What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
He has a better resume than Anthony Griffin. Devastated we are going to lose him.
So true, he has never won a single premiership or anything. Well, other than up in Qld where he won cups with the u20's at two different clubs. Nothing, nada, zip. Oh and I forgot the premiership he won with Recdcliffe Dolphins. But other than those three wins and lets be honest, it was in spite of his coaching not because of it. The draw was easy and the halfbacks Dad used to coach all the players in his spare time. Hook just turned up with his clipboard on game day and cut the oranges. Sometime he didn't even do that. He got his wife to do it.

Mind you, he has never been an assistant coach like Brennan has. Well obviously, other than his two years at the Melbourne Storm.

Yep, Brennan's resume is superior in every way all right. Well, other than that bit about never actually coaching a first grade side yet, but that means nothing. Oh and I forgot that bit missing in his resume about getting a team to the semi's four times in first grade. But, that doesn't count. The semi's? Pah, easy peasey. In all four years the draw was so easy Emu Plains A Grade could have made the semi's. Some times the other team didn't even turn up so Hook's teams got two points for doing nothing. What a muppet. How did he even get the job?

So true, he has never won a single premiership or anything. Well, other than up in Qld where he won cups with the u20's at two different clubs. Nothing, nada, zip. Oh and I forgot the premiership he won with Recdcliffe Dolphins. But other than those three wins and lets be honest, it was in spite of his coaching not because of it. The draw was easy and the halfbacks Dad used to coach all the players in his spare time. Hook just turned up with his clipboard on game day and cut the oranges. Sometime he didn't even do that. He got his wife to do it.

Mind you, he has never been an assistant coach like Brennan has. Well obviously, other than his two years at the Melbourne Storm.

Yep, Brennan's resume is superior in every way all right. Well, other than that bit about never actually coaching a first grade side yet, but that means nothing. Oh and I forgot that bit missing in his resume about getting a team to the semi's four times in first grade. But, that doesn't count. The semi's? Pah, easy peasey. In all four years the draw was so easy Emu Plains A Grade could have made the semi's. Some times the other team didn't even turn up so Hook's teams got two points for doing nothing. What a muppet. How did he even get the job?

Annnnnnnd he failed with Brisbane which is almost impossible to do

betcats

Referee

Show me where I said he has won nothing? Making shit up again.

His premierships are the Redcliffe colts in 97 and Brisbane norths colts the year after then Redcliffe Qcup in 2006. Everyone has access to Google these days mate.

I am sorry I didn't mention his colts premierships in queensland from the f**king 90s when I said Brennan's resume is better but I didn't think park footy rated a mention.

Last edited:
Re Griffin V Brennan

Griffin deserved his shot at first grade, quite clearly. But I'd say so far his FG results are pretty average. Possibly indicating that he peaked with the younger guys.

Brennan also deserves his shot. What he makes of it I can't say, but so far he's been impressive.

martielang

Bench
Probably won't be a popular opinion, but i'd look to bring Tony Williams for a year or two.

Just been released from the Sharks, would be on a pretty minimal contract & has upside with limited risk. I think we miss having a big offloading back rower on the edge. Yeo & CHN are both hole runners. A big body off the bench who can attract defenders, would help IMO. In saying that, hopefully next year Kikau is ready for that role.

betcats

Referee
Re Griffin V Brennan

Griffin deserved his shot at first grade, quite clearly. But I'd say so far his FG results are pretty average. Possibly indicating that he peaked with the younger guys.

Brennan also deserves his shot. What he makes of it I can't say, but so far he's been impressive.

Griffin had his shot in Brissy and was spectacularly mediocre. Nothing he did up there demanded a shot here IMO.

1 premiership of note in a twenty year coaching career, plus a couple local footy colts premierships from the 90s.

Brennan has won premierships with most of our current team dealing with all kinds of squad disruption while dominating.

betcats

Referee
Probably won't be a popular opinion, but i'd look to bring Tony Williams for a year or two.

