What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

isaiah

Bench
Surprisingly, Brad Samuelson was 5/8. I didn't think he played as late as 1987.

The teams in the programme were :

Wynnum Manly

1 Colin Scott
2 Scott Nicholls
3 Brian Naylor
4 Gene Miles
5 Scott Lewis
6 Brad Samuelson
7 Doug Belford
8 Wally Lewis
9 Tony Jemmott
10 Andrew Tessman
11 John Turner
12 Darren Petrie
13 Darryl Jenner

Redcliffe

1 Greg Donnelly
2 Shane Knuth
3 Rohan Teevan
4 Jeff Doyle
5 Robin Thorne
6 Trevor Benson
7 Jamie Sandy
8 Steve Bleakley
9 Bob Keogh
10 Ashley Tupaea
11 Bryan Niebling
12 Greg Conescu
13 Dave Brown

Referee Eddie Ward

Have a look at the front rows and you will see why the score was the way it was. Wynnum's success in the 1980s was in line each year with the strength of its front row - 1984, 1982 and 1986 were the best, then 1985 and 1981. In 1983 and 1987 the line up was average.

To me, that day was the end of BRL football as I knew it (although I did go to the Grand Final). By the time 1988 came around, out of the two teams above, Wynnum only still had Belford and Naylor, Redcliffe only had Sandy, Knuth, Keogh and Bleakley.
Broncs when they started in 88 had so many of the best brl players amongst the 40 or so they needed to play firsts and reserves. Surprising the team that contributed the most players.

Brutus

Referee
Memorable day beating Valleys 26-5 to advance to Wynnum's first Grand Final.

They scored 78-8 through that finals series - beat Redcliffe 35-0, Valleys 26-5 and Souths 19-3. Only three point tries then as well.

I like the form line when teams lose the final game of the season when it doesn't matter to their finals position. You can't peak every week so save it for the finals. Wynnum did the same in 2011 and PNG have that form this year, as do Townsville.

17-3 :wink:

I remember arguing with friends the following day at school. I was firmly in the camp that Ash Lumby's try wasn't a double movement. Many thought it was.

Diehards

Juniors
The late great Gerry Fitzpatrick used to do a lot of organising for those reunions as you would know.

Who is the driving force behind the reunions these days.

Marty Scanlan, Ron Gurnett & Bob Knight are the organisers these days!

XXXX Cap

Juniors
17-3 :wink:

I remember arguing with friends the following day at school. I was firmly in the camp that Ash Lumby's try wasn't a double movement. Many thought it was.

I can't remember arguing with anyone the following day. Too busy drinking and trying to work out where we had slept the night before.

Brutus

Referee
I can't remember arguing with anyone the following day. Too busy drinking and trying to work out where we had slept the night before.

I know the 1982 celebrations were epic, but how did the 84 and 86 post -GF celebrations go in comparison?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Were never going to be as big but good all the same.

1982 was something that was a long time coming and being a first, never to be repeated. Local people had followed them for 30 years with little success. I went to my first Wynnum game in 1962 but had to wait until 1975 to see them play a finals match. It was 1981 before the next one.

From 1964 to 1980, they averaged less than 6 wins a season out of the 21 matches, finishing in the bottom three 14 times in 17 years.

My Dad passed away in 1979, thus fulfilling his prediction that he would never see them win a Premiership. I celebrated hard on his behalf three years later.

King hit

Coach
On this day 30 years the last pre Broncos Brisbane premiership game was played. Brothers were the last premiers beating Redcliffe 26-8 in the final.

Brutus

Referee
On this day 30 years the last pre Broncos Brisbane premiership game was played. Brothers were the last premiers beating Redcliffe 26-8 in the final.

Wow how time flies.
25000 crowd. No 20k plus local grand final crowds since.

Latest posts