What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Outside of his first season, with one of the greatest players of all time, he's never made the top 4.

If you take away that first season his win percentage is 52%. That's decidedly average.

3rd - once
6th - once
7th - once
8th - twice
12 - once

Mean = 8.8

Take out the two outliers and you get an average of 7.25

Teams in the 6-10 bracket are the average teams, and he's almost always there.

If you want to be very precise he's a slightly above average coach. Very slightly.

How do you finish 12th with a club that can pay more than any other for their playing group via 3rd party deals? 7 day turnarounds every week, the best facilities, best home ground advantage.....what more do you need? And why does anyone think he will do better with us than he did with Brisbane? Our results have been smack bang on his average from Brisbane, we play the same footy as they did even but we don't have all those advantages.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Only way I'd even consider Williams is on a (very low) one year rolling contract. Dude plays his best when the specter of unemployment hangs over him.

TheFrog

Coach
If you take away that first season his win percentage is 52%. That's decidedly average.
Other coaches have champion players as well, so I don't think its fair to exclude his best year. That makes his win rate 55%. If a 55% win rate in the NRL doesn't make you an adequate NRL coach there's something very wrong somewhere.

betcats

Referee
Other coaches have champion players as well, so I don't think its fair to exclude his best year. That makes his win rate 55%. If a 55% win rate in the NRL doesn't make you an adequate NRL coach there's something very wrong somewhere.

Looking at winning percentages alone doesn't tell anywhere near the full story.

OldPanther

Coach

I'm surprised he didn't at least make a GF at Brisbane. Their roster issues this year is the first time I haven't thought of them as a threat.

Adequate = average, doesn't it? I said he was average.

But to be fair I didn't just exclude his best year, I also excluded his worst in another stat. The truth lies in the middle.

Pomoz

Bench
Outside of his first season, with one of the greatest players of all time, he's never made the top 4.

3rd - once
6th - once
7th - once
8th - twice
12 - once

Mean = 8.8

Take out the two outliers and you get an average of 7.25

Teams in the 6-10 bracket are the average teams, and he's almost always there.

If you want to be very precise he's a slightly above average coach. Very slightly.
So what you are saying is, when he lost one of the greatest players of all time (your words), he didn't do as well. Funny that.

To this day, the Broncos haven't replaced Lockyer with anybody of equal calibre. The Broncos roster management was terrible during Hooks regime. They let Norman go, acquired an out of sorts Barba for a year and had to do with Wallace as half and a young Ben Hunt.

When Bennett came on board they got Boyd and Milford which is two better spine players than Hook had then and has now. I'm sure he would have loved to have those two in his team. It's all about the spine. The Storm have rotated players around the big three continuously and they just keep them like a well oiled machine.

When you think about it, that is exactly our problem this year. The forwards and back five got us to the red zone continuously. Even against sides like the Storm. Then it just went flat because the halves were inexperienced, not gelling or were injured. Hook has to get them working better next year, or it is time to move on.

Panfa

Juniors
There wil be plenty of pressure on hook next yr i think he has done a reasonable job with a team that has young halves.There are some good coaches out there looking for an oppurtunity and with the facilities and talent we have he wont wanna miss the 8 next yr or he could be gonners.Gus tried to get hasler before we signed cleary he knocked us back then he wont knock us back again personally hasler wont be good for us as he wont promote young talent but if griffin has a shocker next yr look out.

Average in Rugby League/sport circles appears to mean poor..

Well to be clear I think he's a middle of the road coach, not terrible, not great.

I think many of us (not necessarily you) tend to think in binary terms with coaches & players.

Griffin doesn't fall into either the good or bad category.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is, when he lost one of the greatest players of all time (your words), he didn't do as well. Funny that.

To this day, the Broncos haven't replaced Lockyer with anybody of equal calibre. The Broncos roster management was terrible during Hooks regime. They let Norman go, acquired an out of sorts Barba for a year and had to do with Wallace as half and a young Ben Hunt.

When Bennett came on board they got Boyd and Milford which is two better spine players than Hook had then and has now. I'm sure he would have loved to have those two in his team. It's all about the spine. The Storm have rotated players around the big three continuously and they just keep them like a well oiled machine.

When you think about it, that is exactly our problem this year. The forwards and back five got us to the red zone continuously. Even against sides like the Storm. Then it just went flat because the halves were inexperienced, not gelling or were injured. Hook has to get them working better next year, or it is time to move on.

Interestingly enough they got worse 2 seasons after Lockyer left.