Just been released from the Sharks, would be on a pretty minimal contract & has upside with limited risk. I think we miss having a big offloading back rower on the edge. Yeo & CHN are both hole runners. A big body off the bench who can attract defenders, would help IMO. In saying that, hopefully next year Kikau is ready for that role.

I dunno, I cant see him having much impact. Rather we stuck with our guys.

OldPanther

Coach

Sounds like he earned his go at first grade coaching. I've always said "if he stays he needs help".

That almost reads like he cut the oranges with the clipboard and that wouldn't surprise me about most people in the NRL.

Re Griffin V Brennan

Best response imo.

As I was reading I thought of Kikau and sure enough you mentioned him. The question is: would they be allowed to offload. I don't know the stats but it seemed to stop this year for whatever reason. I'm guessing gameplan.

Fangs

Coach

He would be a good depth signing with the potential to be greater. He'd be worth peanuts as you've pointed out.

Pomoz

Bench
Show me where I said he has won nothing? Making shit up again.

His premierships are the Redcliffe colts in 97 and Brisbane norths colts the year after then Redcliffe Qcup in 2006. Everyone has access to Google these days mate.

I am sorry I didn't mention his colts premierships in queensland from the f**king 90s when I said Brennan's resume is better but I didn't think park footy rated a mention.
Well, you show me where I said, you said "he has won nothing?". I did not. I was merely pointing out that's Hooks resume is not too bad and has one massive advantage. He actually has coached first grade. His abilities are not theoretical. He isn't potentially a coach. He is one.

Can you explain to me how somebody's resume can be better when they actually haven't done the job yet and the other candidate has done the job? And with some success. A 54% average win rate.

I think what you mean to say is that Brennan has a lot of potential. He has been successful in the lower grades and if that translates to first grade, that would be brilliant. The trouble is one doesn't follow the other. He might be brilliant, he also might fall flat on his face as others have before him.

It is a huge call to sack a 2 for 2 coach for a newbie. Maybe if Bellamy became available or Bennett. Sure, but Hook deserves another round. Brennan will get his chance next year if Hook fails to improve us.

For the record, I wanted Brennan to get the job last time. That was unless we could land a star coach like Bellamy or Toovey or Hasler. Griffin wasn't somebody I would pick. I'm still not convinced he is good enough to get us all the way. He is good enough to make us competitive, clearly he has shown that, but to win a premiership? Not sure.

betcats

Referee
Well, you show me where I said, you said "he has won nothing?". I did not. I was merely pointing out that's Hooks resume is not too bad and has one massive advantage. He actually has coached first grade. His abilities are not theoretical. He isn't potentially a coach. He is one.

Can you explain to me how somebody's resume can be better when they actually haven't done the job yet and the other candidate has done the job? And with some success. A 54% average win rate.

I think what you mean to say is that Brennan has a lot of potential. He has been successful in the lower grades and if that translates to first grade, that would be brilliant. The trouble is one doesn't follow the other. He might be brilliant, he also might fall flat on his face as others have before him.

It is a huge call to sack a 2 for 2 coach for a newbie. Maybe if Bellamy became available or Bennett. Sure, but Hook deserves another round. Brennan will get his chance next year if Hook fails to improve us.

For the record, I wanted Brennan to get the job last time. That was unless we could land a star coach like Bellamy or Toovey or Hasler. Griffin wasn't somebody I would pick. I'm still not convinced he is good enough to get us all the way. He is good enough to make us competitive, clearly he has shown that, but to win a premiership? Not sure.

You certainly implied it with that rambling nonsense.

His time in Brisbane ended with him being shown the door, he very little succuss with a team that has more money and other advantages than any other club, its not impressive, the year after he left they play in a gf.

His resume is better because his has won at the under 20s level recently and the nsw cup recently, not twenty years ago. He did with the same players we still have, he played a huge part in many those same players development. That's much better than a QLD cup win in twenty years(I am not mentioning local footy).

