ball harder, confidence
Tamou: you name it
Merrin: fitness; reducing dumb offloads
Wallace: retirement

TheFrog

Coach
WAQA BLAKE - 6. SOME REALLY POSITIVE PERFORMANCES. OFFERS PACE WHICH IS NOT SOMETHING WE HAVE A LOT OFF.
He's easily as fast as James Roberts once he stretches out but not off the mark. He would benefit immensely from some serious sprint training with a view to increasing his speed off the mark.

OldPanther

Coach
Pretty close to what I'd have.

Mansour a little higher I think. Ran for 166m a game, only down from 173m last year. His tries however were down a bit. I'd give him 7/10.

Cleary I'd have slightly lower. Only 10 try assists in 26 games, but on the plus side he scored 11 tries. Last season he had 8 try assists in 15 games, but only 3 tries. I'd have him at 7/10 too.

I'd have RCG as our player of the year.

Increased his minutes per game by 25% but his run meters by 43%.

He also increased his tackle breaks by 115%, total minutes played increased by 60%

I really wouldn't change anything here other than not have Tamou on the same level as Moylan/DWZ. While we got some benifit from them Tamou you wouldn't miss at all. I'd have him at 3 based on how you seem to have done it. I'd have Katoa 1 higher just because he was excellent when used correctly. If we used Rein/Katoa next year with a view to develop Egan I would be very happy.

DefinitelyCleary/RCG for player of the year.

Says something when I don't really know who I'd have as our player of the season. RCG maybe, though I don't think he was anything amazing. Cleary is probably next in line, but he was too inconsistent and did not really improve this season; if anything, his kicking game went backwards. Instead, I'll just list things that can be improved for our established players:

Edwards: chiming into the back line better when on attack.
Mansour: aerial defensive work
DWZ: handling
Blake: handling
Peachey: marking up in defense; basic tackling
Whare: leadership
Cleary: short kicking game above all else; not getting tackled on the 5th; varying his attacking passes
Moylan: learning not to overplay his passing game when it is not on; short kicking game
RCG: play the ball speed
Yeo: more off-loading
CHN: handling; more off-loading (he's basically used as a crash test dummy)
Fisher-Harris: discipline
Cartwright: lateral defense, running the ball harder, confidence
Tamou: you name it
Merrin: fitness; reducing dumb offloads
Wallace: retirement

This was perfect. Point that stood out was Fish and Wallace. Really needs to control his aggression and the latter needs to retire.

Cleary spent the first half of the year bombing to no one. He still has massive issues getting tackled on the 4th and 5th.
Yes he is very good for his age but that shouldn't effect his overall score. 6.5/10 for me

Latest posts