What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
Yep, imagine the melt down if grant had agreed to a deal worth $300mill less so we could have 4 Sunday games!

Well this is a question of how money is made and spent in the game.

If the TV deal was worth $300mil less, for clarity that works out to $60mil per year and at 29% of revenue, $1.09 mil per club.

BUT in this scenario clubs have the freedom to schedule their own game times, and/or all games are in prime time slots.
How much extra money can clubs make for themselves given this opportunity?

$1.1million looks like 36,666 tickets at $30 a ticket.
Or 3,055 per home game.

Taking into account:
superior timeslots,
better walk up crowd due to lack of guaranteed live TV,
better merch and gameday sales,
better membership sales,
better game day atmopshere/experience due to increased crowds snowball effect...

Is this unreasonable?

This should be the last TV deal where the broadcasters are prioritised over the fans.
Ok, we got our deserved big payday. It's time to give back to the game now.
Relying so heavily on TV is neither healthy nor sustainable.

T-Boon

Coach
Like by having everyone singalong to a 30 second song once per game?

Yes, plus:

1.Free small game day magazine - mainly ads and profiles;
2. Catch ball keep ball section (behind goal post); or catch ball trade ball;
3. Colour days - Parra could have a Gold Game (see GSW) - Storm could have Purple Haze;
4. Each club could have their own tradition as to how they enter the playing field - try to be creative;
5. You could have those banners that they run through like in AFL they seem to like those but since that is already AFLs thing lets come up with some other traditions you only get to experience by being at the game;
6. Improve the cheer squad - try to lead cheers - not just dance then sit there frowning - O-H-I-O;
7. Have friendly ushers - when I went to SunTrust Stadium I had 3 ushers great me with "enjoy the game" before I got to my seat. They seemed to mean it as well.
8. Have a coin toss;
9. Have a big loud brass band;
10. Have an organ or a bag pipe or something.
11. etc etc.
12. Members parking tailgate area.

Get a competition going between the clubs to see who can do the best game day experience.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Watching Todd on 360 indicated to me he wants more games at ANZ and Allianz when both stadiums are fully completed in the new development which in his mind would help crowds. I don't think that will help crowds as much unless he puts on the right games and right scheduling which has one of the big reasons why crowds are down yet was not questioned about it.

I really hope (and my suspision is that he has it in mind) that Greeny creates a minimum standard for NRL stadiums that naturally excludes places like Liechhardt and Brooky...

Either the clubs can get the necesary funding (local councils will know that not funding the grounds will mean losing the teams) or they can take their games over to decent stadiums in decent locations.

Doesnt need to be ANZ/SFS, but there are middle options between the huge stadiums and the shitty suburban dumps...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You want to create rivalry and tribalism by forcing all Sydney clubs to play out of 2 stadiums, with only 1 of those stadiums actually falling a club's traditional heartland?

Yeh, you f*ckin can. Infact it will massively help attendance...

Neutral ground between 2 Sydney areas to bring fans from both clubs (rather than locking it away in each clubs own suburb and telling to opposition fans to f*ck off and watch it on tv) will see a huge boost in attendance.

Each club can have their own suburban grounds for training and maybe even for out of town opponents. But this idea that clubs would rather have shitty crowds that lose their home ground advantage is f*cking childish...

M2D2

Bench
Yeh, you f*ckin can. Infact it will massively help attendance...

Neutral ground between 2 Sydney areas to bring fans from both clubs (rather than locking it away in each clubs own suburb and telling to opposition fans to f*ck off and watch it on tv) will see a huge boost in attendance..
What bullshit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You mean like the extra $4.6mill a year nrl grant that tne Storm got for years, or the salary cap which creates an artificial equality between clubs and rewards mediocre businesses?
You know if you actually bothered to discuss with people instead of posting inflammatory, emotionally charged bullshit...

You mean like the extra $4.6mill a year nrl grant that tne Storm got for years, or the salary cap which creates an artificial equality between clubs and rewards mediocre businesses?
You f**king dickhead
No NRL club gets any more on field benefits than any other
It's a level playing field on field
Can't say the same for the Afl.
Clubs given extra $$$$to pay players
Clubs given all the best young stick insects
It's a compromised rigged unfair comp
Set up for certain teams to do well .

The NRL is nothing like that

To even try to compare is laughable
But you do
& you wonder why you get laughed at
.Youre a fumbleball apologist

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What bullshit.

The only value in maintaining 9 Sydney clubs is the rivalry between these 9 clubs...

We could cut the Sydney clubs down to 4/5 and allow them to swallow up all of the support (then we would only need the home team bringing fans). But since we are sticking with the "small, suburban club" model, games need to attract fans from both sides of the contest.

If you want home ground advantage, move your club to Perth. Sydney clubs should play in Sydneys best stadiums where all Sydney fans can attend.

But, of course, we will here the typical Sydney-fan whinge; "how dare the NRL not have a team on every single street?!?!?! Wahhh"

Clifferd

Coach
Pax numbers please for the Roosters v Cows?

Someone last night posted 16k Pax. Probably over 20k now, hopefully another 5k each day leading up to Saturday + walk ups should nudge it just above 35

Looking at ticket availability for the Melbourne game looks close to a sell out

I think it'll be

Melbourne v Brisbane 29.5k (sell-out)
Roosters v Cowboys 36k

Saint Doc

Coach
The NRL has missed a trick this week. This whole "ditch your tribalism and cheer Sydney's Roosters" business is the most ridiculous marketing strategy I've ever heard.

You know what would have worked? "Sydney...it's time to cheer the cowboys. Whoever you support, get to SFS and cheer on the underdog 8th spot cowboys missing their stars and help ensure the Roosters don't make the GF".
I honestly believe that strategy would achieve a sellout

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL has missed a trick this week. This whole "ditch your tribalism and cheer Sydney's Roosters" business is the most ridiculous marketing strategy I've ever heard.

You know what would have worked? "Sydney...it's time to cheer the cowboys. Whoever you support, get to SFS and cheer on the underdog 8th spot cowboys missing their stars and help ensure the Roosters don't make the GF".
I honestly believe that strategy would achieve a sellout
it's the DT promoting it that way