Of course he was never going to do as well after Lockyer left, but he had three seasons without Lockyer & the best he managed was 8th. He clearly failed to get improvement out of his squad.

Pomoz

Bench
There wil be plenty of pressure on hook next yr i think he has done a reasonable job with a team that has young halves.There are some good coaches out there looking for an oppurtunity and with the facilities and talent we have he wont wanna miss the 8 next yr or he could be gonners.Gus tried to get hasler before we signed cleary he knocked us back then he wont knock us back again personally hasler wont be good for us as he wont promote young talent but if griffin has a shocker next yr look out.
I don't know what others think but I used to think Hasler would be great, but his lack of focus on the lower grades has put me off him. He did the same at Manly. He is a bit like Elliot in that regard. He only cares about first grade and will want a cheque book to solve issues rather than build something sustainable. He is also a sook with the media and that isn't good for the image of the club, or good for trying to generate sponsorship dollars.

Right now Hasler and Maguire are available. I would say that probably cuts off Brennan's hopes of getting a gig at the Titans. The Dogs will hire within by all accounts.

Timing is everything and Brennan deserves a break. Personally I hope he stays on longer and if Hook fails he can step in immediately without major disruption to the club. If Hook succeeds then I hope he finds something next year.

Pomoz

Bench
Interestingly enough they got worse 2 seasons after Lockyer left.

Of course he was never going to do as well after Lockyer left, but he had three seasons without Lockyer & the best he managed was 8th. He clearly failed to get improvement out of his squad.
It's almost a repeat of the Panthers. He had a young spine and they struggled to score. The first thing Bennet did was get two new spine players. One of which was hugely experienced (and very underrated imo) and an SOO veteran. Voila, the team improves. Im not discounting Bennett's coaching skills either. After all, he is the most successful coach of all time. But it sure helps to score an SOO fullback.

It would have been great if Soward could have lasted a bit longer but his body was so shot he couldn't even shine in Super League. He would have been a great mentor for Cleary if he could have stayed out on the field.

It looks like our boys are going to have to do it the hard way and learn their trade on the field with coaching and hopefully assistance from a more experienced captain at 5/8th. I think it means it will take longer to win a premiership this way, but the beauty of sport is, there is always hope......

Panfa

Juniors
1 thing i can say about hook is he has instilled a mental toughness in our team he has promoted juniors and made the semis twice.This season wasnt pretty but we still made it even though many people wrote us off after 9 rds if we make the semis again next yr hook will be the first penrith coach to make the finals in 3 consecutive yrs not a bad effort but we need to challenge for a title not be happy with just getting to the semis

I don't know what others think but I used to think Hasler would be great, but his lack of focus on the lower grades has put me off him. He did the same at Manly. He is a bit like Elliot in that regard. He only cares about first grade and will want a cheque book to solve issues rather than build something sustainable. He is also a sook with the media and that isn't good for the image of the club, or good for trying to generate sponsorship dollars.

Right now Hasler and Maguire are available. I would say that probably cuts off Brennan's hopes of getting a gig at the Titans. The Dogs will hire within by all accounts.

Timing is everything and Brennan deserves a break. Personally I hope he stays on longer and if Hook fails he can step in immediately without major disruption to the club. If Hook succeeds then I hope he finds something next year.

Was genuinely about to post something similar.

Griffin stays but if the team hasn't improved in attack by mid next year Brennan could immediately step in. He knows everyone very well, would be easy. And it genuinely doesn't look like he has a chance with the Titans. According to him they haven't even asked for an interview.

There should be no place for a second half of the season comeback for Griffin in 2018. First 12 rounds are everything.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Found this in the SMH from yesterday morning...not sure if it's already been posted but here you go.

Good signs for Moylan

Matt Moylan seems to be in a much better head space. He spent time with his Panthers teammates celebrating Mad Monday after watching their season come to an end at the hands of the Broncos. Club insiders have noticed a huge improvement in his commitment to his rehabilitation, one of the issues at the surface of tension between the player and coach Anthony Griffin. The club would have had a huge decision to make this week had they knocked over Brisbane given five-eighth Tyrone May ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and Moylan had been progressing with both his hamstring rehab and counselling. As it stands, the Panthers are planning to start next year with Moylan in the halves and have been toying with the thought of shifting May into the lock position if he bulked up over the off-season. Moylan, however, is still no certainty to remain at the club next year. He hasn't asked for a release but will have some time over the coming weeks to determine if Penrith is where he wants to continue his NRL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.