Pomoz

Bench
Re Griffin V Brennan

Except they are not. Making the top eight makes you above average. He has made the semis 5 times out of 6 attempts. I would have loved us to have some of that average coaching over the 10 years we didn't make the semis.

Pomoz

Bench
You certainly implied it with that rambling nonsense.

His time in Brisbane ended with him being shown the door, he very little succuss with a team that has more money and other advantages than any other club, its not impressive, the year after he left they play in a gf.

His resume is better because his has won at the under 20s level recently and the nsw cup recently, not twenty years ago. He did with the same players we still have, he played a huge part in many those same players development. That's much better than a QLD cup win in twenty years(I am not mentioning local footy).
"Rambling nonsense". Getting a bit nasty now. Your usual form of debate. Throw in insults and imply you know better. Classy as always eh?

You think potential is better than actually doing the job. You believe coaching lower grades and winning is better than coaching first grade and making the semi finals 5 times out of six. Hook got the Bronco's to third the year after they failed to make the semis. I guess that is "very little success".

betcats

Referee
"Rambling nonsense". Getting a bit nasty now. Your usual form of debate. Throw in insults and imply you know better. Classy as always eh?

You think potential is better than actually doing the job. You believe coaching lower grades and winning is better than coaching first grade and making the semi finals 5 times out of six. Hook got the Bronco's to third the year after they failed to make the semis. I guess that is "very little success".

Hahaha oh that analysis of my usual posting style is brilliant.

I think if both sent a resume to gus two years ago you would be insane to choose Griffin over Brennan. And yes finishing 3rd with the broncos is very little success if that is your best result.

Edit: Also if you are holding a grudge over an internet forum disagreement you are probably a real bitter little person.

Last edited:
Except they are not. Making the top eight makes you above average. He has made the semis 5 times out of 6 attempts. I would have loved us to have some of that average coaching over the 10 years we didn't make the semis.

Outside of his first season, with one of the greatest players of all time, he's never made the top 4.

If you take away that first season his win percentage is 52%. That's decidedly average.

3rd - once
6th - once
7th - once
8th - twice
12 - once

Mean = 8.8

Take out the two outliers and you get an average of 7.25

Teams in the 6-10 bracket are the average teams, and he's almost always there.

If you want to be very precise he's a slightly above average coach. Very slightly.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
It should not be forgotten while there is a head coach, there is also a number of assistants. While the head coach has the final say in all matters the assistants contribute to coaching, team selections, structures and a whole range of coaching related matters. While it is the head coach who ultimately has overall responsibility surely if a team is not travelling well or there are signs of poor coaching does that not also reflect on the assistants to the head coach. Leaving Griffin aside for the time being how could the Bulldogs possibly appoint coach in waiting Jim Dymock given he was the main assistant to Des Hasler.

betcats

Referee
It should not be forgotten while there is a head coach, there is also a number of assistants. While the head coach has the final say in all matters the assistants contribute to coaching, team selections, structures and a whole range of coaching related matters. While it is the head coach who ultimately has overall responsibility surely if a team is not travelling well or there are signs of poor coaching does that not also reflect on the assistants to the head coach. Leaving Griffin aside for the time being how could the Bulldogs possibly appoint coach in waiting Jim Dymock given he was the main assistant to Des Hasler.

Re the Dogs. Dymock was there before Hasler, he may well of disagreed with everything Des did and Hasler didn't have the power to get rid of him, the dogs made a point of that when they cleared out all the staff Des brought with him after last season.

Dessie seems like a control freak, i doubt he let Dymock have much of a say. Anyway I hope they do stuff up there appointment, either way the dogs have a year or two of pain imo.

OldPanther

Coach

Good point. As Betcats said Des likes to control everything. As far as Panthers go I don't know what Griffin is like in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts