What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Exactly. It doesn't require a long-term (6 month) investment of time and energy. There's no room for fan fatigue.

T-Boon

Coach
This isn't the first time you have posted this story and each time you get told why the big bash draws big attendances but I'll tell you again.

The competition is played in the summer school break meaning kids are obviously off school as well as a good portion of parents off work and a good portion of society in general over the slow January period. Even for people who are working, it is normally no issue leaving work early in January. This means that the games can be played at any time.

Sydney and Melbourne have 2 teams and the other capital cities have one team. Each club only has to sell 4 home games (5 or 6 if they host finals which sell themselves). Given those numbers, if the average cricket fan goes to one BBL game in their home city each season you will still get sell outs at most grounds for each game.

That is one of the reasons it is drawing great crowds. But you are stretching to say it is THE reason.
I think if it was THE reason then they could shift Sheffield Shield or 50 over cricket to an evening slot and get the same great crowd at that time.
There are obviously additional reasons such as (1) they made the game itself exciting as hell for the kids and (2) they made it interactive as hell by improving the GAME DAY EXPERIENCE. They do that DAY-OH thing and the kids love it and that Greek thing. The players and staff are in a dug out on the sideline. I would need to go to a game to see what else is up.
I can guarantee you this: if the running of Big Bash was left to the same guys who run NRL clubs it would be like Sheffield Shield within 5 years.
Edit: I just googled Big Bash Game Day experience. They promote it on their home page with words like: "3 hours of excitement, fireworks, music and other entertainment"....I can't recall even reading the word cricket. The one photo is of a dude flying around with a jetpack.

Last edited:
Answer the question. Did the nrl treat storm differently by giving them more than $4mill a year more than other clubs for years and did this give them an advatage? Yes or No?
Simple question even for the likes of you.
You braindead idiot
We were discussing how the swans & GWS got extra ONFIELD help
They compromised the integrity of the comp to ensure success .

There's nothing wrong with putting money into a non heartland club to help them grow
There's plenty wrong with rigging the comp .
You seem to be too stupid to understand ..
Every team that runs on the field in the NRL is on a level playing field
Same salary cap
Same dollars
No talent stacked in one club by the NRL.

The complete opposite in AFL.

Over to you brains

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How has moving out of their heartland to share a stadium with multiple other clubs worked out for Souths?

Those years of +20k averages were pretty good. Its a shame that, now they are going badly, the other clubs arent picking up the slack...

Sure, the Roosters are averaging 20k (while playing out of the SFS btw), but the rest of Sydney's successful clubs are out in the suburbs stuck at 10-13k.

If only there was something the suburban clubs could do to boost their crowds. Lets see: Centralised stadiums get big crowds, suburban stadiums get shit all; Stephen Hawking couldnt figure this one out!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
This isn't the first time you have posted this story and each time you get told why the big bash draws big attendances but I'll tell you again.

The competition is played in the summer school break meaning kids are obviously off school as well as a good portion of parents off work and a good portion of society in general over the slow January period. Even for people who are working, it is normally no issue leaving work early in January. This means that the games can be played at any time.

Sydney and Melbourne have 2 teams and the other capital cities have one team. Each club only has to sell 4 home games (5 or 6 if they host finals which sell themselves). Given those numbers, if the average cricket fan goes to one BBL game in their home city each season you will still get sell outs at most grounds for each game.

I know there's reasons, maybe we can learn from some of them?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You braindead idiot
We were discussing how the swans & GWS got extra ONFIELD help
They compromised the integrity of the comp to ensure success .

There's nothing wrong with putting money into a non heartland club to help them grow
There's plenty wrong with rigging the comp .
You seem to be too stupid to understand ..
Every team that runs on the field in the NRL is on a level playing field
Same salary cap
Same dollars
No talent stacked in one club by the NRL.

The complete opposite in AFL.

Over to you brains

So that's a yes? We agree NRL also has a inequitable system that supports its expansion club over traditional clubs. Sweet, glad we cleared that up. Seems the NRL and AFL are both doing something right.

adamkungl

Immortal
ps do you really believe this??? lol. Your naivety is astounding! So Broncos and Storm are on a level playing field with Penrith and Cronulla? cough, TPA's, cough

The point is head office isn't giving specific clubs an explicit advantage.
Everyone is playing by the same $ grant and same rules. Some clubs are better position to take advantage of the rules, but it is literally impossible for that not to be the case in any sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clearly Melbourne getting $4.6mill a year more than any other club def does give them an advantage. Just consider all the wrestling coaches that can employ lol. Sure it isn't the same as draft picks and salary cap concessions, but to suggest the NRL doesn't also have its systems that A) artificially creates an environment by bringing the richer clubs or those with better Jnr systems down to the lowest denominator clubs levels, B) that its expansion club hasn't had massive extra cash injections that have helped that club be one of the most successful in the last decade is laughable.

But we are off crowds so I'll leave it there, carry on with the AFL hating peeps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I hate it that much that I travelled around the world to watch the challenge cup final couple of years ago and will probably spend $3k going to the GF in a couple of weeks time :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to crowds......

How quickly is GF likely to sell out once teams are confirmed? I presume each club participating gets a section of tickets for its fans that they make available?

T-Boon

Coach
As a game day thing the Knights should get in the Sydney medieval club to do performances of medieval fighting. Have they ever done that. Maybe even employ them each home game.
Did people know the world jousting championships are in Sydney next year? Get in on it Knights.

Clifferd

Coach
Wonder how the ticket sales are doing for both finals this weekend? Hope they are good.

Storm game looks pretty much sold out which is good.

Can't tell you about the roosters game, but both supporter bays are sold

Anyone got paxes?

Latest posts